Eclair is now in AOSP

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 13, 2009, 8:57:00 PM11/13/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I've just created an eclair branch in AOSP, which contains the code
that many people have been waiting for.

What's in that branch? It's basically a snapshot of part of Google's
internal eclair tree, a little bit more recent than the build that was
used in Droid. It's not the exact source for Droid and is not ready to
ship on a consumer device.

Caveats:
-There's no change history. Google is planning to eventually make the
change history available, but at the moment the history contains some
things that can't be open-sourced, and making a snapshot was the
fastest way to deal with those.

-It's a partial tree. We'll be open-sourcing more of eclair over time,
but we figured it would make more sense to open-source part of it now
instead of waiting until everything was in place.

-It doesn't build for ADP1 or ION/ADP2. We're working with the various
companies involved to try to resolve this issue, but we preferred to
open-source the code in its current state instead of waiting for a
solution on the hardware side.

-It's not currently merged in the master tree. I'm working on it, but
I wanted to get something out before the week-end. Please be patient.
I'll try to complete it as quickly as I can.

-It doesn't currently contain the AOSP-specific files (build
configurations, etc...). They'll come back.

-Calendar is broken. I have a fix that I will release along with the
master tree.

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Ryan Gardner

Nov 13, 2009, 9:00:35 PM11/13/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com

JBQ == the man.

Thanks for your hard work, and putting up with all of us complaining up until the source was released :P

Chad Fawcett

Nov 13, 2009, 9:02:34 PM11/13/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Rockin. Thanks JBQ.
--

Chad Fawcett
http://twitter.com/chadfawcett

Fred Grott

Nov 13, 2009, 9:05:17 PM11/13/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks JBQ,

I may need it I have just been thrown into evaluating ASOP/Android for a POS device that has GSM/GPS..

Good work as always

Fred Grott
Android Mobile Developer
http://mobilebytes.wordpress.com/
Chat Google Talk: fred.grott Skype: fred.grott
Contact Me Linkedin Twitter

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 13, 2009, 9:19:58 PM11/13/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Actually, you really want to thank the entire Android team. They wrote
the code, I just released it, and while releasing Eclair gave me a
very busy week, creating it gave them some very busy months, so I only
deserve a fraction of a percent of the credit.

JBQ

Mark Murphy

Nov 13, 2009, 9:22:34 PM11/13/09
Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
> so I only deserve a fraction of a percent of the credit.

That's OK. We round up to the nearest whole engineer. ;-)

Thanks for all your efforts!

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android App Developer Training: http://commonsware.com/training

Shachar Shemesh

Nov 14, 2009, 12:48:50 AM11/14/09
Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
Actually, you really want to thank the entire Android team. They wrote
the code, I just released it, and while releasing Eclair gave me a
very busy week, creating it gave them some very busy months, so I only
deserve a fraction of a percent of the credit.

JBQ

I'm sorry for being a bit blunt, but that's not the way I see it.

Android as just another phone OS is just as interesting to me as Symbian, iPhone or Windows Mo (i.e. - not very much). If that's all Android is, I'd just be reviving my Free Runner and be working on OpenMoko right now. The thing that makes Android interesting is it's open source. This means that, as far as I'm concerned, your weekend's is, by far, more important work than the rest of the months spent producing proprietary, closed software.

Put another way - I'm willing (and anxious) to help with the month's worth of hard work, but without your hard work, I wouldn't even be able to be a bystander.

So I second Ryan.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.

Gerd Steinwender

Nov 14, 2009, 2:53:44 AM11/14/09
to android-platform
does this mean that from now on it is on samsung to make an update to
2.0 for their galaxy handset?

n179911

Nov 14, 2009, 4:06:29 AM11/14/09
to android-platform
Thanks. I did
* repo sync
* lunch generic-eng
* make -j4
and run the emulator. Why it still said I am using 1.6.

Can you please tell me what am I missing? I create my repo using 'repo
init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git'

Thank you.

Joshua Lund

Nov 14, 2009, 5:11:45 AM11/14/09
to android-platform
I just wanted to say thank you. This is such fantastic news and I hope
you know that your hard work is so very appreciated. This is something
that the entire Android team at Google (and all of the members of the
Open Handset Alliance) should be extremely proud of.

Once again, thanks. I am very excited.

