BREAKING - May 5 ADC winners announcement postponed, May 7 likely!

1 view

Muthu Ramadoss

May 5, 2008, 3:51:27 AM5/5/08
to Android Challenge, android-d...@googlegroups.com

BREAKING - May 5 ADC winners announcement postponed, May 7 likely!

Here's quoting Google's Dan Morrill from the android-challenge forums:

Actually, if I recall correctly the judges are due to have their scores on the 100 back to us by Wednesday. Then we have to tabulate the scores, and I think the legal department has to finish their eligibility review (to make sure no submitters are known terrorists, and that sort of thing. ;)

So I don't think we'll be able to announce anything before Wednesday. But as far as I know we are still on track to announce sometime next week.

- Dan

Now go back to work, people!

http://www.helloandroid.com/node/533

--
take care,
Muthu Ramadoss.

http://mobeegal.in
find stuff closer.

vetch

May 5, 2008, 4:52:52 AM5/5/08
to Android Challenge
stop spamming the lists, Muthu. All interested, already know this.

greets,
peter

Muthu Ramadoss

May 5, 2008, 5:02:01 AM5/5/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_spam

Read that and tell me how this post would be a spam?

There's a lot of folks around the world who'll wake up and look for ADC winner announcements. By keeping a separate post about the winners announcement getting postponed, they can immediately get the news.

This is not a spam, its indeed a community service. And all you can do is, tell me this post is a spam since you managed to dig through the forums and find the information.

Ahti Kitsik

May 5, 2008, 5:18:58 AM5/5/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
It's NOT postponed as long as it happens this week. FAQ clearly states that it happens this week, not May 5th (yes, I know they changed from 5th to the ~5thW somewhere withing last few weeks).

No reason to transform simple explanations into press-releases - for projects/challenges like this it really doesn't matter if it happens today or Friday :)
Getting it "right" is just as important as being "on time".

regs,
Ahti

Muthu Ramadoss

May 5, 2008, 5:25:50 AM5/5/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
It does matter when the announcement will be made. May be not for you, but for me certainly yes.

baker

May 5, 2008, 6:14:46 AM5/5/08
to Android Challenge
Thanks for the update Muthu, I wouldn't have found Dan's response
buried in a thread.

On May 5, 7:25 pm, "Muthu Ramadoss" <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It does matter when the announcement will be made. May be not for you, but
> for me certainly yes.
>

> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Ahti Kitsik <ahti.kit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It's NOT postponed as long as it happens this week. FAQ clearly states
> > that it happens this week, not May 5th (yes, I know they changed from 5th to
> > the ~5thW somewhere withing last few weeks).
>
> > No reason to transform simple explanations into press-releases - for
> > projects/challenges like this it really doesn't matter if it happens today
> > or Friday :)
> > Getting it "right" is just as important as being "on time".
>
> > regs,
> > Ahti
>
> > On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Peter,
>
> > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_spam
>
> > > Read that and tell me how this post would be a spam?
>
> > > There's a lot of folks around the world who'll wake up and look for ADC
> > > winner announcements. By keeping a separate post about the winners
> > > announcement getting postponed, they can immediately get the news.
>
> > > This is not a spam, its indeed a community service. And all you can do
> > > is, tell me this post is a spam since you managed to dig through the forums
> > > and find the information.

Muthu Ramadoss

May 5, 2008, 6:21:36 AM5/5/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Welcome Craig.

This is exactly, why this thread was started, to help members get to the important information quickly. I've found most of Dan responses buried deep inside other threads and easy to miss.

Glad people find this useful.

keashF

May 5, 2008, 6:31:58 AM5/5/08
to Android Challenge
you could bookmark Dan's profile. then you'd find his posts quickly.

on the other hand, i don't think this is a spam thread. it's the only
method we have to keep important news on top. I wonder what happened
to making sticky threads..

Muthu Ramadoss

May 5, 2008, 6:35:57 AM5/5/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Agreed.. power users can get information quickly, hidden or not.

I'm talking about the normal users who don't have much time to hang in these forums. I know for sure a lot of folks are expecting results on May 5. This thread is for them.

Thanks Keash for the support.

r&d

May 5, 2008, 9:34:46 AM5/5/08
to Android Challenge
Yes. I am one of them being served.

Thank you, Muthu.
> find stuff closer.- 隱藏被引用文字 -
>
> - 顯示被引用文字 -

Chris

May 5, 2008, 10:38:07 AM5/5/08
to Android Challenge
Do I get no credit LOL? I posted that they weren't annoucing on the
5th weeks ago!
> > - 顯示被引用文字 -- Hide quoted text -

Biosopher

May 5, 2008, 10:41:34 AM5/5/08
to Android Challenge
Thanks Muthu!

javqui

May 5, 2008, 12:02:37 PM5/5/08
to Android Challenge
Muthu is a great component for the life of android discussion groups.
So, thanks Muthu.

Incognito

May 5, 2008, 12:53:27 PM5/5/08
to Android Challenge
hmmm,I don't really see why you would call this spam. Not spam from my
point of view.

Muthu Ramadoss

May 6, 2008, 12:28:16 AM5/6/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Its a mystery why anyone in their right mind will call this a spam since this was a separate thread created, with the intention clearly advertised in bold.

Community doesn't get made lurking and hiding in a corner. It gets made when people come out and participate by voicing their thoughts in all possible ways.

Don't stifle my freedom of speech please.

Muthu Ramadoss

May 6, 2008, 12:29:05 AM5/6/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all your support from fellow droids. Appreciated.

Peli

May 6, 2008, 6:25:44 AM5/6/08
to Android Challenge
On May 6, 6:28 am, "Muthu Ramadoss" <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...] anyone in their right mind will call this a spam since
> this was a separate thread created, with the intention [...] advertised in
> bold.

Separate thread created? Advertised? In bold?

superficially this smells and looks like spam :-)

If it smells like spam and looks like spam - it may be spam (see also
duck typing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_typing )

But just like Java does not support duck typing, Muthu does not type
like a duck, and definitely is not the type for ducking. It is another
of Muthu's poetic masterpieces, which I have to admit, I enjoy reading
a lot :-)

Peli

Muthu Ramadoss

May 6, 2008, 6:56:10 AM5/6/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I can now safely say there's a HUGE fan following for me with the Android crowd and  autograph hunters , paparazzi et al are after me.

If this continues, I'll soon claim credit for Android awareness all across the world.

Google, are you listening?

:-)

Incognito

May 6, 2008, 6:59:21 AM5/6/08
to Android Challenge
Nice job in taking Muthu's words out of context. Just like the Pros.

Peli

May 6, 2008, 7:13:56 AM5/6/08
to Android Challenge
On May 6, 12:59 pm, Incognito <androidf...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> N[ext] job: tak[e] Muthu [...] out of conte[s]t. Just like the Pros.

got it B-)

Peli 007

Muthu Ramadoss

May 6, 2008, 7:19:50 AM5/6/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Oh, oh.. There's a conspiracy going on now. Help!

** going back to read 'Dear Android Developers Challenge losers," post.. LOL.

Muthu Ramadoss

May 8, 2008, 1:30:59 AM5/8/08
to Android Challenge
UPDATE:

The top 50 winners list for ADC Phase I are expected to be announced
May 9, Friday.

Good luck, Droids!