OpenGL ES, NDK

dalbom

Sep 11, 2009, 3:21:46 AM9/11/09
to android-ndk
I want to know when the NDK supports OpenGL ES library. Anybody knows
when?

Jack Palevich

Sep 11, 2009, 11:22:05 AM9/11/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Search the past discussions of this group, the question has come up several times in the past.

Each time the Google reps say something like "we hope to have it available in a future release".

Dmitry.Skiba

Sep 13, 2009, 5:20:00 AM9/13/09
to android-ndk
Well, it is possible to successfully (at least it runs on emulator and
my G1), link with OpenGL ES in NDK.
See http://groups.google.com/group/android-ndk/web/GLESHack.zip
It as a (loosely) speed comparasion test, which renders 100 textured
triangles using standard/native code (tweak MainActivity to use native
renderer). So, with 100 triangles I got ~10ms for standard and ~7ms
for native code. No much, though ability to link with GL is a blessing
when it comes down to porting.
Project is called GLESHack, yet it uses header files from source tree
and links to libGLESv1_CM (extracted from device), which is a simple
wrapper ontop of actual GL library (software one too). No very
hackerish; I think official GL support might be very similar to what I
did.

Dmitry

Dianne Hackborn

Sep 13, 2009, 2:51:06 PM9/13/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Get this off this list.  OpenGL ES is NOT currently part of the NDK.  Please don't talk about it here, because what you are doing is not supported.  Take it somewhere else.

2009/9/13 Dmitry.Skiba <dmitry...@gmail.com>

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support, and so won't reply to such e-mails.  All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Dmitry.Skiba

Sep 13, 2009, 10:48:58 PM9/13/09
to android-ndk
I've removed the archive from the list of files.
Sorry for all that.

Dmitry

PS. Maybe a word about when should we expect GL support in NDK, or why
we didn't get it yet? Just curious.

On 14 сен, 01:51, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> Get this off this list.  OpenGL ES is NOT currently part of the NDK.  Please
> don't talk about it here, because what you are doing is not supported.  Take
> it somewhere else.
>
> 2009/9/13 Dmitry.Skiba <dmitry.sk...@gmail.com>
>

> > Well, it is possible to successfully (at least it runs on emulator and
> > my G1), link with OpenGL ES in NDK.
> > Seehttp://groups.google.com/group/android-ndk/web/GLESHack.zip
> > It as a (loosely) speed comparasion test, which renders 100 textured
> > triangles using standard/native code (tweak MainActivity to use native
> > renderer). So, with 100 triangles I got ~10ms for standard and ~7ms
> > for native code. No much, though ability to link with GL is a blessing
> > when it comes down to porting.
> > Project is called GLESHack, yet it uses header files from source tree
> > and links to libGLESv1_CM (extracted from device), which is a simple
> > wrapper ontop of actual GL library (software one too). No very
> > hackerish; I think official GL support might be very similar to what I
> > did.
>
> > Dmitry
>
> > On 11 сен, 14:21, dalbom <db.lastw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I want to know when the NDK supports OpenGL ES library. Anybody knows
> > > when?
>
> --
> Dianne Hackborn
> Android framework engineer
> hack...@android.com

Dianne Hackborn

Sep 14, 2009, 1:07:31 AM9/14/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com
2009/9/13 Dmitry.Skiba <dmitry...@gmail.com>

PS. Maybe a word about when should we expect GL support in NDK, or why
we didn't get it yet? Just curious.

As Jack said, this has been addressed on the group a number of time before.  As for why not yet...  why do you think?  It's not yet ready to be maintained.  (And of course our goal in life is to cause as many problems for developers as we can.)

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hac...@android.com

Dmitry.Skiba

Sep 14, 2009, 2:16:26 AM9/14/09
to android-ndk
Well, no problem, we developers can wait (and/or use a bunch of
hacks).
Though I think absense of GL support in NDK (and hence absense of all
goodies that would spring out of it, e.g. SDL) seriously limits number
of games for Android.
And speaking of games, there is one interesting game, Armadillo Roll,
that apparently links to phone's OpenGL. Of course it is made by the
Qualcomm, but nevertheless it feels a little unfair.

Dmitry