Fred Grott

Fred Grott

zeewox

Nov 14, 2009, 8:06:32 AM11/14/09
to android-platform
Hi,
As JBQ said, eclair branch isn't yet merged in master tree.
So you've made a master build.

haveaniceday
fred

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2009, 8:06:21 AM11/14/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Essentially, yes. From this point, all device manufacturers can start
working on getting Eclair working on their new or existing devices, if
that's their strategy. Really, though, it's up to them, and the
Android Open-Source Project can't force anyone to use that new code.

JBQ

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:53 PM, Gerd Steinwender <g.st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> does this mean that from now on it is on samsung to make an update to
> 2.0 for their galaxy handset?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2009, 8:08:01 AM11/14/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
'repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b eclair'

I haven't merged eclair into master yet, so master still contains a
variant of 1.6, and master is the default branch. Give me a few days
and that'll get resolved.

JBQ

Thomas Riley

Nov 14, 2009, 8:22:19 AM11/14/09
to android-platform
Big thanks to everyone who has worked to make eclair the most amazing
build of Android yet and also a big thanks to JBQ for dropping it into
the AOSP :-)

I think its now time for HTC to go be very busy!

Billy Cui

Nov 14, 2009, 10:02:56 AM11/14/09
to android-platform
Great job, actually I have check them out and make some of them, but
find it fail to run in emulator, said it require development platform.

So keep going, waiting for your further code.

Any timeline about the total release of the eclair code?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2009, 10:21:43 AM11/14/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
As far as I can tell it should run just fine in the emulator.

Here are the steps I use, on a machine running Ubuntu 8.04.3 with
additional packages as described in http://source.android.com/download

repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b eclair
repo sync
. build/envsetup.sh
lunch generic-eng
make
emulator

I can't comment on a future timeline.

JBQ

Billy Cui

Nov 14, 2009, 11:21:15 AM11/14/09
to android-platform
I am not working like that, I just make some app like Phone and
Contacts and put them in SDK2.0's emulator.

So, the only way to make them run in emulator is build a new emulator
base on them, right?

On Nov 14, 11:21 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> As far as I can tell it should run just fine in the emulator.
>
> Here are the steps I use, on a machine running Ubuntu 8.04.3 with
> additional packages as described inhttp://source.android.com/download

joebowbeer

Nov 14, 2009, 12:55:06 PM11/14/09
to android-platform
For those browsing sources who (like me) hadn't figured this out yet,
hb=eclair is key.

A link, for example, to the ContactsContract source:

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=blob_plain;f=core/java/android/provider/ContactsContract.java;hb=eclair

Joe
> > For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/android-platform?hl=.

Dianne Hackborn

Nov 14, 2009, 1:07:00 PM11/14/09
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Shachar Shemesh <sha...@shemesh.biz> wrote:
Android as just another phone OS is just as interesting to me as Symbian, iPhone or Windows Mo (i.e. - not very much). If that's all Android is, I'd just be reviving my Free Runner and be working on OpenMoko right now. The thing that makes Android interesting is it's open source. This means that, as far as I'm concerned, your weekend's is, by far, more important work than the rest of the months spent producing proprietary, closed software.

We love you too!

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support, and so won't reply to such e-mails.  All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2009, 1:07:23 PM11/14/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
That is correct.

The way to get there is to go to the frameworks/base page
http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=summary
and scroll down to the "heads" section. The first one on the list is
eclair, since it's the most recently updated. Click the "tree" link
next to it, and you can browse the eclair tree for frameworks/base.
Repeat approximately 130 times to do it in the other projects.

Note, if you prefer to get the source code locally, use repo init -u
git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b eclair

Sorry if I didn't clarify those earlier - I'm used to using those
tools so much and I've focused so much of my energy on just getting
the source out that I failed to take a few steps back and I kinda
forgot that not everyone spends 12+ hours a day using those tools.

JBQ
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/android-platform?hl=.

Gergely Kis

Nov 14, 2009, 2:16:49 PM11/14/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This is great news, thank you all (JBQ and the countless other
developers) for your hard work.

We discussed about branches a few weeks back on the list.

I would like to make a proposal regarding the merging to master. I
think it would make sense to hold off the merge to master until the
necessary closed source binaries for ADP1 and/or ADP2 are available.
This way the master branch would always be usable to build software
for the "official" Android platform development devices.

