Little Kernel bootloader and fastboot

Earlence

Jan 9, 2011, 12:25:44 PM1/9/11
to Android Linux Kernel Development
1. What is the Little Kernel bootloader? and where can I find more
information about it.
2. When the phone is in fastboot mode, what exactly does this mean? is
it in the bootloader?

-E

Mike Lockwood

Jan 9, 2011, 12:30:58 PM1/9/11
to android...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Earlence <earlen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. What is the Little Kernel bootloader? and where can I find more
> information about it.

Sorry I'm not familiar with that.

> 2. When the phone is in fastboot mode, what exactly does this mean? is
> it in the bootloader?

fastboot is android's USB protocol for communicating between the PC
and the bootloader. Being in "fastboot mode" means you are in the
bootloader and the bootloader is ready to communicate with the
fastboot protocol. However it is possible to be in the bootloader but
not in fastboot mode (if the bootloader does not support fastboot, or
is expecting to communicate via some other protocol).

Mike

> -E
>
> --

Mike Lockwood
Google android team

Earlence

Jan 9, 2011, 1:02:14 PM1/9/11
to Android Linux Kernel Development
thanks for the information.

> However it is possible to be in the bootloader but
> not in fastboot mode

Is there a way to get into this via code (maybe a kernel module or
something).

and when in bootloader mode -> I wish to boot the system with another
zImage - similar to the command fastboot provides to temporarily boot
another kernel image.

Cheers,
Earlence

Mike Lockwood

Jan 9, 2011, 1:27:07 PM1/9/11
On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Earlence <earlen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks for the information.
>
>> However it is possible to be in the bootloader but
>> not in fastboot mode
>
> Is there a way to get into this via code (maybe a kernel module or
> something).

It really depends on the hardware, but typically it is done by passing
"bootloader" as an argument to reboot. See
system/core/toolbox/reboot.c for an example.

> and when in bootloader mode -> I wish to boot the system with another
> zImage - similar to the command fastboot provides to temporarily boot
> another kernel image.

If you want to be able to do this programatically from code running on
your device, you could probably do this via the recovery program. I
don't much about how that works, but there should be a lot of
information available from the android hacker community.

Mike

Luo Chunbo

Jan 10, 2011, 12:59:04 AM1/10/11
On 01/10/2011 01:25 AM, Earlence wrote:
> 1. What is the Little Kernel bootloader? and where can I find more
> information about it.
Maybe You can refer following :

https://www.codeaurora.org/2010/03/02/little-kernel-based-android-bootloader

Thanks
Chunbo

mike digioia

Jan 12, 2011, 2:18:03 PM1/12/11
to android...@googlegroups.com
Fastboot allows one to reflash an image onto the device.  In my case I just reflashed my qualcomm snapdragon and the new build image does not boot. The debug build created all the necessary flash files except the persist.img Anyone know why? is this normal for debug builds? Because the device does not boot anymore,