How add my own new codec to Android

Akash Guttedar

Mar 4, 2011, 5:32:23 AM3/4/11
to android-porting
Hi

I'm very new to Android. Now i need to work on Adding my own codec to
Android.I mean, I want to know what all the steps i need to take to
add my own codec to android.

I'm very fresh to this i need some basic things, so can someone please
explain the steps I need to take in order to add a new codec to
Android?

--
Best Regards
Akash Guttedar

Glenn Kasten

Mar 4, 2011, 9:40:26 PM3/4/11
to android-porting
"codec" has many meanings (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec ),
so I'll assume you mean a lossy or lossless codec for audio/video
media such as MP3, AAC, H.264, etc. I don't have a step-by-step
checklist, but recommend reading this code in frameworks/base/media/
libstagefright/ : include/*Decoder.h, codecs/, omx/, and OMX* and
following the examples of the existing codecs. You should also skim
the files *Extractor.cpp and include/*Extractor.h as there is often a
close relationship between the container formats and the codecs that
can be in each container.

Mahya Rabani

Sep 12, 2014, 2:16:49 PM9/12/14
to android...@googlegroups.com, ag.gu...@gmail.com
did you get the answer, i have this problem now and i don't knoe what to do