Outstanding cupcake -> master merge

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 17, 2009, 9:35:02 PM3/17/09
to Jean-Baptiste Queru
[bcc android-platform, android-framework, android-porting]

I'm working on merging the latest cupcake code drop into master. The
task is quite hairy, so the following two guidelines probably apply:

-please don't submit anything in gerrit, as you'll just get in my way.
-now is a good time to repo sync master, as I'm going to have to
submit the result of the merge in a state where it doesn't build, and
I have no idea how long it'll take to get it to build again after
that.

Thanks,
JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Android Engineer, Google.

warning.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 18, 2009, 3:43:46 PM3/18/09
to Jean-Baptiste Queru
I expect to start submitting the changes in about an hour, i.e.
between 1:30pm and 2pm PDT.

Starting right now, you may want to avoid initiating a new repo sync,
unless you're OK ending up with a tree that might not even compile.

JBQ

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 18, 2009, 10:57:05 PM3/18/09
to Jean-Baptiste Queru
I've submitted the merge (106 projects!), and I believe that the tree
is in the state that it should be.

Caveats:

-THE BUILD IS BROKEN. You've been warned. There's been some drift
around OpenCORE (probably situations where new code was written in
cupcake that uses OpenCORE 1, or where APIs were removed in cupcake
that OpenCORE 2 relies on).

The proper command to try to merge the OpenCORE code should be "git
merge remotes/korg/cupcake" (I'm typing from memory).

-I'm not 100% sure that the server contains exactly what it should.
I've had a filesystem failure right as I was trying to verify it, and
I'm not gonna be able to verify until at least sometime tomorrow.

JBQ

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 19, 2009, 4:07:44 PM3/19/09
to Jean-Baptiste Queru
I've put together a hack that allows the system to compile and start
all the way to the home app. I worked with the delicateness of
open-heart surgery performed with a chainsaw.

Steps:

-remove the opencore files ( rm -rf external/opencore
.repo/projects/external/opencore.git ). Remove opencore from your
.repo/manifest.xml if you intend to repo sync the entire world but
don't want to have to remove opencore every single time.

-patch in change 9300 ( repo download platform/frameworks/base 9300/1 )

-most probably do a clean build ( rm -rf out/ ; make )

I've "tested" on a device/release/generic/userdebug build. On my
machine, it compiles, launches. The media process dies (which probably
means that downloads are busted too), as well as the music player. The
browser starts and can access the network.

JBQ

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 21, 2009, 2:50:03 PM3/21/09
to Jean-Baptiste Queru
I've been working on a "better" batch of patches (now it feels more
like open-heart surgery with a meat cleaver):

-no need to delete the opencore directory or to remove it from the manifest.

-you need to repo download changes 9355, 9356 and 9357. No need to
take 9300. I know it's 3 changes instead of 1, because I had to touch
a few more parts of the system, but those are much cleaner.

-only tested on the emulator, so those might very well cause
regressions on dream.

JBQ

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 22, 2009, 1:35:45 AM3/22/09
to Jean-Baptiste Queru
[still bcc android-platform, android-framework, android-porting]

Latest status:

-we're back to one patch: 9356.

-build with "BUILD_WITHOUT_PV=true make"

-quickly tested both on emulator and dream, and seems to work well
enough to not have the phone app crash in a loop.

-I expect to submit 9356 on Monday morning PDT.

JBQ

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 23, 2009, 9:37:59 PM3/23/09
to Jean-Baptiste Queru
[still bcc android-platform, android-framework, android-porting]

We're now one step closer. Change 9356 was submitted, so that the
source tree "as is" can be compiled.

You still need to set BUILD_WITHOUT_PV=true.

JBQ

Michael Trimarchi

Mar 24, 2009, 2:27:24 PM3/24/09
to android...@googlegroups.com, Jean-Baptiste Queru
Maybe this one can help someone to compile. I patch the koolu version of
the opencore,
to compile on master.

Michael

opencore_compile.patch

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 30, 2009, 8:26:53 PM3/30/09
to Jean-Baptiste Queru
[still bcc android-platform, android-framework, android-porting]

Final status on this:

-BUILD_WITHOUT_PV=true is now the default in master, so that a plain
"make" should work again. This is still only a temporary hack and
we'll have to fix this the right way in the future, but it'll let
people build "out of the box".

-Sorry for the delay in getting this done. Everything has been hectic.

JBQ

Brian

Mar 30, 2009, 8:55:21 PM3/30/09
to android-porting
Hi JBQ,

Have you also tested the compilation of cupcake x86 eee pc?
The repository I downloaded about a week ago compiles, but the latest
ones (I downloaded a few days ago and today) do not compile.
I'm getting the following error.
What can be a quick fix?

Thanks,
Brian

Copy: out/target/product/eee_701/installer/root/system/bin/netcfg
Copying installer base files...
Copy: out/target/product/eee_701/obj/lib/libdiskconfig.so -> out/
target/product/eee_701/installer/root/system/lib/libdiskconfig.so
Copy: ->
dirname: missing operand
Try `dirname --help' for more information.
mkdir: missing operand
Try `mkdir --help' for more information.
cp: missing file operand
Try `cp --help' for more information.
[...]
make: *** [out/target/product/eee_701/installer/ramdisk-installer.img]
Error 1

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 30, 2009, 9:01:56 PM3/30/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
I most definitely haven't tested it.

My best guess from the look of the error log is that the eee
Android.mk is still using the "old" build system, which is likely to
cause problems. I have no idea how to fix that, though.

JBQ

Brian

Mar 30, 2009, 9:06:27 PM3/30/09
to android-porting
Thanks, JBQ.

For now, I'd like to get some old android repository.
For example, I want to get the March-23-2009 snapshot of the git
repository.
How can I do it with repo/git?

Thanks,
Brian
> Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru...
>
> read more »

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 30, 2009, 9:39:51 PM3/30/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
You need to find someone who has a source tree in that state, have
them execute "repo manifest -r -" and send you the output.

JBQ