Android INIT not loading firmware

mvniekerk

Feb 24, 2009, 10:10:13 AM2/24/09
to android-porting
Android replaces udev and hotplug with its own substitute helper
program(s). While having a look at /system/core/init/devices.c I see
that it even has support for loading firmware (like in binary blobs
for wifi drivers), thus I deduct that init handles these calls.

Now here's the problem, when I run "request_firmware" from my kernel
android init doesn't pick up the uevent (and obviously doesn't copy
the firmware to the right /sys file).
Even setting it as the firmware helper in the kernel (which normally
goes to hotplug) only results in the system hanging on bootup.

So, all ye Android platform porters, what is the elegant Android way
of running an "insmod" that needs firmware?

David Turner

Feb 24, 2009, 10:14:55 AM2/24/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
You need to run the insmod in a separate process launched by init.

mvniekerk

Feb 24, 2009, 10:32:36 AM2/24/09
to android-porting
And the kernel, what must I do about the kernel firmware helper? (make
menuconfig->Device Drivers->Generic Driver Options->path to uevent
helper)

On Feb 24, 5:14 pm, David Turner <di...@android.com> wrote:
> You need to run the insmod in a separate process launched by init.

mvniekerk

Feb 24, 2009, 1:53:56 PM2/24/09
to android-porting
By doing insmod manually works when in the sh shell, but putting
"insmod /lib/modules/2.6.25/kernel/drivers/mmc/card/unifi_fs/
unifimodule.ko" does not work. Any pointers?

mvniekerk

Feb 24, 2009, 2:00:48 PM2/24/09
to android-porting
Sorry, I had a pebkac problem. Typo on the path on the init.rc. It
works! Thanks David.