/system/bin/sqlite3 missing in Android 0.9 beta?

hgschmidt

Aug 19, 2008, 12:19:07 PM8/19/08
to Android Internals
I implemented a shell script (framework) that heavily relies on
sqlite3! After upgrading to the new emulator Android 0.9 beta I had to
realize that /system/bin/sqlite3 is not available anymore ... and I
cannot find it anywhere else within the filesystem.

If I'm simply blind and don't see the executable, somebody might give
me a hint, please.

Otherwise:
1) Is this going to be a permanent change (so: NO sqlite3 on Linux-
level)? I hope not!
2) Does anybody else rely on sqlite3 on Shell-level and has
successfully compiled sqlite3 for the new emulator? Please give me a
note if yes (so I don't have to spent too much time on that and simply
go on changing my scripts)

Thx in advance
Hans

hackbod

Aug 19, 2008, 5:19:52 PM8/19/08
to Android Internals
I believe that final shipping devices with not include the sqlite
command. Our application programming language is Java, which includes
extensive APIs for working with sqlite. You should not generally be
running shell commands from applications, and certainly not the sqlite
command.

For development purposes, we should probably be including the command
with the emulator (and I believe we will eventually have a separate
compiled version you can install on a shipping device), so it's
probably an oversight that it is not in this SDK. But again, this is
only for development purposes such as debugging the contents of a
database, not for use by applications.

hgschmidt

Aug 20, 2008, 5:51:32 AM8/20/08
to Android Internals
Hi hackbod,

well, I guess I will have to rethink my approach in order to get my
scripts running again :-) But anyway, thanks a lot.