FAO: Dan Morrill. Judging process.

Ian S

May 2, 2008, 3:54:37 AM5/2/08
to Android Challenge
Hi Dan,

Apologies for the direct message, I just didn't want to get to the
announcement of the winners and regret that I didn't raise this.

I have held out on posting and getting involved in the endless debate
about server hits as I felt it best to have faith in the process.
However, with one business day left before the supposed announcement
deadline and an expectation that we are down to the last 100 entries,
I felt it was time to post.

My submission, LifeTaggr, has been run once for 5 minutes hitting only
20% of features and started then stopped twice with no further
functionality accessed. The server has been up and accessible
permanently.

If we are so near to the deadline, could you please explain how this
can be? Perhaps judging is being done without actually running the
application? (which seems inconceivable) or we are not at the cut down
to 100 stage and judging is significantly behind schedule?

There has been a lot of baseless speculation on this forum so I (and
I'm sure many others) would greatly appreciate some input off someone
who actually knows.

Kind Regards,

Ian

sagar

May 2, 2008, 4:26:04 AM5/2/08
to Android Challenge
hi....
same is the case here...at least you got the hit... ours is still in
the waiting list :[

if you get some reliable information about the same please inform me
on saagic...@gmail.com.....i will be greatful to you :]

Greg Fodor

May 2, 2008, 11:23:42 AM5/2/08
to Android Challenge
I figured I should throw in my two cents -- I still have not seen
anyone hit my application after the first judge. This judge logged in
and chose a university (my app is a college related program, choosing
your school is a minor first-step when you first enter the program)
and then stopped using the app. Altogether this took 2 minutes, and
didn't exercise any of the features. I figured it was a spot check but
I have yet to see anyone else hit the app.

On May 2, 4:26 am, sagar <saagichha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi....
> same is the case here...at least you got the hit... ours is still in
> the waiting list :[
>
> if you get some reliable information about the same please inform me
> on saagichha...@gmail.com.....i will be greatful to you :]

Incognito

May 2, 2008, 12:32:32 PM5/2/08
to Android Challenge
Let me guess, its a FaceBook rip off. Am I right?
> > > Ian- Hide quoted text -

Pepel

May 2, 2008, 4:42:32 AM5/2/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Our server received hits from 4 diferents ip's (4 judges???) but, as our application uses the android camera, and they did use the square bouncing (instead of some image included in the documentation, or their own), the application couldn't be tested properly...

  regards,

Anil

May 3, 2008, 8:05:20 AM5/3/08
to Android Challenge
I think what we contestants are missing is clearly stated in the
contest criteria.
If a judge deems the idea is useless, then he or she doesn't have to
go any further.
thanks,
Anil

On May 2, 3:42 am, Pepel <superpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our server received hits from 4 diferents ip's (4 judges???) but, as our
> application uses the android camera, and they did use the square bouncing
> (instead of some image included in the documentation, or their own), the
> application couldn't be tested properly...
>
> regards,
>
> On 5/2/08, sagar <saagichha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > hi....
> > same is the case here...at least you got the hit... ours is still in
> > the waiting list :[
>
> > if you get some reliable information about the same please inform me
> > on saagichha...@gmail.com.....i will be greatful to you :]
>
> > On May 2, 12:54 pm, Ian S <i...@lifetaggr.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Dan,
>
> > > Apologies for the direct message, I just didn't want to get to the
> > > announcement of the winners and regret that I didn't raise this.
>
> > > I have held out on posting and getting involved in the endless debate
> > > about server hits as I felt it best to have faith in the process.
> > > However, with one business day left before the supposed announcement
> > > deadline and an expectation that we are down to the last 100 entries,
> > > I felt it was time to post.
>
> > > My submission, LifeTaggr, has been run once for 5 minutes hitting only
> > > 20% of features and started then stopped twice with no further
> > > functionality accessed. The server has been up and accessible
> > > permanently.
>
> > > If we are so near to the deadline, could you please explain how this
> > > can be? Perhaps judging is being done without actually running the
> > > application? (which seems inconceivable) or we are not at the cut down
> > > to 100 stage and judging is significantly behind schedule?
>
> > > There has been a lot of baseless speculation on this forum so I (and
> > > I'm sure many others) would greatly appreciate some input off someone
> > > who actually knows.
>
> > > Kind Regards,
>
> > > Ian
>
> --
> Pepel

dr123

May 3, 2008, 9:23:18 AM5/3/08
to Android Challenge

I thought there will be 4 judges. It is very dangerous for a single
one person to decide wheather your app is useless or the next big
thing.
Especially if the ideas are innovative and a little "wacko" net stuff.

hitsu_g

May 3, 2008, 10:07:29 AM5/3/08
to Android Challenge
Anil, I am curious where you get that info from. What I read is
"submissions to the Challenge are evaluated on four distinct criteria:
(1) Originality, (2) Effective Use of the Android Platform, (3) Polish
and Appeal, and (4) Indispensability" which doesn't sound like a judge
could just say, "I don't like the idea - they fail." Is there
something in the written contest criteria that I missed? Just
curious...