HW acceleration of OpenGL on Android x86

Chia-I Wu

Jun 9, 2009, 4:56:25 AM6/9/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We (0xlab.org) have successfully accelerated opengl on android x86 using
mesa i915 dri driver. The work is more a proof-of-concept, but it does
show that it is possible to re-use the hard work of mesa/intel guys in
android. For more details and the source code, please visist the
project page

http://gitorious.org/android-eeepc/pages/Home

Here is a clip demonstrating "wave effect" on android

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ricl2Kg3pMI

There are still many places need to be tuned, and there are some major
issues. One of them, for example, is that the i915 dri driver
implements OpenGL, not OpenGL ES.

Our libhgl.so is based on eagle[1]. Both mesa and drm are compiled
unmodified, except for fixes to compilation issues. The modifications
to frameworks/base/ are minimal[2], but is a little dirty with some
hardcoded assumptions. Please have a look and test out if you are
interested. Any feedback are highly welcomed.

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~krh/eagle
[2] http://gitorious.org/android-eeepc/base/commits/gem

--
Regards,
olv

liuhy

Jun 9, 2009, 9:35:45 AM6/9/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
a good news.
3x

liuhy

Jun 9, 2009, 10:11:27 AM6/9/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
can your branch run on vmware? or only  on eeepc ?
3x

Chia-I Wu

Jun 9, 2009, 8:04:13 PM6/9/09
to liuhy, android...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 10:11:27PM +0800, liuhy wrote:
> can your branch run on vmware? or only on eeepc ?
I don't think it runs on vmware. It should work on any machine with
graphcis chipsets supported by i915 (which covers a wide range of
intel's graphics chipsets). But it is only verified on eeepc so far.

--
Regards,
olv

Divyang Makwana

Nov 4, 2014, 11:04:02 AM11/4/14
to android...@googlegroups.com
I would wait for Virtualbox new versions to support opengl es.