git master on dream/ADP1

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jan 14, 2009, 5:59:25 PM1/14/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
WARNING: THIS WILL WIPE YOUR ADP1, AND THERE IS CURRENTLY NO OFFICIAL
WAY TO RECOVER IT.

Good news everyone, it looks like the android master branch as it's
available today can run on dream/ADP1 hardware.

In a nutshell, the instructions at
http://source.android.com/documentation/building-for-dream work. When
you're done, reboot into the bootloader and run fastboot -w flashall.

A bit of refinement to make life smoother:
-adb pull /system/etc/apns-conf.xml and stick it in
development/data/etc/apns-conf_sdk.xml
-tweak development/apps/SdkSetup/Android.mk to use LOCAL_MODULE_TAGS
:= eng development
-tweak development/apps/SdkSetup/AndroidManifest.xml to add the
WRITE_SETTINGS in addition to WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

The first step will give you APNs properly set up, so that you don't
have to input them manually.
The other two will configure your device to be provisioned, so that
home/dial and the keyguard work.

The state of things: GSM voice and data work. Wifi doesn't work. SD
card works. Camera works, though the preview and orientation look odd.
Audio playback works. I wouldn't bet much on bluetooth or GPS.

(disclaimer: I actually did it with a development device running an
engineering bootloader, and I started from a build of TC4-RC30 instead
of the actual ADP1 build, but it should be close enough).

ONCE AGAIN: ONCE YOU FLASH YOUR ADP1, YOU HAVE NO OFFICIAL WAY TO GET
IT BACK TO THE INITIAL BUILD THAT CAME WITH IT.

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Android Engineer, Google.

Nasser

Jan 14, 2009, 6:10:46 PM1/14/09
to android-platform
I don't think the master branch work on dream, I tried that and it
failed ... and on http://source.android.com/documentation/building-for-dream
you could see a message at the top of the page
Note: 14 Jan 2009: Because of some incompatibilities between cupcake
and the prebuilt dream binaries, neither the cupcake nor master
branches will currently build/work with dream.

--
Nasser

On Jan 15, 1:59 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@google.com> wrote:
> WARNING: THIS WILL WIPE YOUR ADP1, AND THERE IS CURRENTLY NO OFFICIAL
> WAY TO RECOVER IT.
>
> Good news everyone, it looks like the android master branch as it's
> available today can run on dream/ADP1 hardware.
>
> In a nutshell, the instructions athttp://source.android.com/documentation/building-for-dreamwork. When

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jan 14, 2009, 6:13:32 PM1/14/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
We've had a race condition inside Google between my work to try to
make it work and work to update the web site, and the web site was
updated to say that things didn't work right as I was getting them to
work. *Right now* based on the state of the git master branch the
instructions do work.

JBQ

Nasser

Jan 14, 2009, 6:29:08 PM1/14/09
to android-platform
I keep getting this message:
warn: [manifests] commit (or discard) uncommitted changes before sync.
Although I have not touch the source code. Now, do I have to wipe the
whole thing and start the process all over again! Or perhaps I have to
remove the .repo directory and repo sync again! I need some insight.

--
Nasser

On Jan 15, 2:13 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@google.com> wrote:
> We've had a race condition inside Google between my work to try to
> make it work and work to update the web site, and the web site was
> updated to say that things didn't work right as I was getting them to
> work. *Right now* based on the state of the git master branch the
> instructions do work.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Nasser <nasser.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't think the master branch work on dream, I tried that and it
> > failed ... and onhttp://source.android.com/documentation/building-for-dream

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jan 14, 2009, 7:17:34 PM1/14/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
You might indeed need to repo init a new repository, especially if the
one you have had been originally initialized before Dec 19. I tested
it from a clean repository to be entirely sure.

