Multi-touch on Eclair

Jerry

Nov 5, 2009, 7:44:05 AM11/5/09
to android-porting, jeff1...@asus.com.tw
Anyone knows about the multi-touch support on Eclair? Including the
feature and schedule? If yes, any API documentation could be
downloaded for development reference?

-Jery

Dianne Hackborn

Nov 5, 2009, 1:12:41 PM11/5/09
to android...@googlegroups.com, jeff1...@asus.com.tw
The new APIs are all on MotionEvent:

Please look at android-developers where I have posted about the new APIs and answered questions.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support, and so won't reply to such e-mails.  All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

jeff218

Nov 5, 2009, 10:50:12 PM11/5/09
to android-porting
Hi, So it seems there is no multi-touch gesture engine is built-in in
Eclair.
Which means every signle application has to define and do their own
gesture recognition,right?

Can I get the details of the HAL of multi-touch interface for touch
panel driver?
And can we have a list of touch panel vendor list which has supported
or is doing this feature?
Thank,
Jeff

On 11月6日, 上午2時12分, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> The new APIs are all on MotionEvent:
>
> http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/MotionEvent.html
>
>  <http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/MotionEvent.html>Please
> look at android-developers where I have posted about the new APIs and
> answered questions.
>
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 4:44 AM, Jerry <jjih0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone knows about the multi-touch support on Eclair? Including the
> > feature and schedule? If yes, any API documentation could be
> > downloaded for development reference?
>
> > -Jery
>
> > --
>
> --
> Dianne Hackborn
> Android framework engineer
> hack...@android.com

Dianne Hackborn

Nov 7, 2009, 1:29:15 PM11/7/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
There is no HAL; the system uses the standard Linux multitouch driver protocol.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hac...@android.com

Chan Jeff

Nov 25, 2009, 1:31:11 AM11/25/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
1. Where can I get the details of multi-touch driver protocol? It's just about multiple standard input event output under /dev/input/eventX or there is some other special driver model.
Please help to hint.

2. I can see action pointer 1,2,3 define in 2.0 MotionEvent. Which mean multitouch support in Eclair is up to 3 pointer,right?

Thanks for your help,
    BR,
         Jeff

Dianne Hackborn

Nov 25, 2009, 2:15:24 AM11/25/09
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Chan Jeff <jeff0...@gmail.com> wrote:
1. Where can I get the details of multi-touch driver protocol? It's just about multiple standard input event output under /dev/input/eventX or there is some other special driver model.
Please help to hint.

It's the recently defined standard linux protocol:

2. I can see action pointer 1,2,3 define in 2.0 MotionEvent. Which mean multitouch support in Eclair is up to 3 pointer,right?

It supports up to 256.

Chan Jeff

Nov 26, 2009, 8:18:01 AM11/26/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

After checking the android-2.6.29 I have,there's no such protocol was found. It seems MT protocol only available after linux kernel 2.6.30. Do I have to wait android 2.6.30 or any other way to approach it?

Dianne Hackborn

Nov 26, 2009, 2:39:29 PM11/26/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I can't help you with the kernel.  I just know that is the protocol defined, and 2.0 that is what I implemented the framework to handle when it gets those events from the driver.

sparq

Nov 30, 2009, 9:26:29 PM11/30/09
to android-porting
Hi, I study the multi-touch protocol and eclair framework.
The framework doesn't support ABS_MT_TRACKING_ID event type.
But more new multitouch devices can support tracking in hardware, they
can report each contact ID and status (down/up).
They doesn't need framework to handle the tracking issue.
Does anyone know that android can support these device or when the
framework will support ABS_MT_TRACKING_ID event type?

On 11月27日, 上午3時39分, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> Sorry I can't help you with the kernel.  I just know that is the protocol
> defined, and 2.0 that is what I implemented the framework to handle when it
> gets those events from the driver.
>

> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 5:18 AM, Chan Jeff <jeff021...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks.
>
> > After checking the android-2.6.29 I have,there's no such protocol was
> > found. It seems MT protocol only available after linux kernel 2.6.30. Do I
> > have to wait android 2.6.30 or any other way to approach it?

> >> It's the recently defined standard linux protocol:
>
> >>http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/input/multi-touch-protoc...
>
> >> <http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/input/multi-touch-protoc...>

> >> It supports up to 256.
>
> >> --
> >> Dianne Hackborn
> >> Android framework engineer
> >> hack...@android.com
>
> >> Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to
> >> provide private support, and so won't reply to such e-mails.  All such
> >> questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and
> >> answer them.
>
> >>  --
>
> --
> Dianne Hackborn
> Android framework engineer
> hack...@android.com

Dianne Hackborn

Dec 1, 2009, 1:03:52 AM12/1/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
It supports these devices, it just currently doesn't take advantage of the additional information available about the tracking IDs.  I don't have a schedule for when that might be added.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hac...@android.com

Abhinayak Mishra

Dec 1, 2009, 1:10:44 AM12/1/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
So, Eclair, actually uses the software in UI framework to track IDs internally ? What happens when a person presses down on the touch panel, keeps one finger pressed, but lifts up and presses the second finger intermittently? the ids keep on growing till all the fingers are lifted up or the second touch always gets the id 2 even if there an intermittent lift in between?

davemac

Nov 25, 2009, 6:50:19 AM11/25/09
to android-porting
Devices may not support that many. My Motorola Droid only appears to
support 2.

- dave

On Nov 25, 2:15 am, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Chan Jeff <jeff021...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1. Where can I get the details of multi-touch driver protocol? It's just
> > about multiple standard input event output under /dev/input/eventX or there
> > is some other special driver model.
> > Please help to hint.
>
> It's the recently defined standard linux protocol:
>
> http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/input/multi-touch-protoc...
> <http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/input/multi-touch-protoc...>
>
> > 2. I can see action pointer 1,2,3 define in 2.0 MotionEvent. Which mean
> > multitouch support in Eclair is up to 3 pointer,right?
>
> It supports up to 256.
>
> --
> Dianne Hackborn
> Android framework engineer
> hack...@android.com

Dianne Hackborn

Dec 1, 2009, 2:20:06 PM12/1/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
What do you mean keeps on growing?  The when the second finger goes down again, it looks at the distances to determine which it is, and the point it considers to be new is given the next available finger id (which in this case would be the same id as the one that went up before).

Abhinayak Mishra

Dec 1, 2009, 2:28:30 PM12/1/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
Usually how it is implemented is the finger ids would keep on growing.

Let me explain :
1. Finger one down , assigned id 0
2. Finger two down , assigned id 1
3. Finger two up, one still down and assigned id 0
4. Finger two down again, now assigned id 2 instead of 1.

Only once all the fingers have been lifted, should the ids roll back ideally, but again the implementation inside eclair might be different, and we all are just trying to figure out how it works...

Dianne Hackborn

Dec 1, 2009, 4:31:04 PM12/1/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
That's not how the MotionEvent API works.