If you think that it is more important to get the new code into master
even at the cost of breaking the device builds, then I would like to
propose to create an "oldmaster" branch, or at least a frozen repo
manifest which can be used to build for devices, while the vendors are
releasing the necessary closed-source binaries for the new version.

What do you think?

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 2:57 AM, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> -It's a partial tree. We'll be open-sourcing more of eclair over time,
> but we figured it would make more sense to open-source part of it now
> instead of waiting until everything was in place.

Could you give us a bit more details what is missing?

Best Regards,
Gergely

Gergely Kis

Nov 14, 2009, 2:20:39 PM11/14/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Just saw that you are going to do just what I was proposing...sorry
for the noise.

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Gergely Kis <gerge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is great news, thank you all (JBQ and the countless other
> developers) for your hard work.
>
> We discussed about branches a few weeks back on the list.
>
> I would like to make a proposal regarding the merging to master. I
> think it would make sense to hold off the merge to master until the
> necessary closed source binaries for ADP1 and/or ADP2 are available.
> This way the master branch would always be usable to build software
> for the "official" Android platform development devices.

[...]

Jey Michael

Nov 14, 2009, 2:41:49 PM11/14/09
On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> That is correct.
>
> The way to get there is to go to the frameworks/base page
> http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=summary
> and scroll down to the "heads" section. The first one on the list is
> eclair, since it's the most recently updated. Click the "tree" link
> next to it, and you can browse the eclair tree for frameworks/base.
> Repeat approximately 130 times to do it in the other projects.

until someone with free time comes up with a repo-web (wrapped around
the git-web) :-)

Its really great to see eclair in AOSP finally. Thank you JBQ!
Do you see further big updates to eclair branch coming later, or is it
mostly complete except for future patches?

-Jey

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2009, 3:02:06 PM11/14/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I expect that future updates won't be huge (definitely not as big as
going from 1.x to eclair), but that they won't be tiny either (i.e.
larger than upgrading from 1.5r1 to 1.5r4). I expect that they'll be
more about breadth (i.e. packages that aren't currently open-sourced,
e.g. some settings apps that are currently missing) than depth.

i.e. if you're an OEM working on a device currently running 1.5 or
1.6, getting the current eclair up-and-running will get you most of
the way "there" in terms of the port and will cut your schedule
significantly toward being able to upgrade your users' devices, but
you need to expect that there'll still be some additional work,
including/especially at the UI level.

JBQ

Shachar Shemesh

Nov 14, 2009, 3:21:27 PM11/14/09
Dianne Hackborn wrote:
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Shachar Shemesh <sha...@shemesh.biz> wrote:
Android as just another phone OS is just as interesting to me as Symbian, iPhone or Windows Mo (i.e. - not very much). If that's all Android is, I'd just be reviving my Free Runner and be working on OpenMoko right now. The thing that makes Android interesting is it's open source. This means that, as far as I'm concerned, your weekend's is, by far, more important work than the rest of the months spent producing proprietary, closed software.

We love you too!

Please don't take this personally, but what you do on your day job is, at best, invisible to me. At worst, it directly conflicts with what I'm trying to do on your platform (and the fact there are no quotes around the "your" signifies the problem more than anything else). I'm not saying you aren't doing a heck of a job. I'm saying that until JBQ does his stuff, I don't know what kind of a job you do, and then I get so many changes at once, it's really difficult to measure how good your job is.

So, sorry, yes, I think his job is, at least for me, much more important.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2009, 3:50:22 PM11/14/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The fact that you're using Android even though there are other phone
platforms/projects with vastly more open developing processes
(OpenMoko, Replicant, OpenAndroidAlliance, just to name a few) should
be a strong indication of the quality and value of Dianne's work (and
of the rest of the Android team).

If I had been the only person working on Android since the original
open-source release, all you'd have seen since then would be about
adding support for redirects and randomized exponential backoff in the
download manager, which isn't that exciting.

I wouldn't even have a job if Dianne and the rest of the Android team
weren't there, since there'd be no Android code to release in the
first place.

JBQ

Fred Grott

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2009, 4:28:43 PM11/14/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Along those lines, we (Google) do recognize that not having changelogs
for eclair is an issue, and we intend to make as many of them
available as possible as soon as possible. I can't promise that all of
them will be, and I can't give an exact timeline, but I'll work to
make it happen as reasonably as possible.

