Problem figuring out how USB mass storage works in Android

Joshua Hruday

Sep 15, 2010, 2:23:23 AM9/15/10
to Android Linux Kernel Development
Hello All,
I am new to android, recently I have been into Android Kernel, My
requirement is to understand and port USB mass storage, code on to a
new device.
I need to understand the following things...

1> When a USB cable is attached what part of android code is invoked
to show up the POP UP which takes the option from USER.
2> When user selects Mass Storage Mode, what part of the android code
is taking care of mounting the SD card partition, if iam wrong in my
understanding please correct me.
3> Is there any user space daemon or binary which actually does this
mounting or it is just a kernel module that does the job.

Looking for some pointers into code flow.
Any help is of great USE.

Thanks in Advance,
Hruday

riccati

Sep 19, 2010, 4:09:38 AM9/19/10
to Android Linux Kernel Development
Hi,

I have already done this, except for the automount because currently
my init.rc script is not working, so I currenly do manual mount.
First you have to recompile your kernel to enable the block devices,
scsi, filesystem supports (like vfat), then usb mass storage
configurations. Do 'make menuconfig' to easily manage these on the
configuration file. Regarding android code notification to user
(service), as far as I know there exists no such thing, you have to
create one, that's user space.