Re: linux-msm-kernel list discontinued. see android-kernel@googlegroups.com

Trilok Soni

Nov 21, 2008, 8:47:08 AM11/21/08
to swet...@google.com, android...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Brian Swetland <swet...@google.com> wrote:

> We're migrating to 2.6.27 for the upcoming Android 1.1 release and will
> have android-2.6.27 and msm-2.6.27 branches published in the very near
> future.

Why you have want to restrict it to 2.6.27? As anyway you are
upgrading the kernel, you should pickup latest 2.6.28-rcX instead?

Any specific reasons on stopping at 2.6.27?

--
---Trilok Soni

Brian Swetland

Nov 21, 2008, 10:14:51 AM11/21/08
to Trilok Soni, android...@googlegroups.com
[Trilok Soni <soni....@gmail.com>]

We're stabilizing on 2.6.27 for upcoming releases. We'll move to later
versions in the future. Doing active development and stabilization on
the tip of the kernel tree is not practical with the number of patches
we have on top of mainline. Over time as (hopefully) more of our work
finds its way to the linux mainline it will be easier to move forward
more rapidly.

Also, having a stable supported release for products to be built around
is useful. The mainline kernel changes very, very fast, which is good
in many ways, but is not what you want when you're freezing code for
testing, stabilization, and commercial launch of products.

We split the difference by doing work against a particular release of
the linux mainline, and periodically stepping forward to a newer release
(like our move to .27).

Brian