Android on Freescale MX31: network error, unknown host

patrick

Mar 3, 2008, 5:32:32 AM3/3/08
to Android Internals
Dear All:
I am trying to run android on my Freescale MX31 platform, it
runs fine, but when I use the android browser to connect to the
Internet, it complains about "network error, unknown host".

Android is run in a change root environment. Before running
android, I have checked the network connection, it can access the
Internet:

/mnt/usb/ramfs $ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:90:FB:07:C6:00
inet addr:192.168.1.122 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:
255.255.255.0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:35243 (34.4 KiB) TX bytes:17755 (17.3 KiB)
Interrupt:90

/mnt/usb/ramfs $ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric
Ref Use Iface
192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0
0 0 eth0
default xx.xxxxxxx.com 0.0.0.0 UG 0
0 0 eth0

/mnt/usb/ramfs $ ping yahoo.com
PING yahoo.com (66.94.234.13): 56 data bytes

After change root, it fails to ping yahoo.com, but it is fine to
ping by using IP directly:

# /data/busybox/busybox ping yahoo.com
ping: bad address 'yahoo.com'

# /data/busybox/busybox ping 66.94.234.13
PING 66.94.234.13 (66.94.234.13): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 66.94.234.13: seq=0 ttl=56 time=187.703 ms
64 bytes from 66.94.234.13: seq=1 ttl=55 time=182.139 ms

I have tried to do the same things in the android emulator, it
can't even ping the host by using the IP, but i can connect to the
Internet by using the browser.

There is a resolv.conf file in the change root environment,
which is the same as the one in the base file system.

I have check the boot up message by accessing the emulator's
shell, there is not much information, it enables the IPv4 and GRE
tunneling, which I think it maybe the reason, but it seems not, as I
also enable the tunneling in my kernel, it fails too.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem, pls kindly let me
know.

Thanks in advance.

patrick

patrick

Mar 3, 2008, 7:46:45 AM3/3/08
to Android Internals
Dear All:
I have figured out the ping problem in the change root
environment, it was due to the missing libraries, after i copied the
libraries from the base system, it works fine. but it is strange,
because the busybox, i download it from http://benno.id.au/blog/2007/11/14/android-busybox,
is statically linked, it doesn't need any extra library.

For the browser, it still reports "Nework Erro, unknow host"

Can somebody help!

patrick

Liu Huadong

Mar 4, 2008, 3:07:06 AM3/4/08
to Android Internals
you need set a dns property,
[net.eth0.dns1]: [10.0.2.3]
[net.gprs.local-ip]: [10.0.2.15]
the above is for emulator, for hardware "net.gprs.dns1"

good lucky

On Mar 3, 8:46 pm, patrick <cha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All:
> I have figured out the ping problem in the change root
> environment, it was due to the missing libraries, after i copied the
> libraries from the base system, it works fine. but it is strange,
> because the busybox, i download it fromhttp://benno.id.au/blog/2007/11/14/android-busybox,

patrick

Mar 5, 2008, 10:34:39 PM3/5/08
to Android Internals
Dear HuaDong:
Thanks a lot for you information, I found those information
for the libc.so file under /system/lib:

net.gprs.dns1
net.gprs.dns2
net.rmnet0.dns1
net.rmnet0.dns2
net.eth0.dns1
net.eth0.dns2
net.wlan0.dns1
net.wlan0.dns2

the following setting is for the emulator:

# netcfg
gre0 DOWN 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
0x00000080
tunl0 DOWN 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
0x00000080
eth0 UP 10.0.2.15 255.255.255.0
0x00001043
lo UP 127.0.0.1 255.0.0.0
0x00000049

but i am not sure about how to set the dns property, in the /
etc/resolv.conf file or some where else? would you pls give me some
further infomation?

patrick

patrick

Mar 6, 2008, 1:06:23 AM3/6/08
to Android Internals
Hi HuaDong:
I made it work. I have edited the file /etc/init.rc, so that
it wouldn't start any service and then a the folloing line to my
android start script:

1. /init &
2. sleep 5
3. setprop net.eth0.dns1 192.168.1.250
4. setprop net.gprs.local-ip 192.168.1.122

For line 1, init has to put in the background, otherwise, it
will stop there

For line 2, just make sure everything call by init is done
before setprop

For line 3 and 4, setup the properties as you mentioned.

Really thanks for your hints.

BTW, have you ever tried the touchscreen? I am working on it
now, but seems a long way to go, as android doesn't response when i
click on the touchscreen.

patrick

FengForky

Mar 15, 2008, 8:20:04 AM3/15/08
to Android Internals
I encounted the same problem of "unkown host".
My PC is WindowsXP + android-sdk_m5-rc15_windows.
I connected to the internet by ADSL. I'm in Beijing,China.

How to solve it?

patrick

Mar 24, 2008, 10:51:32 PM3/24/08
to Android Internals
Dear,
Pls refer to the following link, it may help:

http://groups.google.com/group/android-discuss/browse_thread/thread/be3d8382d3ca05d1/9a57ec6bd4e83292?lnk=gst&q=Freescale+MX31#9a57ec6bd4e83292

Since I am not using Window, and not good at window as well, I
don't think I can help you that much, but goodLuck might help you.

