Problem installing downloaded .apk file

apk...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2008, 12:36:06 PM10/20/08
to Android Internals
got my hands on a G1. I've a signed .apk which installs beautifully
via "adb install" when the G1 is connected to my laptop via USB.
however, attempts to download the very file from the browser & then
install, result in "Application Install unsuccessful" (funnily enough,
with a green tick mark).

I also tried installing the HelloAndroid app created as described
here:
http://davanum.wordpress.com/2007/11/13/hello-world-using-ant-for-googles-android-platform/

the app fails installation w/ the same message. so do other .apk's
off the internet. the only app that seems to work so far is Lunar
Lander which requires no network/data/security privileges:
http://code.google.com/android/samples/LunarLander/index.html

Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks!

eric

Oct 21, 2008, 6:28:01 PM10/21/08
to Android Internals
Hi,

Can you tell us how does the USB ADB works?

The error you are seeing is a SDK 1.0 restriction which is already
reported previously on these groups. SDK 1.0 only allows apk to be
downloaded and installed from Android Market, not anywhere else.

Thanks
Eric

On Oct 21, 2:36 am, "apk...@gmail.com" <apk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> got my hands on a G1.  I've a signed .apk which installs beautifully
> via "adb install" when the G1 is connected to my laptop via USB.
> however, attempts to download the very file from the browser & then
> install, result in "Application Install unsuccessful" (funnily enough,
> with a green tick mark).
>
> I also tried installing the HelloAndroid app created as described
> here:http://davanum.wordpress.com/2007/11/13/hello-world-using-ant-for-goo...

Toediggety

Oct 23, 2008, 4:08:37 AM10/23/08
to Android Internals
With the latest iteration of the SDK (1.0 r1) I was able to upload
my .apk file to my personal website, download and install it. I've
tested that with a few files now. But the thing I found is: when I
used the .apk file generated by employing (in eclipse) Android
Tools... Export Unsigned Application Package, the install would fail.
When I use the .apk file from the bin directory of the project, it
worked fine.

Toe