Sensor Driver Architecture

Dan

Jan 13, 2009, 12:21:43 PM1/13/09
to android-platform
Hi Dianne -

We discussed with Google last week the moving of sensors_trout.c from /
hardware/libhardware to the OEM specific folder (in this case HTC).
Google indicated that they were making some architecture changes in
how the system would be connected to the various sensor drivers. Can
you post that information so that our sensor driver teams can work on
that development?

Thanks.

Dan Konrad

KSchultz

Jan 13, 2009, 4:17:05 PM1/13/09
to android-platform
Dianne,

In addition, what is your opinion on including the compass algorithm
in the sensors_trout.c in the case of the magnetometer and
accelerometer having separate drivers? This way when orientation is
requested it would poll each driver and derive the value. In the HTC
driver (akm8976) they were both in the same part and subsequently the
same driver. The other way to do this would be to have a third dummy
driver but then it would need to interact with the other two drivers
to poll data and adds unnecessary complexity to the drivers.

Thanks,
Ken

Dianne Hackborn

Jan 13, 2009, 5:13:26 PM1/13/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys, the discussion about this stuff has been on android-porting, and Mathias can help you there with any additional questions you have.
--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.