PMEM

markgross

Nov 27, 2008, 12:32:47 PM11/27/08
to Android Linux Kernel Development
I'm trying to figure out what PMEM is for and why it doesn't compile
for x86. Is there any information on this driver? Should the driver
be made more portable or should kconfig remove the driver from the x86
build?

--mgross

Brian Swetland

Nov 29, 2008, 3:54:28 PM11/29/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
[markgross <mark....@intel.com>]

The pmem driver is used to manage large (1-16+MB) physically contiguous
regions of memory shared between userspace and kernel drivers (dsp, gpu,
etc). It was written specifically to deal with hardware limitations of
the MSM7201A, but could be used for other chipsets as well. For now,
you're safe to turn it off on x86.

We should, of course, fix it to build on x86 or be disabled on not-arm,
whichever makes the most sense.

Brian