android 1.5 build failure ..

Dan Raaka

Apr 28, 2009, 2:27:35 PM4/28/09
to android-platform
Just checked out the latest code from the android-1.5 branch
The build fails ..
host C: emulator <= external/qemu/gdbstub.c
host C: emulator <= external/qemu/usb-linux.c
external/qemu/sockets.c: In function ?sock_address_init_resolve?:
external/qemu/sockets.c:637: error: ?EAI_NODATA? undeclared (first use
in this function)
external/qemu/sockets.c:637: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
reported only once
external/qemu/sockets.c:637: error: for each function it appears in.)
make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/EXECUTABLES/emulator_intermediates/
sockets.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
external/qemu/block-cow.c: In function ?cow_create?:
external/qemu/block-cow.c:242: warning: ignoring return value of ?
write?, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
external/qemu/block-cow.c:244: warning: ignoring return value of ?
ftruncate?, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
external/qemu/block-cow.c: At top level:
external/qemu/block-cow.c:266: warning: missing initializer
external/qemu/block-cow.c:266: warning: (near initialization for ?
bdrv_cow.bdrv_set_key?)

Does this mean the android-1.5 is not really a static branch, and code
commits happening still happening on this branch?

Mike Lockwood

Apr 28, 2009, 2:31:12 PM4/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I noticed this too when building on an Ubuntu Intrepid machine. The
problem doesn't seem to happen with older Ubuntus, and went away when
I upgraded to Jaunty. It looks like the problem is related to not
building the emulator with GNU extensions enabled (apparently to work
around problems in the Windows build).

I have already filed a bug for this in Google's bug tracking system.

Mike
--
Mike Lockwood
Google android team

dan raaka

Apr 28, 2009, 2:47:07 PM4/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Is the short term solution then to upgrade the linux box to jaunty ?

Dan

Mike Lockwood

Apr 28, 2009, 2:59:03 PM4/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Or just comment out that one line in external/qemu/sockets.c

Mike

dan raaka

Apr 28, 2009, 3:02:46 PM4/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
that did the trick .. I have moved past qemu !! hopefully it sud be smooth sail after ..

Dan

David Given

Apr 28, 2009, 6:12:57 PM4/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com

dan raaka

Apr 28, 2009, 6:39:04 PM4/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
commenting that line out from
external/qemu/sockets.c:637: error: ?EAI_NODATA? undeclared (first use in this function)
worked for me .. on Intrepid

-Dan

/dev/null

Apr 29, 2009, 6:11:49 PM4/29/09
to android-platform
I had the same problem. However it appeared only after upgrading to
Ubuntu 9.04 (from 8.10). Before that I had no issues with EAI_NODATA.

Some quick Googling yields that the EAI_NODATA macro was removed from
the getaddrinfo API by RFC 3493, published in 2003. To get the code to
build regardless if EAI_NODATA is defined or not change the code to
look something like this;

+#if defined(EAI_NODATA) && EAI_NODATA != EAI_NONAME
case EAI_NODATA:
+#endif
case EAI_NONAME:
err = ENOENT;
break;

See http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2003-December/181989.html

null

On 29 Apr, 00:39, dan raaka <danra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> commenting that line out from
> external/qemu/sockets.c:637: error: ?EAI_NODATA? undeclared (first use in
> this function)
> worked for me .. on Intrepid
>
> -Dan
>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 3:12 PM, David Given <d...@cowlark.com> wrote:

> > dan raaka wrote:
> > > Is the short term solution then to upgrade the linux box to jaunty ?
>
> > Well, I *have* Jaunty and it went wrong for me.
>
> > I added #define __USE_GNU just before the #include <netdb.h> and it
> > built fine. Of course, I haven't actually *tried* it...
>
> > - --
> > ┌─── dg@cowlark.com ─────http://www.cowlark.com─────
> > │
> > │ "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who
> > │ know we don't." --- Bjarne Stroustrup
> > Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
> > Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -http://enigmail.mozdev.org

William Hua

Apr 30, 2009, 5:06:46 AM4/30/09
to android-platform
I do not have this problem when build on Ubuntu 8.04LTS.
Not sure if it is something related to GCC version.