JBQ

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Fred Grott <fred....@gmail.com> wrote:

> i know I see a lot of value in every Google engineers and OHA members work each time I read the commit logs and the source diffs
>
> Fred Grott
> Android Mobile Developer
> http://mobilebytes.wordpress.com/
> Chat Google Talk: fred.grott Skype: fred.grott
> Contact Me

Alexey Tarasov

Nov 15, 2009, 5:59:43 AM11/15/09
to android-platform
Excellent news.
Thanks.

On 14 ноя, 11:57, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> I've just created an eclair branch in AOSP, which contains the code
> that many people have been waiting for.
> [...]

Avtar Singh

Nov 15, 2009, 10:02:34 AM11/15/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks and Congrats to the entire Android team!

Best Regards,
Avtar Singh

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 15, 2009, 7:40:51 PM11/15/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I've taken care of a few of the issues I had mentioned on Friday:

-Eclair is now merged into master. Feel free to contribute.

-Master contains additional fixes to make Calendar work, and also to
make WebKit build properly.

-I've added the AOSP-specific projects in eclair (and I've captured
the evolution of the branch for future reference).

The other issues remain open at this point. It looks like it might be
possible to run master on ADP with partial functionality, that's on my
list.

JBQ

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> I've just created an eclair branch in AOSP, which contains the code
> that many people have been waiting for.
>
> What's in that branch? It's basically a snapshot of part of Google's
> internal eclair tree, a little bit more recent than the build that was
> used in Droid. It's not the exact source for Droid and is not ready to
> ship on a consumer device.
>
> Caveats:
> -There's no change history. Google is planning to eventually make the
> change history available, but at the moment the history contains some
> things that can't be open-sourced, and making a snapshot was the
> fastest way to deal with those.
>
> -It's a partial tree. We'll be open-sourcing more of eclair over time,
> but we figured it would make more sense to open-source part of it now
> instead of waiting until everything was in place.
>
> -It doesn't build for ADP1 or ION/ADP2. We're working with the various
> companies involved to try to resolve this issue, but we preferred to
> open-source the code in its current state instead of waiting for a
> solution on the hardware side.
>
> -It's not currently merged in the master tree. I'm working on it, but
> I wanted to get something out before the week-end. Please be patient.
> I'll try to complete it as quickly as I can.
>
> -It doesn't currently contain the AOSP-specific files (build
> configurations, etc...). They'll come back.
>
> -Calendar is broken. I have a fix that I will release along with the
> master tree.
>
> JBQ

RaviY

Nov 17, 2009, 4:20:49 PM11/17/09
to android-platform
Hi JBQ,

Will there be some kind of a "tag" on the eclair branch, similar to
what was on donut?

Thanks,
Ravi

On Nov 15, 6:40 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> I've taken care of a few of the issues I had mentioned on Friday:
>
> -Eclairis now merged into master. Feel free to contribute.
>
> -Master contains additional fixes to make Calendar work, and also to
> make WebKit build properly.
>
> -I've added the AOSP-specific projects ineclair(and I've captured
> the evolution of the branch for future reference).
>
> The other issues remain open at this point. It looks like it might be
> possible to run master on ADP with partial functionality, that's on my
> list.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> > I've just created aneclairbranch in AOSP, which contains the code
> > that many people have been waiting for.
>
> > What's in that branch? It's basically a snapshot of part of Google's
> > internaleclairtree, a little bit more recent than the build that was
> > used in Droid. It's not the exact source for Droid and is not ready to
> > ship on a consumer device.
>
> > Caveats:
> > -There's no change history. Google is planning to eventually make the
> > change history available, but at the moment the history contains some
> > things that can't be open-sourced, and making a snapshot was the
> > fastest way to deal with those.
>
> > -It's a partial tree. We'll be open-sourcing more ofeclairover time,

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 17, 2009, 4:38:09 PM11/17/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
There's no tag at this point, since the code as it has been released
isn't considered appropriate to ship as-is on a device.

Once we reach a shippable state, there'll be a tag.

JBQ

Hristo Bojinov

Dec 4, 2009, 5:32:31 PM12/4/09
to android-platform
Hi JBQ, could you make the recovery-mode fix for
Eclair+Sapphire available in AOSP?

Thanks,
Hristo

Dan

Jan 13, 2010, 12:35:19 PM1/13/10
to android-platform
JBQ -

Do you know when the Eclair tag will be applied?

Dan Konrad
Motorola Principal Staff Software Engineer