Dear Android Developer Challenge losers,

Muthu Ramadoss

May 6, 2008, 3:01:17 AM5/6/08
to android...@googlegroups.com, android-d...@googlegroups.com, Android Challenge, et...@googlegroups.com

Dear Android Developer Challenge losers,

Submitted by muthu.ramadoss on Tue, 05/06/2008 - 12:25.

May 12, 2008. Monday.
Your android application is not in the top 50 ADC winners list.

Dear Android Developer Challenge losers,

I know you are drunk. I know you are hung over. I know you are feeling terrible. I know you are at your lows. I know life sucks. I know you can't get out of your bed. But wake up, will ya?

Your android application is not in the top 50 winners list. Cool. Take a deep breath. Look outside. Anything changed? Nah.. nothing changed. Your wife loves you as much as she did before. Your kids love you as much as they did before. Your friends love you just like before. You must do the same. You must do the same to your Android application. Give it the same love, will ya?

First thing first, Send out your congratulations to the top 50 winners. Yes, you heard me right. Do it now, and do it fast. Better? It felt good right? Yeah I know, It feels great. Wonderful.

Now that you are feeling better, let me tell you this:

Read more...

--
take care,
Muthu Ramadoss.

http://mobeegal.in
find stuff closer.

joos

May 6, 2008, 4:46:46 AM5/6/08
to Android Challenge
>Your wife loves you as much as she did before.

Lets hope is is like this.

My (future) wife watched me closely during the last months. How I
didn't join her in front of TV. How I stared out of the window during
dinner (thinking of what I could improve in my code - earlier; how
individual server hits and user behaviour might lead to a score).

Of course my personal life suffered a bit recently.

It would be terriffic to have some success to report. Then everything
would make sense.

Without a success, it does not make so much sense to work a few months
late at night for nothing. I guess everyone thinks like this.

But I think it is not like that. Android is a great platform, and even
without a great contest result there is work to do. There will be
projects to do (I actually heard of one). And just in general I
learned a lot. I didn't know it was so easy to develop LBS software
for smart phones. It opened my mind in many ways.

Moreover you can say to yourself, that you were one of these 1788
entrants. 1788 became a really magic number.

On 6 Mai, 09:01, "Muthu Ramadoss" <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Android Developer Challenge
> losers,<http://www.helloandroid.com/node/535> Submitted
> by muthu.ramadoss on Tue, 05/06/2008 - 12:25.
>
> May 12, 2008. Monday.
> Your android application is not in the top 50 ADC winners list.
>
> Dear Android Developer Challenge losers,
>
> I know you are drunk. I know you are hung over. I know you are feeling
> terrible. I know you are at your lows. I know life sucks. I know you can't
> get out of your bed. But wake up, will ya?
>
> Your android application is not in the top 50 winners list. Cool. Take a
> deep breath. Look outside. Anything changed? Nah.. nothing changed. Your
> wife loves you as much as she did before. Your kids love you as much as they
> did before. Your friends love you just like before. You must do the same.
> You must do the same to your Android application. Give it the same love,
> will ya?
>
> First thing first, Send out your congratulations to the top 50 winners. Yes,
> you heard me right. Do it now, and do it fast. Better? It felt good right?
> Yeah I know, It feels great. Wonderful.
>
> Now that you are feeling better, let me tell you this:
>
> Read more...
> http://www.helloandroid.com/node/535
>
> - Read more <http://www.helloandroid.com/node/535>

Incognito

May 6, 2008, 4:48:01 AM5/6/08
to Android Challenge
>Your android application is not in the top 50 winners list. Cool. Take a deep breath. Look outside. Anything >changed?

Well, at least now I can get on with my life. :)

On May 6, 3:01 am, "Muthu Ramadoss" <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Dear Android Developer Challenge
> losers,<http://www.helloandroid.com/node/535> Submitted
> by muthu.ramadoss on Tue, 05/06/2008 - 12:25.
>
> May 12, 2008. Monday.
> Your android application is not in the top 50 ADC winners list.
>
> Dear Android Developer Challenge losers,
>
> I know you are drunk. I know you are hung over. I know you are feeling
> terrible. I know you are at your lows. I know life sucks. I know you can't
> get out of your bed. But wake up, will ya?
>
> Your android application is not in the top 50 winners list. Cool. Take a
> deep breath. Look outside. Anything changed? Nah.. nothing changed. Your
> wife loves you as much as she did before. Your kids love you as much as they
> did before. Your friends love you just like before. You must do the same.
> You must do the same to your Android application. Give it the same love,
> will ya?
>
> First thing first, Send out your congratulations to the top 50 winners. Yes,
> you heard me right. Do it now, and do it fast. Better? It felt good right?
> Yeah I know, It feels great. Wonderful.
>
> Now that you are feeling better, let me tell you this:
>
> Read more...
>  http://www.helloandroid.com/node/535
>
>    - Read more <http://www.helloandroid.com/node/535>

baldmountain

May 6, 2008, 9:24:16 AM5/6/08
to Android Challenge
I have a whole string of these. The worst one was with the BeOS. I
started a company and released an application. I sold a few copies and
then Be Inc. folded. My wife now calls these things, "Another one of
your crazy get rich schemes."

