When will the Android source code be back?

Francisco Dalla Rosa soares

Oct 13, 2011, 1:01:37 AM10/13/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Even though kernel.org has been back for a while now, Android's repository seems to be down still.
When will the source code be available again?

Thank you in advance

Francisco

--
株式会社アルゴ ARGO Inc.
〒130-0012

ソアレス フランシスコ ( Soares Francisco )
Mail : soa...@argo.bz HP : http://www.argo.bz/
TEL:03-5619-4511 FAX:03-5619-4512

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 13, 2011, 8:48:11 AM10/13/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Kernel.org is indeed in the process of coming back online, bit by bit.
More of it got added back last night.

That being said, and like I've said it already, over and over and
over, on this group and on some others, we're working on coming back
online, but there's nothing more to announce at this point. We'll let
everyone know when we have something available.

JBQ

2011/10/12 Francisco Dalla Rosa soares <soa...@argo.bz>:

> --

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Francisco Dalla Rosa soares

Oct 17, 2011, 2:59:59 AM10/17/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your answer and I'm sorry for getting you to answer this for the thousandth time :)

Andy Quan

Oct 18, 2011, 10:09:14 PM10/18/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi JBQ,
Is there any update?

2011/10/17 Francisco Dalla Rosa soares <soa...@argo.bz>

--
Thanks,
Andy

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 18, 2011, 11:01:08 PM10/18/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
No update at this point.

JBQ

ama...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2011, 11:14:21 PM10/18/11
to android-platform
Well the Ice Cream Sandwich debut was woefully underwhelming, and the
only important thing they could have mentioned went unmentioned.
Nothing about source release. With the Oracle heat on it'd make sense
to get back on that "Do no evil" horse.

On Oct 18, 11:01 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> No update at this point.
>
> JBQ

Sam

Oct 19, 2011, 1:03:32 AM10/19/11
to android-platform
I think the Android team is not forthright on this issue... being open
about the reason would help.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 19, 2011, 1:53:24 AM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
There was a security issue at kernel.org (it's relevant because kernel.org was taking care of the distribution for the Android Open-Source Project), and we're rebuilding the systems in a way that's designed to avoid such issues in the future.

JBQ

On Tuesday, October 18, 2011, Sam <peace...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the Android team is not forthright on this issue... being open
> about the reason would help.

Francisco Dalla Rosa soares

Oct 19, 2011, 2:17:04 AM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
At least now you have some page instead of time out message.
The sheep is cute btw, I like it :)

2011/10/19 Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com>

FeatherKing

Oct 18, 2011, 11:54:43 PM10/18/11
to android-platform
Where was the mention of ICS returning us to open source? and no
mention of tablets? It would seem that we need another, more specific,
ICS event to get some real questions answered. Hopefully we are not
waiting 3 months and halfway to another release before we even see the
source for 4.0

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 19, 2011, 9:42:14 AM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
At the moment I don't have anything to say on that subject.

JBQ

S 'Dis' McCarthy

Oct 19, 2011, 9:52:26 AM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, it probably gets old to have to keep saying that but it really
beats the heck out of saying nothing at all. So good job in a bad
situation, or something.

(<notroll>I really really do hope that android goes back to being
mostly open source, but I'm not holding my breath for when. Past xp
says the ICS source won't be out until the exclusivity is milked
pretty good, and holding my breath for 3+ months has a negative impact
on my quality of life :) ..</notroll>)

ama...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2011, 10:39:15 AM10/19/11
to android-platform
For 4.1 they can do the exclusivity. As far as I'm concerned they've
had exclusivity at the expense of the empire for a year and a half
now. Backwards compatibility is a nightmare.

Let ROM developers catch everyone up, and let us app developers figure
out how to bring the new features to everyone willing to upgrade
themselves (since manufacturers won't do it).

There are extremely useful undocumented features like the new image
handling (done natively) that may or may not ever show up. I'm
hamstrung wondering if I should just develop it myself or give up on
android. Or maybe the trust I put in the platform is justified and
soon I'll be able to tap these new capabilities.

Extremely frustrating. If they don't get on the ball winmo8 is gonna
demolish their market share.

On Oct 19, 9:52 am, "S 'Dis' McCarthy" <dc.disconn...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> FWIW, it probably gets old to have to keep saying that but it really
> beats the heck out of saying nothing at all. So good job in a bad
> situation, or something.
>
> (<notroll>I really really do hope that android goes back to being
> mostly open source, but I'm not holding my breath for when. Past xp
> says the ICS source won't be out until the exclusivity is milked
> pretty good, and holding my breath for 3+ months has a negative impact
> on my quality of life :) ..</notroll>)
>
> 2011/10/19 Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com>:
>

> > At the moment I don't have anything to say on that subject.
>
> > JBQ

Sam

Oct 19, 2011, 12:56:54 PM10/19/11
to android-platform
The Anrdoid Open Source Project started off great, but now seems
to be falling apart. I am suspecting major negative announcements
about the charter of the project in the future.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 19, 2011, 1:18:39 PM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
We simply but suddenly lost all the servers that we were relying on.
Re-building such an infrastructure has been taking time. You're trying
to find a complex explanation where there is none.

