WRITE_APN_SETTINGS permission on ICS

bio

Dec 16, 2011, 3:25:59 AM12/16/11
to android-platform
Hi, I have a problem with an application using WRITE_APN_SETTINGS
permission on ICS. I'm getting security exception that I don't have
this permission in manifest, but of course it's there. I cannot find
any official or some kind informative statement about this problem.
There are only few sites with information that API has changed and
this permission is not allowed for 3rd party apps any more...

But I can't find such a information on Android Developers site or on
Manifest permissions reference site. Anyway there are lot of
applications which are absolutely useless without this permission.

So is it real that this permission will be forbidden in ICS? Do
anybody knows something more about this? :)

Thanks.

Olivier Rosello

Dec 19, 2011, 4:39:28 AM12/19/11
to android-platform
Same problem here, I would like to get a response or better, a
solution...

WiRe

Dec 22, 2011, 5:12:42 PM12/22/11
to android-platform
Some ICS users repported to me that my application is not working
(timeout3g) and finaly I detected the same permission problem with
the emulator :(

Christopher Tate

Dec 22, 2011, 7:16:35 PM12/22/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
This is correct: the WRITE_APN_SETTINGS permission is no longer granted to third-party applications.  Apologies for this not being documented in the Android 4.0 release notes.

--
christopher tate
android framework engineer

WiRe

Dec 24, 2011, 6:04:23 PM12/24/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
:(
How should we now do to disable/enable mobile data network?

bio

Dec 29, 2011, 11:12:11 AM12/29/11
to android-platform
Thanks for reply although not very pleasing :)

There is no way to disable/enable mobile data or change APNs now? That
can be an issue for quite a lot of users and developers. :(
> >http://groups.google.com/group/android-platform?hl=en.- Skryť citovaný text -
>
> - Zobraziť citovaný text -

Craig Whitmore

Dec 29, 2011, 3:57:01 PM12/29/11
On 30/12/11 5:12 AM, "bio" <kace...@zoznam.sk> wrote:

>Thanks for reply although not very pleasing :)
>
>There is no way to disable/enable mobile data or change APNs now? That
>can be an issue for quite a lot of users and developers. :(
>
>On 23. Dec., 01:16 h., Christopher Tate <ct...@google.com> wrote:
>> This is correct: the WRITE_APN_SETTINGS permission is no longer granted
>> third-party applications. Apologies for this not being documented in
>>the
>> Android 4.0 release notes.
>>
>> --
>> christopher tate
>> android framework engineer

So if a third part application cannot set APN Settings.. What is the
official way to "in an automated way" get APN Settings to the Android
Phone running 4.0?

Thanks

tconn222

Dec 29, 2011, 11:33:37 AM12/29/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Is Android 4.0 only for phones or can I update my tablet Also?

Sent from Samsung tablet
bio <kace...@zoznam.sk> wrote:
Thanks for reply although not very pleasing :)

There is no way to disable/enable mobile data or change APNs now? That
can be an issue for quite a lot of users and developers. :(

On 23. Dec., 01:16 h., Christopher Tate <ct...@google.com> wrote:
> This is correct: the WRITE_APN_SETTINGS permission is no longer granted to
> third-party applications.  Apologies for this not being documented in the
> Android 4.0 release notes.
>
> --
> christopher tate
> android framework engineer

Manuel R. Ciosici

Jan 12, 2012, 5:20:23 AM1/12/12
to android-platform
Hello Christopher,

Can you please tell me why the permission is no longer granted to
third-party developers considering that there is no way to
automatically provision most Android devices with connectivity
settings? (OTA SMS settings are only supported on some devices)

Manuel

Kelvin Durrheim

May 8, 2012, 9:08:10 AM5/8/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I also have a problem with this new restriction.
Isn't the whole idea of being able to define multiple APNs, so that various applications can use the connections they need?
We use an internet APN and a private corporate APN. These can be setup on the phone by the user manually. The issue is: Our corporate apps/widgets can't now choose to use the correct connection.
Any company that uses Android and a private APN are going to have this problem. You can't expect users to go into settings to change the default connection every time they need to look at corporate apps/widgets.
Please provide a solution.