JBQ

Nasser

Jan 14, 2009, 7:51:50 PM1/14/09
to android-platform
Thank you Jean, What can I do I'm starting this lengthy process again :
(

--
Nasser

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jan 14, 2009, 7:53:09 PM1/14/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with repo and git to help you
find an easier way, sorry.

JBQ

dc.dis...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2009, 8:42:07 PM1/14/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
You are the AWESOME. :) I'll see what I can do about wifi once I get
it built, but I don't have enough ram so it could be a while..

Brian 1143

Jan 14, 2009, 9:01:07 PM1/14/09
to android-platform
What a good news!
Thank you for the information.

Could you also help to check the Video recording function?

regards.

On 1月15日, 上午6時59分, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@google.com> wrote:
> WARNING: THIS WILL WIPE YOUR ADP1, AND THERE IS CURRENTLY NO OFFICIAL
> WAY TO RECOVER IT.
>
> Good news everyone, it looks like the android master branch as it's
> available today can run on dream/ADP1 hardware.
>
> In a nutshell, the instructions athttp://source.android.com/documentation/building-for-dreamwork. When

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jan 14, 2009, 9:06:22 PM1/14/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I have to admit that I didn't look into the wifi issue beyond logcat
(where there was nothing interesting). It's possible that e.g. the
kernel log would have a bit more information about what's wrong. Or
not. It's really not my domain of expertise, so I assume that there's
little chance I'd be able to diagnose anything.

JBQ

othy

Jan 15, 2009, 8:58:14 AM1/15/09
to android-platform
I can build master default and for dream now without no problem.
However (as expected) WiFi, OpenGL and Bluetooth don't work. I assume
this is the issue with the original closed source drivers not playing
well with the new kernel in master.
I really need WiFi and OpenGL together with the ability to build from
source. I wouldn't mind to work on release 1.0 for this. But when I
check out the additional files for dream on the 1.0 branch (I am using
a completely separate local repository folder for 1.0 and 1.5, I repo-
initialized my 1.0 folder with "-b release-1.0"), I am still running
into this GitError issue with "unknown revision or path not in the
working tree" (see below). JBQ, can you provide any help with this?
Tim

Initializing project platform/vendor/htc/dream ...
remote: Counting objects: 47, done.
Unpacking objects: 100% (47/47), done.
From git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/vendor/htc/dream
* [new branch] cupcake -> korg/cupcake
* [new branch] master -> korg/master
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Volumes/hfsAndroid/android1.0-copy/.repo/repo/main.py", line
202, in ?
_Main(sys.argv[1:])
File "/Volumes/hfsAndroid/android1.0-copy/.repo/repo/main.py", line
186, in _Main
repo._Run(argv)
File "/Volumes/hfsAndroid/android1.0-copy/.repo/repo/main.py", line
96, in _Run
cmd.Execute(copts, cargs)
File "/Volumes/hfsAndroid/android1.0/.repo/repo/subcmds/sync.py",
line 106, in Execute
if not project.Sync_LocalHalf():
File "/Volumes/hfsAndroid/android1.0-copy/.repo/repo/project.py",
line 607, in Sync_LocalHalf
self._InitWorkTree()
File "/Volumes/hfsAndroid/android1.0-copy/.repo/repo/project.py",
line 1008, in _InitWorkTree
rev = self.bare_git.rev_parse('%s^0' % rev)
File "/Volumes/hfsAndroid/android1.0-copy/.repo/repo/project.py",
line 1188, in runner
raise GitError('%s %s: %s' % (
error.GitError: platform/hardware/msm7k rev-parse: fatal: ambiguous
argument 'refs/remotes/korg/release-1.0^0': unknown revision or path
not in the working tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jan 15, 2009, 9:17:35 AM1/15/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I believe that wifi used to be be working with the external 1.0 tree
(after a few tweaks), so there's some hope that it might be possible
to make it in master. I have little visibility over bluetooth and HW
GL (and specifically do not know how much they rely on proprietary
device-specific binaries).