It may due to the network setting, just my guess.

Regards
patrick

fantazio

Mar 26, 2008, 2:05:22 AM3/26/08
to Android Internals
Patrick,

do you have an howto on how to port to MX31?
do you use the standard freescale devkit? what about the kernel mods?
is it plug'n play?

thanks!

.l

On Mar 24, 7:51 pm, patrick <cha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear,
> Pls refer to the following link, it may help:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/android-discuss/browse_thread/thread/b...
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Stone Mirror

Mar 29, 2008, 10:38:48 PM3/29/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:05 PM, fantazio <luca.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

do you have an howto on how to port to MX31?

Huh.

I just noticed that, according to the terms and conditions of the SDK, folks are barred from running Android on anything but a PC:

3.3 Except to the extent required by applicable third party licenses, you may not copy (except for backup purposes), modify, adapt, redistribute, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or create derivative works of the SDK or any part of the SDK. Except to the extent required by applicable third party licenses, you may not load any part of the SDK onto a mobile handset or any other hardware device except a personal computer, combine any part of the SDK with other software, or distribute any software or device incorporating a part of the SDK.

I wasn't aware of that. Did that clause come in with the newer version of the SDK...?

--
鏡石

patrick

Mar 30, 2008, 5:21:53 AM3/30/08
to Android Internals
Dear:
Yes, it is included in the newer version of SDK, you
can check the "LICENSE".

But what about this:

Except to the extent required by applicable third party licenses, you
may not copy (except for backup purposes), modify, adapt,
redistribute,
decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or create derivative works
of the
SDK or any part of the SDK

So many programmers are creating their "derivative
works" base on the SDK, do they break the terms as well?

And one more thing, as I know that few parties have
ported the Android to the handset and/or embedded system, I am
wondering whether they got the licenses as well.

It really confuses me, I think I will stop it for the
moment.

Patrick

On 3月30日, 上午10時38分, "Stone Mirror" <stonemir...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:05 PM, fantazio <luca.riga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > do you have an howto on how to port to MX31?
>
> Huh.
>
> I just noticed that, according to the terms and conditions of the SDK, folks
> are barred from running Android on anything but a PC:
>
> 3.3 Except to the extent required by applicable third party licenses, you
> may not copy (except for backup purposes), modify, adapt, redistribute,
> decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or create derivative works of the
> SDK or any part of the SDK. Except to the extent required by applicable
> third party licenses, *you may not load any part of the SDK onto a mobile
> handset or any other hardware device except a personal computer*, combine

patrick

Mar 30, 2008, 5:40:48 AM3/30/08
to Android Internals
Hi:

I donot have a howto on how to port to MX31, I just follow the
steps in:

http://euedge.com/blog/2007/12/06/google-android-runs-on-sharp-zaurus-sl-c760/

I used the freescale MX31ADS board.

You can find the kernel patch from:

http://benno.id.au/blog/

patrick

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 30, 2008, 10:03:27 AM3/30/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
First, applications that run on top of Android is not consider
derivative works based on the SDK.

Notice: From this point what I'm writing here is neither official
advice from Google, nor legal advice. It's just a personal opinion and
I carry no weight in the balance. It's still up to you to figure out
exactly what you want to do.

As I understand, Google is worried about e.g. these possible situations:

-a case where a rogue manufacturer ship a device with the current SDK
image (that'd be bad for the image of Android, and would put Google in
a delicate position with its alliance partners).

-having people distribute modified (or unmodified) versions of the SDK
(besides potential license issues with the partners, that would cause
headaches in terms of support).

-having people "manually" extract parts of the SDK and redistribute
them individually or re-use them as part of their own projects
(Android-related or not) (that would put Google in a delicate
positions with it alliance partners).

That list is not exhaustive, there are probably other situations that
Google is worried about and would be unhappy about if they happened.

My best guess, personally (and not an advice in any way, shape or
form), is that Google isn't likely to cause you any trouble if you try
to run the SDK on your development board. Similarly, if you
disassembles a class in the SDK (especially if there's a good reason
to believe that the class in question was written by Google and not
one of the alliance partners) for the purpose of debugging you
application, I don't expect that you'd get Google's lawyers knocking
at your door. In case Google asks you do stop, just stop.

Google is not evil, they just need to protect the image of Android,
and they need to protect their partners' intellectual property. Just
don't be stupid.

JBQ

patrick

Apr 1, 2008, 12:52:21 AM4/1/08
to Android Internals
Hi:
Thx for your advices.

google always provides some fantastic works, i really appreciate
that.

i am current contacting google to see whether can get the third
party license so that i can continue my work.

Patrick

ruckuus

Apr 21, 2008, 7:17:39 AM4/21/08
to Android Internals
So, Will there be no more android hardware porting or what ?
Ruckuus

patrick

Apr 22, 2008, 11:31:24 PM4/22/08
to Android Internals
Hi:
Yes, I stop it for the moment.

As i know that you have ported andriod to MX31 as well, does the
touchscreen work?

patrick