VFP disabled on G1/ADP1 builds?

Cedric Vivier

Jun 23, 2009, 3:30:26 PM6/23/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm trying to use VFP instructions but to no avail. Any attempt to use those instructions results in a SIGILL.
Interestingly /proc/cpuinfo features does not even show "vfp" in "Features:".
If I am not mistaken the processor on G1 (and Magic and more...) supports VFP, so is there something I need to do in order to enable VFP in native code, or is VFP usage impossible with current official builds?

Regards,

Cedric Vivier

Jun 23, 2009, 3:35:23 PM6/23/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com

I forgot to add that the emulator (at least on 1.5) on the contrary supports VFP (present in /proc/cpuinfo AND more importantly runs VFP instructions fine).

Regards,

Doug Schaefer

Jun 23, 2009, 4:02:22 PM6/23/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The G1/HTC Dream, or more accurately the Qualcomm chip inside it, does not support VFP, which is pretty disappointing. On the bright side, it's got me to learn more about GLfixed...

pin xue

Jun 23, 2009, 10:09:11 PM6/23/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Oh, it is really out!  Is there anyone tested sw emulation performance?
--
Best Regards!

Yang Wu
Location: Pudong, Shanghai, China.
EMail    : pin...@gmail.com
Website: http://www.pinxue.net

Doug Schaefer

Jun 23, 2009, 10:15:42 PM6/23/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Well, when switching from the software float to fixed point, I didn't really notice much of an improvement in framerate. That tells me the software float is pretty good. Mind you if you're doing a DSP algorithm or something with may more operations you might start feeling the pain.

Cedric Vivier

Jun 23, 2009, 10:16:38 PM6/23/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 4:02 AM, Doug Schaefer <cdt...@gmail.com> wrote:
The G1/HTC Dream, or more accurately the Qualcomm chip inside it, does not support VFP, which is pretty disappointing. On the bright side, it's got me to learn more about GLfixed...

Oh, that's indeed disappointing.
I really thought VFP was a default feature on ARMv6 and superior :-(

Is there any currently available or announced Android handset with VFP support?

Doug Schaefer

Jun 23, 2009, 10:25:20 PM6/23/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I thought it was a really weird decision by Qualcomm, too. Not sure what the trade off was.

I'm hoping that someone will build one from TI's OMAP3 chips like the Palm Pre, but I haven't heard anything.

But then, even if there is, you'll need to be able to handle both configs if you want to hit all the phones with the market. Imagine the same will be true once we get OpenGL ES 2.0, just like Apple is facing with the 3G S. Is this something the manifest file can specify?