Wget ported to Android

Jacob Hoffman-Andrews

Sep 22, 2009, 1:21:35 AM9/22/09
to android-ndk
I spent some time hacking wget to build under the NDK. It works
pretty well, though it's not really in a condition to submit back to
mainline. If you'd like to take a look, though, here's the patch:

http://hoffman-andrews.com/android/wget-android.patch

To build, get wget from http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/wget/wget-1.11.4.tar.gz
and unpack it to android-ndk-1.5_r1/sources/wget. In the wget
directory, run:

./configure --without-ssl --disable-nls --build=arm-eabi

Create android-ndk-1.5_r1/apps/wget/Application.mk:
APP_PROJECT_PATH := $(call my-dir)/project
APP_MODULES := wget

Change back to android-ndk-1.5_r1 and run:
make APP=wget V=1

And here's the binary if you want to skip all that trouble:

http://hoffman-andrews.com/android/wget

Enjoy!

Abhishek Roy

Jun 21, 2013, 12:15:10 PM6/21/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jacob,

Needed some help on running the wget binary on Android.
I have the NDK setup, where do I copythe wget binary you have put below ?

Andri File

Oct 18, 2013, 9:09:33 PM10/18/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com, abhish...@qyuki.com
You should copy the binary in the /bin directory of your device's filesystem.

Nalin Savara

Oct 19, 2013, 9:13:34 AM10/19/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com, abhish...@qyuki.com

And do you need bash or some other unix-like shell also to run wget ?
Or is it wrapped in a simple GUI on Android ?

Regards,

Nalin