Getting the SD Card to Work

Mike Lissner

Aug 11, 2009, 8:14:52 PM8/11/09
to android-platform
I'm trying to get the SD card to work in the emulator, but for some
reason I keep running into trouble of one kind or another.

I've created an AVD using the -c argument, and I've tried starting the
AVD both with and without the -sdcard argument, but no matter what I
do, once the emulator is started, if I go into the settings for the SD
card, it will show unavailable.

Does anybody have any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Mike

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Aug 12, 2009, 8:08:57 AM8/12/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
On this group you'll find that people don't use AVDs, since the
emulator that's built as part of the regular source tree launches
itself directly on the locally built images.

Issues with the SD card on the open-source tree usually stem from
issues with vold.conf which contains the configuration data for the SD
card - as a sad consequence, SD card emulation has been working on and
off. I don't know any deeper details... :(

JBQ
--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Mike Lissner

Aug 12, 2009, 2:32:41 PM8/12/09
to android-platform
Sorry to be daft, but do you mean that if you compile the source
yourself, then the emulator that is part of that source will run the
code that you've compiled without the need for an AVD?

I've been trying to test some changes to the location framework that I
made, but I can't get GPS to work in the emulator. On a different
thread, I was advised that I needed an SD card in the emulator for GPS
to work, and that to do that, I needed an AVD.

Really, I just want to test my location framework code, but whenever
the emulator loads, GPS won't work.

Mike

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Aug 12, 2009, 2:42:18 PM8/12/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the build system configures the locally built emulator to
automatically pick the locally built system image without going
through any AVD.

This is all done by the build/envsetup.sh script that you need to
source into your shell before building.

JBQ

Mike Lissner

Aug 12, 2009, 6:47:16 PM8/12/09
to android-platform
OK, this is good to know. Thanks for the help. I'll post about my GPS
on a different thread.