Changing DalvikVM Automatic Garbage collector to use Reference Counting

mirza2m

Oct 29, 2009, 10:42:09 PM10/29/09
to android-platform
Hi,
I have read some of DalvikVM code and it looks like it uses tracing
Garbage Collector. How hard would it be to make it use a reference
counting instead? Is it even possible with out changing the whole
architecture?

Thank you

barry

Oct 30, 2009, 11:30:36 AM10/30/09
to android-platform
That would be quite a lot of work, I'd guess.
Google is doing active work on the GC, so I expect that major
architecture changes -- like changing to ref counting -- wouldn't end
up solving major problems.

mirza2m

Oct 30, 2009, 12:02:37 PM10/30/09
to android-platform

On Oct 30, 11:30 am, barry <bha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Google is doing active work on the GC
These changes to the GC or the plans for them are they available some
where?

fadden

Oct 30, 2009, 2:13:22 PM10/30/09
to android-platform
On Oct 30, 9:02 am, mirza2m <babar.ans...@gmail.com> wrote:
> These changes to the GC or the plans for them are they available some
> where?

We haven't published a roadmap for Dalvik changes. Various
improvements are coming, but I can't really go into what or when.

The 2.0 release includes type-precise garbage collection, but really
no other changes to the GC.