Running AOSP on hardware: a step forward

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 1, 2009, 5:36:48 PM10/1/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
This is only one step in a long walk, but I figured I'd mention it so
that people can start playing around.

I've made some work such that the master tree of AOSP can be used to
build system images, if you have an ADP1 with the latest 1.6 image
from HTC.

Documentation at http://source.android.com/documentation/building-for-dream

Noteworthy:
-you'll need to re-extract the files if you had done so in the past.
You need to do it from a 1.6 image. I've only tested this from an
official ADP1 image (using files from 1.5 is known to not work).
-extracting the files requires a root adb, i.e. "adb root"
-the build configuration for development purposes is "aosp_dream-eng",
which I've added in the lunch menu.
-there's a "Provision" app that takes care of that part of the setup,
i.e. enabled lock/home, receive calls/SMS, and whatever other
behaviors are controlled by that bit.
-I added a few more apps that were missing before (Email, VoiceDialer...)
-I believe that both cell and wifi networking work.
-it's possible that HW 3D might work better than before, but I didn't test.
-media is a bit of an unknown, as the version of OpenCORE in the
master tree is a bit different from the one in donut.

Caveats:
-Calendar is still broken.
-This is still work in progress. There'll be more cleanup, which might
require to re-extract files and to do clean builds.
-This is only in master at the moment. Depending on progress, interest
and time I may or may not eventually replicate it in donut.
-This is only for dream (ADP1) at the moment. Sapphire (ION) is on the
todo list.

It's not all done yet, so I advise people to proceed with caution.

However, this is in my opinion the best "straight" AOSP build that
we've ever had. In fact it's the first such build ever that I'd
personally feel comfortable using as my daily phone (and I've been
doing that for a few days). I wanted to let people know that there was
some progress being made.

JBQ

PS: Keep in mind that this involves non-redistributable files.

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Stelian Iancu

Oct 1, 2009, 5:41:31 PM10/1/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for letting us know and congrats in getting it to build
and run!

I'll be waiting patiently until it's possible to build it for Sapphire.

S.

Armando Ceniceros

Oct 3, 2009, 9:41:24 AM10/3/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I don't understand, were we not able to get a complete build from
master before just running make (and using johan's extract script
(with camera added for 1.6))?
I've been running a 'straight' donut build for about 5 days, I used a
home link to gmail on the browser to replace gmail, and I don't really
care for youtube or maps, all I did was extract adp 1.5 files and make
donut (with some of my app mods), and I never knew it didn't work in
master. Is master awfully didderent from donut?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 3, 2009, 9:59:25 AM10/3/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The build was more incomplete a week ago than it is now (and it's
still not quite entirely right).

The differences between donut and master are:
-master has 11 months worth of open-source contributions that are not in donut.
-master has a newer version of OpenCORE.
-master has a brand-new set of scripts and configuration files to
build for dream (at this point I'd say that I rewrote everything).

JBQ

Chad Fawcett

Oct 3, 2009, 2:59:31 PM10/3/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Great stuff JBQ, thanks for all the work you've put into this!

Tried a clean build and got a librpc.so dependency error. I did some quick digging around and re-applying a change you made a few months back looks like it takes care of it. I didn't try re-pulling I79934b52, as I'm still getting my sea legs with repo+git and wasn't sure if that would work. Instead, I just re-committed the same change against the current version here:

https://review.source.android.com/12096

Other than that, I'm getting a good build, thanks!

-Chad

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 4, 2009, 8:29:40 AM10/4/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I merged your fix. However, I'll try to re-visit this issue: Google's
internal source tree doesn't list librpc there (I tried to make the
open-source BoardConfig file match the internal one as much as I
could), and I guess that another mechanism is supposed to come into
play that causes that library to be included.

(I'm also a bit puzzled about the fact that it didn't seem to be
broken for me - and I know I did a clean build on Friday, after my
change that had removed librpc there - this could be a race condition
in the build system).

JBQ