Incognito

May 6, 2008, 9:31:36 AM5/6/08
to Android Challenge
Wow, did a search on BeOS, I was still in primary school back then.
Really retro stuff.
> > late at night for nothing. I guess everyone thinks like this.- Hide quoted text -

Incognito

May 6, 2008, 9:34:35 AM5/6/08
to Android Challenge
>I have a whole string of these. The worst one was with the BeOS. I
>started a company and released an application. I sold a few copies and
>then Be Inc. folded. My wife now calls these things, "Another one of
>your crazy get rich schemes."

Why don't you go mainstream rather then with an unknown operating
system? Only reason I'm with this new operating system is because of
the cash prices. Although, now that I look at it my chances are quite
slim if not nil.

baldmountain

May 6, 2008, 9:37:13 AM5/6/08
to Android Challenge
Great, thanks dude. Making me feel old too.

:)

My first programming class was basic on a time share system using a
teletype machine. You stored you programs on paper tape. My first
system was a RadioShack TRS80 (trash 80) Model 1.

baldmountain

May 6, 2008, 10:12:30 AM5/6/08
to Android Challenge
The prizes are nice, but that is not what it's about. It's a new
platform to explore that is not Windows. With the BeOS it was about a
new OS designed using the latest software engineering techniques
rather than as a mutation of an OS designed in the 70s for a 8 bit
microprocessor. I love platforms. I love to learn about them and take
them apart to figure out how all the pieces fit together. The best way
to do this is to build something using the platform. I wasn't planning
on submitting anything to the ADC but one thing lead to another and
the app I started to explore Android turned into something usable so I
submitted it. The same thing happened with the BeOS.

efon...@gmail.com

May 6, 2008, 11:29:12 AM5/6/08
to Android Challenge
Baldmountain,
I don't know if you are older from a more affluent background, or
actually younger. All through undergrad we used punch cards submitted
to the data center wrapped in rubber bands. The punch card machines
were hidden in stairwells around campus. Terminal time was too
expensive for our department... The National Labs were more
sophisticated – batch processing through modeling programs... but
surprisingly a summer job at a start up was even better. We were doing
a networked instrumentation system for nuclear power plants:
Instrumentation carts polled by PDP-11s reporting to redundant VAX
11780s driving graphical displays that communicated state information
to the control room... I think about the same time an economics
teacher from high school was using a Tandy or TRS 80 to predict
football opponents' play calling tendencies based on game context:
down, distance, clock,... Anyway, I don't think you are the oldest.

Ed
> > slim if not nil.- Hide quoted text -

baldmountain

May 6, 2008, 12:17:43 PM5/6/08
to Android Challenge
Nah, probably about the same age. The TRS80 was my dad's. (He liked
gadgets. :) ) I didn't see anything like a PDP-11 until I was a
teaching assistant in grad school for a machine architecture course.
(I learned PDP-11 assembly language in about 3 days so I could start
correcting homework and work in the lab.) I did my thesis project, (a
Fortran simulation of a fast Raleigh fading communications channel)
using a Commodore 64 connected through a 300 baud modem to a CDC Cyber
mainframe at the University. I was a EE major and didn't really start
programming until I was out of school for a few years. I wanted to be
a Radar engineer but that didn't work out.

And nah, I'm sure I'm not the oldest. Just reminiscing a bit about the
old days. The only thing I feel like I missed out on was not getting
the chance to work on a Lisp Machine...

Andre.Legendre

May 6, 2008, 12:42:46 PM5/6/08
to Android Challenge
Good old time good new times
For my concern I start by drawing my own board based on a 6800 chip.
From Motorola specs nothing else...
We had to load our Operating System and to code using assembly
language.
First program was a Go Game.It start then to have some specialized
newspapers where we found some good information.
Then we was able to use some Os names Flex and we got basic...and C
language later.

No hard disk, no floppy disk : music tape with some modem like system
to record and to read....

At that time professional side was PDP11 at Digital and some other IBM
staff with Huge 5Mo (Yes Mega Bytes) hard disks...

Then IBM PC arrived with DOS and then I succed to get Unix on PC (with
64 Ko Memory and floppy disk.

etc....

And now we work on Android and would like to get somebody to look
after or work....

But any way we enjoy a lot and we will for a while.

Andre

Incognito

May 6, 2008, 2:16:46 PM5/6/08
to Android Challenge
I'm like you guys. I enjoy playing with gadgets a lot. As I was
growing up this is all I did, take things apart, see how they work and
then tried to put them together again. The putting together thing
never worked, I always broke whatever I took apart.

wave connexion(BQ)

May 9, 2008, 4:31:22 AM5/9/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I am glad I am not the oldest one in this forum. I read that paper-punch story in book but I did use PDP-11. And I guess they still in service somewhere in the world. Nothing changed fundamentally except improved productivity through Internet and Phone.
--
BQ