armeabi-v7a & Eclair

Dmitry Soloviev

May 22, 2010, 6:16:15 AM5/22/10
to android-ndk
Hello All,

Just to make sure: Package Installer in Eclair doesn't support armeabi-
v7a, does it? There is no mention of it in docs so being a novice I'm
not completely sure...

Also, I tried to copy .so compiled for arm7 to armeabi folder and it
worked just fine,
so will it be OK to deploy arm7 lib that way and just check CPU during
runtime using cpufeatures?

Best Regards, Dmitry.

David Turner

May 23, 2010, 2:18:29 AM5/23/10
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 3:16 AM, Dmitry Soloviev <sleepy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello All,

Just to make sure: Package Installer in Eclair doesn't support armeabi-
v7a, does it? There is no mention of it in docs so being a novice I'm
not completely sure...

It should be supported in Eclair

Also, I tried to copy .so compiled for arm7 to armeabi folder and it
worked just fine,
so will it be OK to deploy arm7 lib that way and just check CPU during
runtime using cpufeatures?

You should probably not do that, because Market will then list your application on devices that are not ARMv7-compatible. Unless you provide fallbacks if you detect this case, users will be unhappy.

Best Regards, Dmitry.

Dmitry Soloviev

May 23, 2010, 1:29:08 PM5/23/10
to android-ndk
> It should be supported in Eclair

Well, Package Installer on my HTC Desire fails to install an apk
containing only armeabi-v7a folder. And LogCat shows a message about
wrong eabi version.
Also, when I make 'fat' package, it installs .so from armeabi folder.

Eong

May 23, 2010, 7:24:41 AM5/23/10
to android-ndk
Hi,
I'm also testing the armv7 lib, and it will not install the so file
from armeabi-v7a directory on my Milestone(2.1). Did the guys really
test it?
And I also think the android team should check the scripts carefully
before release, as they did make a stupid mistake in the script and it
will add "LOCAL_LDFLAGS" twice.

In build/core/build-binary.mk: LOCAL_LDFLAGS += $(LOCAL_LDFLAGS) $($
(my)NO_UNDEFINED_LDFLAGS)

On 5月23日, 下午2时18分, David Turner <di...@android.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 3:16 AM, Dmitry Soloviev <sleepyowl...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
>
> > Just to make sure: Package Installer in Eclair doesn't support armeabi-
> > v7a, does it? There is no mention of it in docs so being a novice I'm
> > not completely sure...
>
> It should be supported in Eclair
>
> > Also, I tried to copy .so compiled for arm7 to armeabi folder and it
> > worked just fine,
> > so will it be OK to deploy arm7 lib that way and just check CPU during
> > runtime using cpufeatures?
>
> You should probably not do that, because Market will then list your
> application on devices that are not ARMv7-compatible. Unless you provide
> fallbacks if you detect this case, users will be unhappy.
>
> > Best Regards, Dmitry.
>
> > --

Xavier Ducrohet

May 23, 2010, 2:44:30 PM5/23/10
to andro...@googlegroups.com
While the Package Manager in 2.1 does support installing app from
arm-v7a (with a back up mechanism to install from armeabi if needed
since this is compatible too), this is not hard coded in the package
manager.

It's up to the device to return what ABI(s) it's compatible with. It
looks like both the Desire and the Milestone may be returning only
"armeabi" instead of both "arm-v7a" (as main ABI) and "armeabi" (back
up ABI).

Xav

2010/5/23 Eong <eong...@gmail.com>:
--
Xavier Ducrohet
Android SDK Tech Lead

Please do not send me questions directly. Thanks!

David Turner

May 23, 2010, 6:25:38 PM5/23/10
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Can you do an "adb shell getprop ro.product.cpu.abi" on your Desire and give me the value.
Same with "ro.product.cpu.abi2" ?

Thanks in advance

David Turner

May 23, 2010, 6:26:59 PM5/23/10
to andro...@googlegroups.com

2010/5/23 Eong <eong...@gmail.com>

Hi,
 I'm also testing the armv7 lib, and it will not install the so file
from armeabi-v7a directory on my Milestone(2.1). Did the guys really
test it?
 And I also think the android team should check the scripts carefully
before release, as they did make a stupid mistake in the script and it
will add "LOCAL_LDFLAGS" twice.

In build/core/build-binary.mk:  LOCAL_LDFLAGS += $(LOCAL_LDFLAGS) $($
(my)NO_UNDEFINED_LDFLAGS)

Will look into this. We try to check the scripts carefully, but they are pretty complex,
and sometimes bugs like that creep in (especially when they don't break functionality).

Dmitry Soloviev

May 25, 2010, 8:51:21 AM5/25/10
to android-ndk
> Can you do an "adb shell getprop ro.product.cpu.abi" on your Desire and give
> me the value.
> Same with "ro.product.cpu.abi2" ?

ro.product.cpu.abi = 'armeabi'
and ro.product.cpu.abi2 is empty

Well, I hope they'll fix it when they update Desire to Froyo.

Dmitry Soloviev

Jun 6, 2010, 5:09:38 AM6/6/10
to android-ndk
Update: recent OTA fixed the problem on HTC Desire. Now getprop
returns 'armeabi-v7a' for abi and 'armeabi' for abi2, as it should be.

Regards, Dmitry.

appforce.org

Jun 7, 2010, 1:06:01 AM6/7/10
to android-ndk
I can confirm that Motorola Milestone with 2.1 reports wrong ABI. A
quick workaround for testing is to copy the armeabi-v7a library to
libs/armeabi diractory in the makefile.