New build targets we'd like to add

markgross

Jan 25, 2009, 5:45:48 PM1/25/09
to android-platform
We (Intel) have been working on a number of testing targets while we
figure out what to do with Android for Intel hardware and we would
like to get this work into the upstream project now that part of our
team is focusing on the new plans.

(The new plans are much larger scope, and we should be ready to share
those plans next month or so.)

To facilitate testing and development we have enabled Android builds
on some interesting targets.

KVM guest (supper fast compared to the emulator if you have VT enabled
desktop and it works with the SDK, other virtualization engines are
known to work too. )

Generic PC (using Vesa FB graphics)

Menlow platform hardware (atom + Poulsbo graphics) Compal Jax10 and
some reference hardware

Diamonvill platform (atom + intel integrated graphics), Acer-one,
Eee1000, etc.

For these targets we have build makefiles, driver bits, Live USB
targes and installer USB targets.

Along with implementing these targets we have tests, bug fixes,
enabling (like improved wifi wpa functionality), and optimizations and
tweaks in DalviK and Frameworks. Most of which we'd like to see
upstream, even if on a branch.

Getting this work up stream has been a challenge, as some bugs or
missing features in the mainline are blockers for some of this work,
and the core team is being "conservative" with taking code into the
mainline. (like missing fbset, a deadlock in init when loading
drivers that attempt to load FW and others)

We really would like to get this stuff upstream, at least on a branch
folks can cherry pick from, before we completely move onto the next
"shiny thing"(tm).

How should we do this?

--mgross

markgross

Jan 25, 2009, 5:45:49 PM1/25/09
to android-platform

Al Sutton

Jan 26, 2009, 3:32:31 AM1/26/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

First off I'd like to say "very very cool work" :).

Now that's out of the way, have you read
http://source.android.com/submit-patches ?

Al.

David Turner

Jan 28, 2009, 12:39:27 PM1/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mark,

Glad to hear you're making great progress with Android on x86.

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 2:45 PM, markgross <mark....@intel.com> wrote:

Getting this work up stream has been a challenge, as some bugs or
missing features in the mainline are blockers for some of this work,
and the core team is being "conservative" with taking code into the
mainline.   (like missing fbset, a deadlock in init when loading
drivers that attempt to load FW and others)

Regarding the "blockers" and "missing features", I'd like to know if you can create
one specific thread for each one of these on android-platform.

I believe it would help tremendously in resolving these issues.

Regards

Gross, Mark

Jan 28, 2009, 1:02:21 PM1/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com

We can create such threads, what about opening up bugs for them as well?

The guys I want to do most of this will be back from spring festival early next week so look for a handful of threads to be created then.

I’ll create one thread for an issue I’ve been close too we can discuss shortly.

--mgross

David Turner

Jan 28, 2009, 5:22:21 PM1/28/09
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Gross, Mark <mark....@intel.com> wrote:

We can create such threads, what about opening up bugs for them as well?

that's a good idea. However if we discuss really blocking bugs on the forum, this will increase the chances
that it becomes flagged in our internal bug tracker that is followed much more frequently than the current
public one (which hopefully is going to be replaced in the future by something much more capable).

The guys I want to do most of this will be back from spring festival early next week so look for a handful of threads to be created then.

I'll create one thread for an issue I've been close too we can discuss shortly.

thanks

Jeff Carr

Jan 28, 2009, 8:02:45 PM1/28/09
to android-platform
On Jan 28, 10:02 am, "Gross, Mark" <mark.gr...@intel.com> wrote:
> We can create such threads, what about opening up bugs for them as well?
>
> The guys I want to do most of this will be back from spring festival early next week so look for a handful of threads to be created then.
>
> I'll create one thread for an issue I've been close too we can discuss shortly.

Did you make your git repository available somewhere (like
android.git.kernel.org?). I'd love to run this stuff in kvm.

Gross, Mark

Jan 29, 2009, 11:14:17 AM1/29/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Nope, we have been doing our work on an internal mirror. I don't have a clue where we could put the binary KVM guest images. I also expect that a binary image would be legally challenging for Intel to post, if we had some place to put it, without first posting the code used to create it.

The challenge I have with this is how to release early and release often with the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) ?

Its pretty frustrating for me watching things move so slowly too.

Say, what if Intel did something like what Andrew Morton has don with the MM tree for linux? We could set up some patch set archives for this work and thus decouple the dependencies for getting our work "out there" from the Android overlords.

To make this work we need named versions of the repo to base the patches off periodically and an easy way for developers to pull the proper version.

--mgross

Chen Yang

Jan 29, 2009, 4:06:54 PM1/29/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Before Mak's release, you may reference this thread to run android on IA in kvm.
http://groups.google.com/group/android-porting/msg/2dedc5fe7ad58ed3
--
Chen

Gross, Mark

Jan 29, 2009, 5:16:53 PM1/29/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, but wouldn't be nice to have a build target you can set up in your buildspec.mk that does all that for you?

--mgross