Property name too long

Sean McNeil

Nov 13, 2008, 12:47:40 AM11/13/08
to android...@googlegroups.com

The maximum property name length is 32 (including the null), but there
is the following property that causes the location provider to crash:

ro.com.google.enable_google_location_features

What is the correct solution: increase max name len, or change the
property name?

Brian Swetland

Nov 13, 2008, 3:48:52 AM11/13/08
to android...@googlegroups.com

The property name is invalid and will have to be shortened. Right now
there's a fair bit of abuse of system properties -- this in particular
is a questionable use of properties in that it smells like it should
really be a build flag or more dynamic, rather than stuffed in a
property.

There's a fix for this floating around that hasn't made it to the open
source tree yet. We're still dealing with the final transition of some
work in progress from our (legacy) p4 source control to the open tree
(where future work will be happening). More details about this soon.

Brian

[Sean McNeil <seanm...@gmail.com>]

freakingtux

Jul 19, 2011, 10:39:05 AM7/19/11

On Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:48:52 AM UTC+1, Brian Swetland wrote:

The property name is invalid and will have to be shortened.  Right now
there's a fair bit of abuse of system properties -- this in particular
is a questionable use of properties in that it smells like it should
really be a build flag or more dynamic, rather than stuffed in a
property.

There's a fix for this floating around that hasn't made it to the open
source tree yet.  We're still dealing with the final transition of some
work in progress from our (legacy) p4 source control to the open tree
(where future work will be happening).  More details about this soon.

2011 and hitting the same problem. Did a fix get lost or should we consider 32 bytes ought to be enough for anybody?
The second "limitation" is the amount of allowed entries in the system property table.

I plan on using system properties as a means of making the device software more configurable. The idea is to at boot read parts of the Linux device tree
and put this information in system properties. Think of things like BT mac address and other hardware configurations. I this the way to go or should information like this be kept out of system properties ?

Greetings

Dianne Hackborn

Jul 19, 2011, 9:38:51 PM7/19/11
to kees.jon...@gmail.com, android...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 7:39 AM, freakingtux <kees.jon...@gmail.com> wrote:
I plan on using system properties as a means of making the device software more configurable. The idea is to at boot read parts of the Linux device tree
and put this information in system properties. Think of things like BT mac address and other hardware configurations. I this the way to go or should information like this be kept out of system properties ?

This is not what system properties are for.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support, and so won't reply to such e-mails.  All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.