Ogg on G1

DaveFilms

Nov 16, 2008, 11:02:09 PM11/16/08
to android-platform
I need help with Ogg on G1 Android. It will not play.

Dave Johnson

Nov 16, 2008, 11:45:55 PM11/16/08
to android-platform

I want to know if I need a ogg player?

Andrew Gorcester

Nov 17, 2008, 12:02:42 AM11/17/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Currently there is absolutely no way to play Ogg files on Android.
The current version of the OS does not support it. It might be
possible to implement support for Ogg entirely in a downloadable
application, but if it is possible I don't think it's been done yet.

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Dave Johnson <davefi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to know if I need a ogg player?

Mark Murphy

Nov 17, 2008, 8:01:40 AM11/17/08
Andrew Gorcester wrote:
> Currently there is absolutely no way to play Ogg files on Android.
> The current version of the OS does not support it.

Ogg audio files play fine -- I did that on the emulator and device
yesterday.

Ogg Theora video, though, I have not tried.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com

Dave Johnson

Nov 17, 2008, 8:14:43 AM11/17/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com

How can I get mine to play?
Next update?

On Nov 17, 2008 7:01 AM, "Mark Murphy" <mmu...@commonsware.com> wrote:

Andrew Gorcester wrote: > > Currently there is absolutely no way to play Ogg files on Android. > Th...

Mark Murphy

Nov 17, 2008, 8:22:56 AM11/17/08
Dave Johnson wrote:
> How can I get mine to play?

I was testing Ogg Vorbis in the context of developing an application, so
the file was bundled as a raw resource and played using the MediaPlayer
class. So, if you are developing your own application, it should just
work, at least as of RC30.

If you are inquiring about Ogg Vorbis being played by the built-in Music
application, though, I have no idea. You might see if there is a
third-party player in the Android Market.

Mike Lockwood

Nov 17, 2008, 8:27:31 AM11/17/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Ogg audio files should work using the standard android music player.
Also, all the built-in ringtones on the G1 are in Ogg format.

Mike

--
Mike Lockwood
Google android team

Dave Johnson

Nov 17, 2008, 8:29:16 AM11/17/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com

No market apps yet.
I will try to make one.

On Nov 17, 2008 7:23 AM, "Mark Murphy" <mmu...@commonsware.com> wrote:

Dave Johnson wrote: > > How can I get mine to play?

I was testing Ogg Vorbis in the context of developing an application, so the file was bundled as a raw resource and played using the MediaPlayer class. So, if you are developing your own application, it should just work, at least as of RC30.

If you are inquiring about Ogg Vorbis being played by the built-in Music application, though, I have no idea. You might see if there is a third-party player in the Android Market.

-- Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy) http://commonsware.com _The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Developm...

david...@android.com

Nov 17, 2008, 11:39:53 AM11/17/08
to android-platform
As long as the files have a .ogg extension, they should play with the
built-in music player. We rely on the file extensions because there is
no centralized file recognizer for the media scanner.