We might not remember the same beginnings of AOSP, because from where
I'm sitting things were actually rough for a very long time. I'd say
that the first ~18 months were really bad, i.e. the entire first half
of the project so far. Things really came together in the second half
of last year, and while there've been a few setbacks in the last ~7
months (i.e. Honeycomb not getting Open-Sourced and the servers going
down), I still think that the project has been moving in the right
direction.

JBQ

penguin359

Oct 19, 2011, 1:39:31 PM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious if the kernel.org outage is related to gerrit at RSAC being down.  I'm not sure if it's using the same server infrastructure, but I suppose public submission of patches doesn't make much sense without a public source code repository.  I'm mostly asking because I was working on a patch for repo which has it's source officially hosted elsewhere and available to the general public.

Jesper

Oct 19, 2011, 1:43:23 PM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I don't see how this is different from how it has always been. Google releases a nexus device with some partner and some time after that the code gets released when the final preparations and packaging is done.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/19/ice-cream-sandwich-update-roadmap-andy-rubin/

"when will it get to devices that are already out? In an interview at the AsiaD conference, Andy has put that schedule at “a couple of weeks after” the Galaxy Nexus arrives on the market"

"but another important point made is that ICS will be going open source at about the same time as the update’s released."

Jesper

Oct 19, 2011, 1:50:27 PM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Just to add some information, here is the post from JBQ when he uploaded Gingerbread https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-building/CRFyqBYEyKA

"Nexus S went on sale yesterday morning in the US, running Gingerbread.
Just like I did for Froyo, I'm open-sourcing the matching Android
platform source code"

The difference might be that this time there is a larger delay between phone release and code drop due server issues and skipping of Honeycomb (new repositories for tablet specific stuff?)

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 19, 2011, 1:50:40 PM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the outages at a.g.k.o and r.s.a.c are related in several ways,
even though the servers are physically separate. The two groups of
servers worked closely together, and r.s.a.c alone indeed makes no
sense without a.g.k.o.

JBQ

> --
> "android-platform" group.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-platform/-/X6BVtP6zgA8J.

John Davis

Oct 19, 2011, 10:02:08 AM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry if this is stupid, but phones still use 2.3.4, right? Or, did
they recently upgrade phones from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 19, 2011, 6:38:05 PM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
It depends on the phone. Nexus One and Nexus S use 2.3.6, while Nexus
S 4G has 2.3.7 (which contains a few NFC changes necessary to run
Google Wallet).

JBQ

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 7:02 AM, John Davis <dav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry if this is stupid, but phones still use 2.3.4, right?  Or, did
> they recently upgrade phones from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4?

John Davis

Oct 19, 2011, 6:43:33 PM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Odd. My nexus one uses 2.3.4. Do these updates occur based on
tmobile/att or google?

--
John F. Davis

独树一帜

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 19, 2011, 6:50:17 PM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The whole process is surprisingly complex, and some of the releases
tend to be spread over time, so it's very possible that your phone
hasn't been picked as a winner yet.

JBQ

Steev Klimaszewski

Oct 19, 2011, 1:01:52 PM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

They are following the letter of the license(s), not the spirit. They
are well within their rights, but yeah, they are getting too much of a
pass from their past openness, they are nowhere near as open anymore,
and their current "openness" is on par with iOS even though people try
to claim it isn't.

Karim Yaghmour

Oct 19, 2011, 1:31:18 PM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

FWIW, I'd like to commend you for your dedication to the AOSP. I know
your hands are likely tied and can't really speak about any upcoming
availability of ICS, and, of course, I too am looking forward for it
being available, but I also know infrastructure work takes time,
especially this kind.

Thanks again and looking forward to hearing good news.

--
Karim Yaghmour
CEO - Opersys inc. / www.opersys.com

Brilliant Tiger

Oct 19, 2011, 1:43:38 PM10/19/11
to android-platform
(1) So the electric sheep is back. I didn't get that part.
(2) I'm confused. Is there an ETD on ICS being open sourced ? One can
download updates to the git repositories at android.kernel.org by
using some of the mirror sites (I use codeaurora.org), so how is the
server issue blocking open sourcing of ICS ?

`BT

On Oct 18, 11:17 pm, Francisco Dalla Rosa soares <soa...@argo.bz>
wrote:
> At least now you have some page instead of time out message.
> The sheep is cute btw, I like it :)
>
> 2011/10/19 Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com>
>

> > There was a security issue at kernel.org (it's relevant because kernel.orgwas taking care of the distribution for the Android Open-Source Project),
> > and we're rebuilding the systems in a way that's designed to avoid such
> > issues in the future.
>
> > JBQ

Steev Klimaszewski

Oct 19, 2011, 1:46:48 PM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

There is a saying.... I'm from Missouri, you're gonna have to show me.

(For people not from the US (and many who are), Missouri is the "Show
Me" state.)

Alger, Lin

Mar 29, 2012, 4:57:20 AM3/29/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I release a tool to dumping all classes (includes disclosed and undocumented) at device,  maybe this tool can help you to get undocumented API.

You can get it by URL below.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.twrd.yulin.classminer

ama...@gmail.com於 2011年10月19日星期三UTC+8下午10時39分15秒寫道: