[Android Source Download] Issue in downloading Android Source

R Arun

Jun 25, 2010, 1:42:52 AM6/25/10
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have tried to download the android source in my Ubuntu 9.04 (kernel version 2.6.28-11-generic). I have followed the steps mentioned in the site (http://source.android.com/source/download.html) to download. But when i tried to initialize the 'repo' with the latest version of repository using the command (repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git), i am getting the following error.

--------------------------------<Error Msg Snip begin>--------------------------------------

root@testpc-linux:~/bin/mydroid#repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git
gpg: keyring `/root/.repoconfig/gnupg/secring.gpg' created
gpg: keyring `/root/.repoconfig/gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: /root/.repoconfig/gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key 920F5C65: public key "Repo Maintainer <re...@android.kernel.org>" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1

Getting repo ...
   from git://android.git.kernel.org/tools/repo.git
android.git.kernel.org[0: 204.152.191.45]: errno=Connection timed out
android.git.kernel.org[0: 130.239.17.12]: errno=Connection timed out
android.git.kernel.org[0: 149.20.20.141]: errno=Connection timed out
android.git.kernel.org[0: 199.6.1.176]: errno=Connection timed out
fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection timed out)
root@testpc-linux:~/bin/mydroid#

-----------------------------------<Snip End>----------------------------------------------

I have pinged all the ip address shown in the error message, but it fails. I would appreciate any help to resolve this problem.

FYI: I have attached the file (Steps_Followed.txt) which contains the steps that i have followed to download the Android Source.

Thanks in advance,
Arun

Steps_Followed.txt

R Arun

Jun 25, 2010, 1:55:57 AM6/25/10
to Android Linux Kernel Development
FYI: The steps that i have followed to download the Android Source is
attached inline.

Thanks in advance,
Arun

Steps followed to download the Android source:
======================================

1. Install the Packages (Git, JDK, flex, bison, gperf, libsdl-dev,
libesd0-dev, libwxgtk2.6-dev, build-essential, zip, curl) using the
follwing command
root@testpc-linux:~# sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg sun-
java5-jdk flex bison gperf libsdl-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev
build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev

2. Install Valgrind using the following command.
root@testpc-linux:~# sudo apt-get install valgrind

3. Install Repo with the following commands.
root@testpc-linux:~# cd ~
root@testpc-linux:~# mkdir bin
root@testpc-linux:~# echo $PATH
root@testpc-linux:~# curl http://android.git.kernel.org/repo >~/
bin/repo
root@testpc-linux:~# chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

4. Initialize a Repo client with the following commands
root@testpc-linux:~/bin# mkdir mydroid
root@testpc-linux:~/bin/mydroid# cd mydroid
root@testpc-linux:~/bin/mydroid# repo init -u

Anil Babu

Jun 27, 2010, 1:01:51 AM6/27/10
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

I think you are behind the proxy server.

Thanks
anil

> --

Thanks & Regards
Anil
9740402107

Tammana

Jun 28, 2010, 6:53:30 AM6/28/10
to Android Linux Kernel Development
Hi Arun,
You are behind the proxy and I guess you cannot download with "git://
android.git.kernel.org/tools/repo.git" (from your log)

Steps:
1. repo init -u http://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git

After it will download some files and kept in .repo folder.
You need to update the following two files in your sync dir.

2. .repo/manifest.xml (line 2 - replace this line "git://
android.git.kernel.org" with "http://android.git.kernel.org")
3. .repo/repo/repo (Line 5 - Replace this line with "git://
android.git.kernel.org/tools/repo.git" with "http://
android.git.kernel.org/tools/repo.git")

It means just you need to change "git" with "http" in the above two
places.

Hope it will download your source.
Thanks

On Jun 27, 10:01 am, Anil Babu <anilba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I think you are behind the proxy server.
>
> Thanks
> anil
>
> On 6/25/10, R Arun <rarun...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
>
> > I have tried to download the android source in my Ubuntu 9.04 (kernel
> > version 2.6.28-11-generic). I have followed the steps mentioned in the
> > site (http://source.android.com/source/download.html) to download. But
> > when i tried to initialize the 'repo' with the latest version of
> > repository using the command (repo init -u
> > git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git),
> > i am getting the following error.
>
> > --------------------------------<Error Msg Snip
> > begin>--------------------------------------
>
> > root@testpc-linux:~/bin/mydroid#repo init -u
> > git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git
> > gpg: keyring `/root/.repoconfig/gnupg/secring.gpg' created
> > gpg: keyring `/root/.repoconfig/gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
> > gpg: /root/.repoconfig/gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
> > gpg: key 920F5C65: public key "Repo Maintainer
> > <r...@android.kernel.org>" imported
> >       root@testpc-linux:~# curlhttp://android.git.kernel.org/repo>~/
> > bin/repo
> >       root@testpc-linux:~# chmod a+x ~/bin/repo
>
> > 4. Initialize a Repo client with the following commands
> >       root@testpc-linux:~/bin# mkdir mydroid
> >       root@testpc-linux:~/bin/mydroid# cd mydroid
> >       root@testpc-linux:~/bin/mydroid# repo init -u
> > git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git
> >            gpg: keyring `/root/.repoconfig/gnupg/secring.gpg' created
> >            gpg: keyring `/root/.repoconfig/gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
> >            gpg: /root/.repoconfig/gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
> >            gpg: key 920F5C65: public key "Repo Maintainer
> > <r...@android.kernel.org>" imported

Kunal Jain

Jun 27, 2010, 1:35:38 AM6/27/10
to android...@googlegroups.com
If you are behind a proxy server, just try searching for "repo behind proxy" and you will get the steps to configure it.

Bharathi Subramanian

Jun 26, 2010, 10:14:07 PM6/26/10
On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 1:55 PM, R Arun <raru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> android.git.kernel.org[0: 199.6.1.176]: errno=Connection timed out
> fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection timed out)

Looks like firewall is blocking the outgoing git connection. Try with
HTTP or talk to your admin about this.

> root@testpc-linux:~/bin/mydroid#

Working as root user for all task is bad habit. Switch to root, only
for doing the admin and rest of the time, work as normal user.

Bye :)
--
Bharathi Subramanian

AssassinsLament

Jun 27, 2010, 5:30:31 PM6/27/10
to Android Linux Kernel Development
I have been unable to repo sync or repo init since 3 days ago also.
It's not a firewall issue because I have no firewall and because it
was working fine 3 days ago. I couldn't repo sync, that's why i
deleted my whole repo of the android source and now I can't repo init.
It just hangs there and times out at this point:

* [new tag] v1.6.9.7 -> v1.6.9.7
Getting manifest ...
from git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git

On Jun 25, 12:55 am, R Arun <rarun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have tried to download the android source in my Ubuntu 9.04 (kernel
> version 2.6.28-11-generic). I have followed the steps mentioned in the
> site (http://source.android.com/source/download.html) to download. But
> when i tried to initialize the 'repo' with the latest version of
> repository using the command (repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git),
> i am getting the following error.
>
> --------------------------------<Error Msg Snip
> begin>--------------------------------------
>
> root@testpc-linux:~/bin/mydroid#repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git
> gpg: keyring `/root/.repoconfig/gnupg/secring.gpg' created
> gpg: keyring `/root/.repoconfig/gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
> gpg: /root/.repoconfig/gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
> gpg: key 920F5C65: public key "Repo Maintainer
> <r...@android.kernel.org>" imported
>       root@testpc-linux:~# curlhttp://android.git.kernel.org/repo>~/
> bin/repo
>       root@testpc-linux:~# chmod a+x ~/bin/repo
>
> 4. Initialize a Repo client with the following commands
>       root@testpc-linux:~/bin# mkdir mydroid
>       root@testpc-linux:~/bin/mydroid# cd mydroid
>       root@testpc-linux:~/bin/mydroid# repo init -u
> git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git
>                 gpg: keyring `/root/.repoconfig/gnupg/secring.gpg' created
>                 gpg: keyring `/root/.repoconfig/gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
>                 gpg: /root/.repoconfig/gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
>                 gpg: key 920F5C65: public key "Repo Maintainer
> <r...@android.kernel.org>" imported

perumal316

Jun 29, 2010, 10:01:25 PM6/29/10
to Android Linux Kernel Development
Hi,

You may try to do it from a different place. Meaning if currently you
are downloading the source from office, you may try from home or
school etc.

I also faced the same problem, it hanged in repo sync (not sure why?)
and I tried from a different place and there was no issues.

Regards,
Perumal