Build error on Ubuntu 9.04 (Eclair branch)

Joshua D

Nov 17, 2009, 4:52:42 AM11/17/09
to android-platform
I'm stumbling upon this fatal error when I try to build
aosp_sapphire_us.
Any assistance would be appreciated
JD

target StaticLib: libwebcore (out/target/product/sapphire-open/obj/
STATIC_LIBRARIES/libwebcore_intermediates/libwebcore.a)
make: execvp: /bin/bash: Argument list too long
make: *** [out/target/product/sapphire-open/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/
libwebcore_intermediates/libwebcore.a] Error 127

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 17, 2009, 4:56:16 AM11/17/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
(cd external/webkit ; git cherry-pick 18342a41ab72e2c21931afaaab6f1b9bdbedb9fa)

JBQ
> --

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Joshua D

Nov 17, 2009, 5:12:56 AM11/17/09
to android-platform
This sounds somewhat familiar JBQ :P (Thank you)
Well the text is starting to scroll again, Wish me luck!
JD

On Nov 17, 8:56 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> (cd external/webkit ; git cherry-pick 18342a41ab72e2c21931afaaab6f1b9bdbedb9fa)
>
> JBQ
>

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 1:52 AM, Joshua D <jd.jel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm stumbling upon this fatal error when I try to build
> > aosp_sapphire_us.
> > Any assistance would be appreciated
> > JD
>
> > target StaticLib: libwebcore (out/target/product/sapphire-open/obj/
> > STATIC_LIBRARIES/libwebcore_intermediates/libwebcore.a)
> > make: execvp: /bin/bash: Argument list too long
> > make: *** [out/target/product/sapphire-open/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/
> > libwebcore_intermediates/libwebcore.a] Error 127

Joshua D

Nov 17, 2009, 6:09:10 AM11/17/09
to android-platform
Just a quick update:
With only the cherry pick supplied by JBQ (and the normal setup
method), I was able to build Eclair for hTC Sapphire without any
problems on Ubuntu 9.04 (Linux x86_64) :-)

Glad to see how well the process is going :-)

Ryan Beesley

Nov 20, 2009, 4:19:21 PM11/20/09
to android-platform
I'm not sure what I'm missing here then, I've been fighting this
problem for the past couple days.

ryan@localhost:/opt/eclair$ repo sync
Fetching projects: 100% (140/140), done.
Syncing work tree: 100% (139/139), done.

ryan@localhost:/opt/eclair$ . build/envsetup.sh
including vendor/aosp/vendorsetup.sh

ryan@localhost:/opt/eclair$ lunch generic-eng

PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=Eclair
PLATFORM_VERSION=Eclair
TARGET_PRODUCT=generic
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=eng
TARGET_SIMULATOR=false
TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
TARGET_ARCH=arm
HOST_ARCH=x86
HOST_OS=linux
HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
BUILD_ID=ECLAIR

ryan@localhost:/opt/eclair$ make -j2
target StaticLib: libwebcore (out/target/product/generic/obj/
STATIC_LIBRARIES/libwebcore_intermediates/
libwebcore.a)
make: execvp: /bin/bash: Argument list too
long
make: *** [out/target/product/generic/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/
libwebcore_intermediates/libwebcore.a] Error
127
make: *** Waiting for unfinished
jobs....
Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated
API.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for
details.
Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe
operations.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for
details.

ryan@localhost:/opt/eclair$ cd external/webkit ; git cherry-pick
18342a41ab72e2c21931afaaab6f1b9bdbedb9fa
error: Entry 'Android.jsc.mk' not uptodate. Cannot
merge.
fatal: merging of trees 3f24d37c741607a2f8d4b8ba40d723047bc74456 and
cca9b47c54de6b940a2c3960af3ea9e7a42c57c0
failed
Automatic cherry-pick failed. After resolving the
conflicts,
mark the corrected paths with 'git add <paths>' or 'git rm <paths>'
and commit the
result.
When commiting, use the option '-c 18342a4' to retain authorship and
message.

ryan@localhost:/opt/eclair/external/webkit$ git diff

ryan@localhost:/opt/eclair/external/webkit$ git diff --cached

Seems like my source is current, but I can't apply the fix. Any
pointers would be appreciated.

/Ryan

On Nov 17, 1:56 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> (cd external/webkit ; git cherry-pick 18342a41ab72e2c21931afaaab6f1b9bdbedb9fa)
>
> JBQ
>

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 1:52 AM, Joshua D <jd.jel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm stumbling upon this fatal error when I try to build
> > aosp_sapphire_us.
> > Any assistance would be appreciated
> > JD
>
> > target StaticLib: libwebcore (out/target/product/sapphire-open/obj/
> > STATIC_LIBRARIES/libwebcore_intermediates/libwebcore.a)
> > make: execvp: /bin/bash: Argument list too long
> > make: *** [out/target/product/sapphire-open/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/
> > libwebcore_intermediates/libwebcore.a] Error 127

Hristo Bojinov

Dec 1, 2009, 6:53:11 PM12/1/09
to android-platform
This won't answer Ryan's question but as a data point,
the cherry-pick fixed my (same) problem too.

--Hristo

Ryan Beesley

Dec 1, 2009, 7:01:03 PM12/1/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, seems to have cleared up for me too after later repo syncs... still couldn't cherry-pick this specific update, but another in another worked.

/Ryan

Wind

Dec 4, 2009, 8:52:34 PM12/4/09
to android-platform
Thank you JBQ and android devs fow hard work!I have only one
question,about android.acore and the whole contact syncing theme.How
can it be\when it will be fixed?maybe another cherry pick will help?
this is the only problem in eclair to me (broken cam is useless anyway
for me).

Thanks in advance and sorry for bad english from russian man.

Joshua D

Dec 9, 2009, 9:01:22 AM12/9/09
to android-platform
From what I can tell, this is an issue that would hopefully be fixed
soon.

Android doesn't do well without Sync (FC issues), and an alternate
Sync provider isn't yet available as far as I know.
I would have expected AOSP initially to not provide Sync, but it is
clearly a core part of the operating system.
Perhaps when someone implements an alternative Sync provider, this
will be of more use to the general community (as it seems Google Sync
is closed source)

A better option, might be for Google to open source the Sync Service
(s), rather than people leaving traces of data on unsafe websites, and
Android getting the blame.
We can only hope,
JD.