Hooking into the android input processing line

Cironist

Jan 26, 2010, 4:19:10 AM1/26/10
to android-porting, pat...@huetter-it.de
Hi All,
I'm working on a small project for coding a TUIO Client for android.
Since TUIO data is send over the network, I can't write a kernel
touchscreen driver.

My Problem is that I have to translate events from outside the Android
Device into Input Events.

As far as I know the chain downwards is:
User space:
InputDeviceReader (KeyInputQueue.java)
<== android_server_KeyInputQueue_readEvent
(com_android_server_keyInputQueue.cpp)
<== EventHub::getEvent (EventHub.cpp)
<== /dev/input/eventX
Kernel space:
Input event device <== Touchscreen driver

My Question is how I can hook into this line to translate my input
events, preferably in the userspace?

Thanks for help and greetings from germany

Bill Gatliff

Jan 26, 2010, 9:19:25 AM1/26/10
to android-porting
Some gaming-related input devices have to do this, they use the
existing "uinput" device that serves as a shim between userspace and
the input subsystem. See CONFIG_INPUT_UINPUT.

HTH,

b.g.

Cironist

Jan 26, 2010, 3:30:50 PM1/26/10
to android-porting
Ok so I have to build my own android system from source and enable
CONFIG_INPUT_UINPUT in the Kernel?
And for the userspace code I can utilize the NDK?

b.g.

Patrick Hütter

Jan 27, 2010, 4:29:42 AM1/27/10
to android-porting
Hey, i have exactly the same problem. Do I have to recompile the
android kernel? (with CONFIG_INPUT_UINPUT Flag enabled)

Can I use the NDK for the userspace development too?

Thanks for help =)