Self-built Froyo images for Nexus one hang at booting process

L.Z

Jul 9, 2010, 3:31:45 PM7/9/10
to android-platform
Hi,

I'm trying to build my own Froyo images for Nexus one using the source
code downloaded from android.git.kernel.org. The platform code is the
master branch and the kernel code branch is android-msm-2.6.32. I
built the images successfully. However, when I flashed my Nexus one
with the images, the system hang at the colorful X screen. My Nexus
one's specification and the steps I used to build the images are
below. Could you please tell me whether I missed anything during the
process? Is there any tool that I can use to hook up with the phone
when the phone boots so that I know which part goes wrong?

Thanks a lot.

My nexus one specification:
HBOOT-0.33.0012
MICROP_0b15
TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0103
RADIO-4.06.00.12.7

I built the system image and kernel image following the steps below.

1. For platform, at the root for the platform source code:
a) . build/envsetup.h
b) lunch 4
c) cd device/htc/passion
./extract-files.sh
d) make

2. For kernel, at the root for kernel:
a) export ARCH=arm
b) export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi-
c) make msm_defconfig
d) make

3. Build platform against kernel, at the root for platform source:
a) Copy kernell/arch/arm/boot/zImage to out/target/product/passion/
kernel
b) make

Mike Playle

Jul 12, 2010, 4:21:02 AM7/12/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 12:31 -0700, L.Z wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build my own Froyo images for Nexus one using the source
> code downloaded from android.git.kernel.org. The platform code is the
> master branch and the kernel code branch is android-msm-2.6.32. I
> built the images successfully. However, when I flashed my Nexus one
> with the images, the system hang at the colorful X screen.

I've seen this a few times. Doing a factory reset via the recovery
image usually fixes it for me.

> Is there any tool that I can use to hook up with the phone
> when the phone boots so that I know which part goes wrong?

"adb logcat" starts producing useful output long before the phone
has finished booting up.

Mike

doug

Jul 22, 2010, 7:17:14 PM7/22/10
to android-platform
I am having the exact problem after trying the steps posted by the
OP. Factory reset put the phone back to factory images. But that's
not what I want. I also tried to compile the kernel from both android-
msm-2.6.32 and android-msm-2.6.32-nexusonec branches but all made the
system hang at the color X screen.

Any other suggestions?

doug