Can Android be ported to Samsung Corby Pro?

Lesiroth

Feb 28, 2010, 10:46:53 AM2/28/10
to android-porting
Hello,
I'm wondering about the possibility of porting Android to the Samsung
Corby Pro (GT-B5310)? It has decent specs, accelerometer, Qwerty
keyboard and touchscreen, it's sadly limited with the built-in OS, so
I'm wondering if it is possible, and I'm willing to help as much as I
can, through development,donations..

Thank you!

Chris Stratton

Feb 28, 2010, 2:40:50 PM2/28/10
to android-porting
What I can find in the way of specs makes it look a bit limited. But
even in the realm of squeezing a limited sd card based build in, your
questions are going to be a) can you execute arbitrary privileged code
such as the linux kernel you would have to get running on it, and b)
can you figure out enough about the hardware to draw on the screen,
read touches, and make phonecalls.

You are probably better off picking up a g1 on the used market, though
in a year or two phones in this price class might be shipping with.
android.

Lesiroth

Feb 28, 2010, 4:37:13 PM2/28/10
to android-porting
It's not that I can't buy a Phone with Android, I already have a Nexus
One, it's just that I have one of these Samsung phones and wanted to
poke around with it :P

> > Thank you!- Hide quoted text -

Chris Stratton

Feb 28, 2010, 10:13:37 PM2/28/10
to android-porting
And the first question remains, can you execute arbitrary privileged
code on it? Until the answer to that is yes, porting android is out
of the question.

Goki

Mar 16, 2010, 5:28:59 PM3/16/10
to android-porting
U can enter in to Boot manager mode (MBM) of Samsung corby pro by
holding CAMERA + VOLUME LOWER key while switching on the phone.

Base of the current Corby OS is linux, i guess so.....

Any one can work on phone in MBM mode???? Pls try out.

Hope once we learn abt current OS in Corby Pro we can talk about
Porting android.

Deva R

Mar 17, 2010, 4:30:21 AM3/17/10
to gokulkr...@gmail.com, android-porting
I always wonder at this..
provided you get control to processor and memories, you can make a
HLOS to boot and work with specs or trail&error.

but how to get the modem in the phone working?? (could be any thing -
cdma/gsm/3g)
i guess it will be like - u can reuse existing modem firmware and
stack, and should make your android telephony to talk to modem
mimicking existing IPC interface..

LG

Mar 17, 2010, 9:07:21 AM3/17/10
to r.de...@gmail.com, gokulkr...@gmail.com, android-porting
OS of Samsung Corby is not linux. It is proprietary samsung OS
and i dont think so it is possible to port another OS on it

LG

Gokul krishna

Mar 17, 2010, 9:10:00 AM3/17/10
to LG, r.de...@gmail.com, android-porting
I didnt said its Linux OS. Said it runs on linux kernel. If u see the filesystem structure, u will know about it

Gopalakrishnan A.N

Mar 30, 2011, 7:44:19 AM3/30/11
to android...@googlegroups.com, LG, r.de...@gmail.com
Hi,

Shall we port Android to this Corby pro? Can it be done...