No Adobe Flash support for Eclair!?!

chris

Dec 28, 2009, 1:06:40 PM12/28/09
to android-platform
I kept reading about how one of the biggest news about eclair coming
out in 2010 is that support for Flash 10 (or ANY Flash for that
matter) will be built into it.

This does not appear to be the case for the fact that I download all
the latest source code for Eclair, built and installed Eclair onto my
development phone over the Christmas break and to my surprise/
disappointment there is absolutely no support for Flash when I try to
view with the browser. I tried plugin's and searching for missing .apk
installs for Flash but I found nothing.

Unless I am missing something (i.e. maybe a side tree build for
flash?) and if I did then I apologize but from what I can tell as of
now the Eclair build does and will not support flash.

If anyone knows ANYTHING on this topic on this please update for us.

Thank you

-Chris

Romain Guy

Dec 28, 2009, 1:07:54 PM12/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Eclair, or Android 2.0, came out with the Motorola Droid at the end of 2009 :)

> --

Romain Guy
Android framework engineer
roma...@android.com

to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on

chris harper

Dec 28, 2009, 1:16:55 PM12/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Do you know can you view Flash from the browser on Droid (vs a stand alone flash player)?

If so do you know why the latest Eclair source build does not support Flash? Maybe you have to add in a side build for the Flash libs? From what I understand it is supposed to be built into Eclair.

Thank you for your response.

Romain Guy

Dec 28, 2009, 1:18:34 PM12/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Flash is not supported at the moment.

chris harper

Dec 28, 2009, 1:42:18 PM12/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you  for the clarification it is greatly appreciated.
With so many different sources on the internet it is somewhat difficult to know what is actually available and what isn't.

I got all excited after reading this article which said it is had been done and is possible:
http://www.flashmobileblog.com/2009/08/12/flash-development-with-android-part2/

So all I was simply trying to do is create a WebView like he did (using android.webkit.Webview) and view a .swf file with it.

But again like I stated before, after downloading the latest source code, building it, flashing it to my development phone and flash still not working I am having my doubts (and greatly wondering how this guy said it is working).

Do you know if this is even somewhat possible (maybe a FlashLite plugin I am missing or something?).

Or am just out of luck on this one.

Thank you

Christopher Tate

Dec 28, 2009, 5:11:23 PM12/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The article you cited talks about the HTC Hero. HTC shipped some
Flash technology on the Hero as a proprietary extension to the base
Android platform (along with other proprietary changes such as their
Sense UI). Android itself does not currently incorporate Flash
technology, nor does Adobe currently seem to offer Flash products as
downloadable plugins or applications for Android devices.

--
Chris Tate
Android framework engineer

chris harper

Dec 28, 2009, 5:29:01 PM12/28/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
That explains it.

Ok. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Chris.

schwiz

Dec 28, 2009, 7:17:22 PM12/28/09
to android-platform
I wonder if the nexus one will ship with Flash, place your bets
now!!

On Dec 28, 4:29 pm, chris harper <ch393...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That explains it.
>
> Ok. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Chris.
>

> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Christopher Tate <ct...@google.com> wrote:
> > The article you cited talks about the HTC Hero.  HTC shipped some
> > Flash technology on the Hero as a proprietary extension to the base
> > Android platform (along with other proprietary changes such as their
> > Sense UI).  Android itself does not currently incorporate Flash
> > technology, nor does Adobe currently seem to offer Flash products as
> > downloadable plugins or applications for Android devices.
>
> > --
> > Chris Tate
> > Android framework engineer
>

> > On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM, chris harper <ch393...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Thank you  for the clarification it is greatly appreciated.
> > > With so many different sources on the internet it is somewhat difficult
> > > know what is actually available and what isn't.
>
> > > I got all excited after reading this article which said it is had been
> > done
> > > and is possible:
>

> >http://www.flashmobileblog.com/2009/08/12/flash-development-with-andr...

> > > So all I was simply trying to do is create a WebView like he did (using
> > > android.webkit.Webview) and view a .swf file with it.
>
> > > But again like I stated before, after downloading the latest source code,
> > > building it, flashing it to my development phone and flash still not
> > working
> > > I am having my doubts (and greatly wondering how this guy said it is
> > > working).
>
> > > Do you know if this is even somewhat possible (maybe a FlashLite plugin I
> > am
> > > missing or something?).
>
> > > Or am just out of luck on this one.
>
> > > Thank you

> > of

> > .

> > .

> > .

> > .
>
> > > --

> > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/android-platform?hl=en.

Superg05

Jan 1, 2010, 4:55:39 AM1/1/10
to android-platform
btw google is not the one who makes flash it adobe thats a question u
really should be asking them to hurry up bye and have a good new year
2010 gonna be so much better that 2012

Superg05

Jan 1, 2010, 4:53:24 AM1/1/10
to android-platform

On Dec 28 2009, 4:17 pm, schwiz <sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder if the nexus one will ship with Flash, place your bets
> now!!

not a chance if its a Google experience bet that it having anything
Google didn't make on it won't be there but u will have cool wallpaper
(i said that with a straight face could u tell
OO
___