I have little visibility over the 1.0 aspects, sorry. You might be
able to get away with editing your local_manifest to fetch the master
revision f that repository, and they manually git checkout the 3
relevant repositories to an older point that's compatible with the
rest of 1.0, but I have never done that so I don't know whether it's
even actually possible.

JBQ

Thias

Jan 15, 2009, 11:15:29 AM1/15/09
to android-platform
Wifi is working in the master tree.
A few tweaks are required to have it compiled and working:
1/ In the buildspec.mk file add the following:

TARGET_PRODUCT:=htc_dream
BOARD_WLAN_TI_STA_DK_ROOT:=./system/wlan/ti/sta_dk_4_0_4_32/
BOARD_HAVE_BLUETOOTH:=true

2/ In vendor/htc/dream/init.trout.rc, modify (remove the "-X" option)
the dhcpcd service line to obtain the following:

service dhcpcd /system/bin/logwrapper dhcpcd -d tiwlan0

3/ Run the appropriate make and fastboot commands and you'll then have
wifi working! ;-)

--
Thias
http://blog.mc-thias.org

On Jan 15, 3:17 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@google.com> wrote:
> I believe that wifi used to be be working with the external 1.0 tree
> (after a few tweaks), so there's some hope that it might be possible
> to make it inmaster. I have little visibility over bluetooth and HW
> GL (and specifically do not know how much they rely on proprietary
> device-specific binaries).
>
> I have little visibility over the 1.0 aspects, sorry. You might be
> able to get away with editing your local_manifest to fetch themaster
> revision f that repository, and they manuallygitcheckout the 3
> relevant repositories to an older point that's compatible with the
> rest of 1.0, but I have never done that so I don't know whether it's
> even actually possible.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 5:58 AM, othy <timoth...@web.de> wrote:
>
> > I can buildmasterdefault and for dream now without no problem.
> > However (as expected) WiFi, OpenGL and Bluetooth don't work. I assume
> > this is the issue with the original closed source drivers not playing
> > well with the new kernel inmaster.
> > I really need WiFi and OpenGL together with the ability to build from
> > source. I wouldn't mind to work on release 1.0 for this. But when I
> > check out the additional files for dream on the 1.0 branch (I am using
> > a completely separate local repository folder for 1.0 and 1.5, I repo-
> > initialized my 1.0 folder with "-b release-1.0"), I am still running
> > into this GitError issue with "unknown revision or path not in the
> > working tree" (see below). JBQ, can you provide any help with this?
> > Tim
>
> > Initializing project platform/vendor/htc/dream ...
> > remote: Counting objects: 47, done.
> > remote: Compressing objects: 100% (26/26), done.
> > remote: Total 47 (delta 21), reused 44 (delta 20)
> > Unpacking objects: 100% (47/47), done.
> > Fromgit://android.git.kernel.org/platform/vendor/htc/dream

Aaron

Jan 15, 2009, 11:47:18 AM1/15/09
to android-platform
GREAT wifi is working!

So far, bluetooth and GPS are still not working?

Jean-Baptiste, since it looks like Google is determined to make the
cupcake branch run on ADP1 phones, can we get more exposures on fixing
the above issues? Get the domain experts for those components to
figure out what's wrong?

Is google testing these components on emulators only? Since ADP1 and
G1 are the only phones out and those components aren't working on
these devices, how are they testing this?

On Jan 15, 8:15 am, Thias <thias.lelo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wifi is working in the master tree.
> A few tweaks are required to have it compiled and working:
> 1/ In the buildspec.mk file add the following:
>
> TARGET_PRODUCT:=htc_dream
> BOARD_WLAN_TI_STA_DK_ROOT:=./system/wlan/ti/sta_dk_4_0_4_32/
> BOARD_HAVE_BLUETOOTH:=true
>
> 2/ In vendor/htc/dream/init.trout.rc, modify (remove the "-X" option)
> the dhcpcd service line to obtain the following:
>
> service dhcpcd /system/bin/logwrapper dhcpcd -d tiwlan0
>
> 3/ Run the appropriate make and fastboot commands and you'll then have
> wifi working! ;-)
>
> --
> Thiashttp://blog.mc-thias.org

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jan 15, 2009, 12:11:42 PM1/15/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Thias for figuring out a solution, much appreciated.

