USB fastboot PC tools anyone?

Nishanth Menon

Nov 5, 2008, 8:17:54 AM11/5/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

I was looking at the source of legacy bootloader [1] and was interested
to see fastboot which seems to be over USB. but this seems to require
some PC side components too. Could anyone guide me where this may be?

Regards,
Nishanth Menon

Ref:
[1]
http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/bootloader/legacy.git;a=summary

Mike Lockwood

Nov 5, 2008, 8:43:47 AM11/5/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nishanth,

Yes, fastboot is used to flash devices over USB.  But this will not work with production G1 devices, which have USB support disabled in the bootloader.

The fastboot sources are in system/core/fastboot/.  It should be included in a default "lunch 1" build, or you could build it by typing:

. build/envsetup.sh
lunch 1
make fastboot

Mike
--
Mike Lockwood
Google android team

Shirish

Nov 19, 2008, 7:40:38 AM11/19/08
to android-porting
Hi Mike,

Is the fastboot available for the windows xp as well?

Thanks,
-Shirish

On Nov 5, 6:43 pm, "Mike Lockwood" <lockw...@android.com> wrote:
> Hi Nishanth,
>
> Yes, fastboot is used to flash devices over USB.  But this will not work
> with production G1 devices, which have USB support disabled in the
> bootloader.
>
> The fastboot sources are in system/core/fastboot/.  It should be included in
> a default "lunch 1" build, or you could build it by typing:
>
> . build/envsetup.sh
> lunch 1
> make fastboot
>
> Mike
>
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Nishanth Menon <menon.nisha...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Hi Folks,
>
> > I was looking at the source of legacy bootloader [1] and was interested
> > to see fastboot which seems to be over USB. but this seems to require
> > some PC side components too. Could anyone guide me where this may be?
>
> > Regards,
> > Nishanth Menon
>
> > Ref:
> > [1]
> >http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/bootloader/legacy.git;a=sum...
>
> --
> Mike Lockwood
> Google android team- Hide quoted text -

Mike Lockwood

Nov 19, 2008, 8:01:30 AM11/19/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Yes, fastboot should build under Cygwin. But I'm not sure if it has
been tested in the open source release so it might need a little
tweaking. fastboot.exe uses the prebuilt AdbWinApi.dll, so you might
try:

make prebuilt fastboot

You will also need the USB drivers for adb:
http://dl.google.com/android/android_usb_windows.zip

MIke

Rajiv

Nov 24, 2008, 4:35:40 PM11/24/08
to android-porting
I get this error when trying to build under cygwin:

-----
host C: fastboot <= system/core/fastboot/usb_windows.c
host C: fastboot <= system/core/fastboot/util_windows.c
make: *** No rule to make target `out/host/windows-x86/obj/
STATIC_LIBRARIES/AdbWinApi_intermediates/AdbWinApi.a', needed
by `out/host/windows-x86/obj/EXECUTABLES/fastboot_intermediates/
fastboot.exe'. Stop.

-----

How do I build AdbWinApi.a ?

On Nov 19, 5:01 am, "Mike Lockwood" <lockw...@android.com> wrote:
> Yes,fastbootshould build under Cygwin.  But I'm not sure if it has
> been tested in the open source release so it might need a little
> tweaking.  fastboot.exe uses the prebuilt AdbWinApi.dll, so you might
> try:
>
> make prebuiltfastboot
>
> You will also need the USB drivers foradb:http://dl.google.com/android/android_usb_windows.zip
>
> MIke
>

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Shirish <ashir...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Mike,
>
> > Is thefastbootavailable for the windows xp as well?
>
> > Thanks,
> > -Shirish
>
> > On Nov 5, 6:43 pm, "Mike Lockwood" <lockw...@android.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Nishanth,
>
> >> Yes,fastbootis used to flash devices over USB.  But this will not work
> >> with production G1 devices, which have USB support disabled in the
> >> bootloader.
>
> >> Thefastbootsources are in system/core/fastboot/.  It should be included in
> >> a default "lunch 1" build, or you could build it by typing:
>
> >> . build/envsetup.sh
> >> lunch 1
> >> makefastboot
>
> >> Mike

Mike Lockwood

Dec 7, 2008, 10:22:24 PM12/7/08
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Rajiv <calv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I get this error when trying to build under cygwin:
>
> -----
> host C: fastboot <= system/core/fastboot/usb_windows.c
> host C: fastboot <= system/core/fastboot/util_windows.c
> make: *** No rule to make target `out/host/windows-x86/obj/
> STATIC_LIBRARIES/AdbWinApi_intermediates/AdbWinApi.a', needed
> by `out/host/windows-x86/obj/EXECUTABLES/fastboot_intermediates/
> fastboot.exe'. Stop.
>
> -----
>
> How do I build AdbWinApi.a ?

Oops, sorry I meant to answer this question earlier, but forgot. We
never got around to adding AdbWinApi.a was never generated by our
build system. We built it once and checked in the binary, which
apparently got lost when we reorganized the sources for the open
source release. The command for building AdbWinApi.a was:

dlltool --def $(LOCAL_PATH)/AdbWinApi.def --dllname AdbWinApi.dll
--output-lib $(LOCAL_PATH)/AdbWinApi.a

It might need a bit of adjusting to work within the new build system.
Since we aren't supporting building on Windows this hasn't been a
priority to fix.

Mike