[x86] Unable to open persistent property directory

Androidphan

Mar 5, 2009, 10:54:49 AM3/5/09
to android-porting
I'm getting the following error when booting Android over NFS:

Unable to open persistent property directory /data/property errno: 2

The kernel is load over a TFTP connection.

For the root filesystem I copied the dir: ../out/target/product/
eee_701/root/ content to ../nfs/root/.
Then I copied the ../out/target/product/eee_701/system directory to
the ../nfs/root/system/

This directory is mounted as its root filesystem over NFS.

Why am I getting this error on the data directory? This directory
shouldn't have anything in it at this stage right?

Sean McNeil

Mar 5, 2009, 11:03:48 AM3/5/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
Android must have a writable area that it calls /data. It places all
kinds of information in there including user preferences, dalvik cache,
etc. If you are mounting everything as / over nfs, then you probably
don't have a separate /data partition somewhere that is mounted rw.
You'll have to modify your init.rc so that it doesn't remount / as ro.

Androidphan

Mar 6, 2009, 3:18:25 AM3/6/09
to android-porting
Is the init.rc called in the ramdisk or by init after kernel is done?

Androidphan

Mar 6, 2009, 4:53:41 AM3/6/09
to android-porting
Android is working now. I'm starting without the ramdisk. With kernel
argument init=/init and changed init.rc so it doesn't mount the rootfs
again. Then when having a blank screen I added the argument vga=788
and then it booted. :)

Brian

Mar 22, 2009, 11:53:57 AM3/22/09
to android-porting
I am getting the same error message when I ran the android x86 eeepc
in vmware.
init: Unable to open persistent property directory /data/property
errno: 2
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
# I/installer( 1975): Waiting for device: /dev/block/sdb2

#

I'm getting a shell prompt.

I cannot find an editor to modify init.rc on the shell.
How should I edit the file?

Ultimately, I'd like to start a GUI. If everything works fine,
does the android x86 eeepc (built following the howto posted
in the discussion group) start a GUI?

Thanks,
Brian

Chen Yang

Mar 22, 2009, 12:44:17 PM3/22/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
hi Brian:
You are using the installer.img which is used to work as a USB
installer for eeepc, after it installs, it can start the gui
correctly.
--
Chen

Yi Sun

Mar 22, 2009, 12:44:58 PM3/22/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
I'm not using vmware. I have a real EEEPC here. So based on my experience on my EEEPC I have added some comments inline and hope it could help.

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Brian <bgc...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am getting the same error message when I ran the android x86 eeepc
in vmware.
init: Unable to open persistent property directory /data/property
errno: 2
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
It seems that it is harmless, you can ignore it for now. I have even seen this on my EPC.

# I/installer( 1975): Waiting for device: /dev/block/sdb2
Installer is trying to mount a partition that has system.img,userdata.img... On the EPC, it is the second partition of my USB. So if you know the correct dev node, you can run /system/bin/installer -p /dev/block/<correct dev node>

#

I'm getting a shell prompt.

I cannot find an editor to modify init.rc on the shell.
How should I edit the file?
you can change the init.rc in the installer source code dir and rebuild installer.img

Ultimately, I'd like to start a GUI. If everything works fine,
does the android x86 eeepc (built following the howto posted
in the discussion group) start a GUI?
Yes, it starts. If you run with vmware, you have to enable vga frame buffer and add vga=x86 in the command line. (look for the threads posted by Chen Yang on this mail list).