Aaron:

-I'll be passing this information around, so that it gets included in
either the documentation or in the source code itself, depending on
which is the most appropriate.

-Google today is still working with an internal repository and
internal tools. We're working hard to transition to the public
repository and tools, but we're not quite there yet. Other than a
delay of a few days (we're trying to reduce it as much as we possibly
can), differences between the internal repository and the public one
are in proprietary or vendor-specific areas that aren't part of the
Android Open-Source Project but are necessary to run on dream. Those
differences explain why Google can build fully functional system
images for dream from its internal repository but the rest of the
community can't do the same from the public repository. We're
obviously aware of the pain that this causes and we're trying to
resolve it.

JBQ

othy

Jan 15, 2009, 12:18:01 PM1/15/09
to android-platform
WiFi is working for me now building master. From your website:

export BOARD_WLAN_TI_STA_DK_ROOT=./system/wlan/ti/sta_dk_4_0_4_32/
make TARGET_PRODUCT=htc_dream

then:
export ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT=./out/target/product/dream
fastboot -w flashall

Thank you.
Tim

(OpenGL + Bt still missing.)

Aaron

Jan 15, 2009, 4:33:24 PM1/15/09
to android-platform
Another question I have is would all existing applications on the
Market work on cupcake build? Is the SDK backward compatible?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jan 15, 2009, 4:42:01 PM1/15/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
There's no cupcake SDK yet.

Cupcake is supposed to be backward-compatible with properly written
applications by the time it ships, and bleeding-edge builds are
usually pretty compatible.

JBQ

Aaron

Jan 16, 2009, 2:25:37 PM1/16/09
to android-platform
Thanks for all the hard work on this JBQ. Please update the community
as a whole if you get more information about the issues regarding
bluetooth, GPS, and OpenGL. I am so itching to stick the cupcake
build onto my phone but with its current state, it's not usable, and
this is my primary phone.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jan 16, 2009, 2:37:45 PM1/16/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I've been pushing changes in for the issues that I mentioned in the
beginning of this thread, and they haven't been all merged yet.

Once I get there it'll be easier to go poke other engineers to
investigate the other aspects.

I'll keep you posted when we reach some meaningful milestones.

JBQ

Thias

Jan 20, 2009, 8:15:56 AM1/20/09
to android-platform
Aaron,

Regarding bluetooth, you might find informations in this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-platform/browse_thread/thread/8513c0c41b34fc4a/0b2054355a67c526

--
Thias

bobdude5

Jan 23, 2009, 5:03:53 PM1/23/09
to android-platform
hi :)
noob question
i followed the instruction for building on dream but after all thathow
do i actually get it on the device?

On Jan 14, 2:59 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@google.com> wrote:
> WARNING: THIS WILL WIPE YOUR ADP1, AND THERE IS CURRENTLY NO OFFICIAL
> WAY TO RECOVER IT.
>
> Good news everyone, it looks like the android master branch as it's
> available today can run on dream/ADP1 hardware.
>
> In a nutshell, the instructions athttp://source.android.com/documentation/building-for-dreamwork. When

Disconnect

Jan 23, 2009, 5:09:55 PM1/23/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
...the message you are replying to has "When you're done".. thats the part that puts it on the phone.

There is a fastboot cheat sheet at andblogs.net/fastboot

bobdude5

Feb 4, 2009, 11:46:18 AM2/4/09
to android-platform
ya that didnt work for me i must have done something wrong..but i just
put on ur build of cupcake and they work fine so thank you :)