need android NDK support for real-time low latency audio; synchronous play and record

Kevin

Dec 4, 2009, 12:24:37 PM12/4/09
to android-ndk
I´ve search the android forums for audio issues, and read a lot of
things developers complain about.

In July, I created Android Issue Bug 3434, and summarized the audio
support that I feel needs to be added to the NDK so android
marketplace apps can be competitive.

I hope developers could star Bug 3434, and push Google and its
partners to add this support, which will enable developers to sell
competitive audio, voice, and VoIP applications through the android
marketplace.

Kevin

Kevin

Dec 4, 2009, 12:39:14 PM12/4/09
to android-ndk

Dmitry.Skiba

Dec 4, 2009, 12:57:33 PM12/4/09
to android-ndk
I doubt Google will implement sound support in NDK soon. Personally I
would prefer them to implement exceptions first :)

Anyway, one can use hacks. For example there is that lovely libmedia
lib: http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=tree;f=media/libmedia;hb=HEAD
It provides native classes that are used by Java counterparts:
AudioTrack, AudioRecord, etc. So, one can start by trying to compile
and use that library. Of course it is unsupported and will certanly
break in future releases (for example, IAudioFlinger binder interface
changed in eclair), but the good news is that it will certanly work
for previous releases (you may need to have multiple libs though).
Paired with Android version detection and handling this hacky solution
may work decently well.

Dmitry

Dmitry.Skiba

Dec 4, 2009, 1:02:51 PM12/4/09
to android-ndk
On the second glance I noticed that you want some specific extra
features, and so my reply is not very relevant. *facepalm*

Dmitry