Poll: How many hours have you spent on your entry?

Apr 6, 2008, 2:00:52 PM4/6/08
to Android Challenge
I started my project the first week the initial Android SDK come out.

I have a full time job so I have spent big chunks of my weekends and
weeknights to complete this project. It's been a great learning
experience.

Estimated total hours spent: ~400 hours.

Dan U.

Apr 6, 2008, 2:54:42 PM4/6/08
to Android Challenge
I'd say about 300-400 hours spread out over 5 projects, which includes
time spent writing php websites related to each one.

Incognito

Apr 6, 2008, 5:20:47 PM4/6/08
to Android Challenge
A couple of hundred hours too. I've actually been recording all my
time spent day by day but too lazy to add the time up.
> > Estimated total hours spent: ~400 hours.- Hide quoted text -

Nanard

Apr 6, 2008, 6:28:07 PM4/6/08
to Android Challenge
I have started the 1st day the SDK has been released.
I've evaluated some Open Source libraries (not on Android first).
I've come back to previous backup twice (wasted time, I could have
avoided !)

All together : around 300 hours.

tberthel

Apr 6, 2008, 7:42:04 PM4/6/08
to Android Challenge
I depending on what you mean by "spent on your entry"

I would like to think that I have spent much more on it if you
consider 3 years getting money for college, 4 years going to college,
4 years of professional programming, and 5 years of hack code.

I would say I have spent at least 35, 000 man hours on my entry:
http://allbinary.axspace.com/

If I did not have the 16 years of hard work into it I don't think I
would win so I would count it.

:)

Incognito

Apr 6, 2008, 8:00:06 PM4/6/08
to Android Challenge
Not bad. Good luck!

tberthel

Apr 6, 2008, 9:27:12 PM4/6/08
to Android Challenge
Good Luck to you to

shiya...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2008, 4:28:21 AM4/7/08
to Android Challenge
I started my project 3 months ago which seems a little late. But when
I made decision to attend android challenge, I quited my job. Then I
worked for my application in full time --- about 8 hours every day (on
average). So I spent 600+ hours for my application. I never code in
java or use eclipse before I knew android, so getting familiar with
them cost me maybe 200 hours. Sometimes I coded over 16 hours one day
and didn't leave home for a whole week. I never worked so hard and
felt so excited about one thing as what I did on android. Now my
project is finished and submitted. Though I have some kind of
confidence, I am not sure whether I can enter the second round or not.
I don't count on good luck, just a fair judge on my application is
enough.

Paul Marrington

Apr 7, 2008, 6:37:55 AM4/7/08
to Android Challenge
I didn't read about the Android challenge until mid-January. Before
that I had spent about 400 hours on design and the business logic of
the original design for J2ME. Since then I have put in about another
300 hours specific to Android. Fortunately little lost coding as I had
good separation of device dependent code.

On Apr 7, 6:28 pm, "shiyansu...@gmail.com" <shiyansu...@gmail.com>
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

John P.

Apr 7, 2008, 10:31:07 AM4/7/08
to Android Challenge
Wow, 5 entries, very impressive Dan.

Do you know if the 50 winning slot is per person, or per project? If
it's per project and all 5 of your projects win, then $125,000 for
you!

Muthuselvam Ramadoss

Apr 7, 2008, 10:49:12 AM4/7/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Its per project. You can submit any number of projects you want.
--
take care,
Muthu Ramadoss.

http://mobeegal.in - find stuff closer.

YA

Apr 7, 2008, 11:36:22 AM4/7/08
to Android Challenge
About $5000.

acopernicus

Apr 7, 2008, 12:21:38 PM4/7/08
to Android Challenge
I would echo tberthel sentiments. I programmed in Java for many years
but switched into the marketing & business side for the past 5+ years.

With the potential of a Java-based mobile operating system with
combined the open perspective of Google, I took some time off from
work to explore the OS's potential by catching up on the current state
of Java and learn more about mobile development.

The mobile dev part was hard and coding is Java is MUCH easier (with
Eclipse and all the open source APIs) than when I last programmed back
in 2002. I've had to build out both a server-side & mobile component
along with partnering with a few people to "lend" me some of their
content for the Challenge.

We'll be providing a video about Pocket Journey in the next couple
days to show what we've been working on. The "pre-SDK redesign"
website offers some clues here.

I would estimate this amount of time as it's just me working on the
project...with a little helpful support from my partner (who's on the
video).

3 months
8 hours per day (though often more)
30 days per month
-----------------------------
~750 hours

Best of luck to everyone,
Anthony

Dan U.

Apr 7, 2008, 3:18:11 PM4/7/08
to Android Challenge
I could only hope all 5 win, but I know at least one won't. Much too
simple and probably too much competition. One I have high hopes for,
but who knows. The others are sorta in-between.

SatishG-mail

Apr 7, 2008, 4:32:56 PM4/7/08
to Android Challenge
I started on my project in Feb. I was busy till then.

I estimate total hours around : 400 hours

- Sat

Dan Morrill

Apr 7, 2008, 9:40:10 PM4/7/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Wow, this is awesome, everyone!  We're thrilled that you all have spent such a large amount of time on your applications.

Best of luck in the judging!

- Dan

Dan U.

Apr 7, 2008, 10:10:37 PM4/7/08
to Android Challenge
It's good that people are spending a lot of time, but there are going
to be a lot of disappointed people as a result. 3-400 hours and not
winning anything will definitely suck but I guess you won't win
anything if you don't give it a shot. It would be nice to have an
honorable mention category though.

On Apr 7, 6:40 pm, "Dan Morrill" <morri...@google.com> wrote:
> Wow, this is awesome, everyone! We're thrilled that you all have spent such
> a large amount of time on your applications.
> Best of luck in the judging!
>
> - Dan

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 8, 2008, 12:10:27 AM4/8/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I hope people take their applications forward and realize their dreams
even if they don't win the challenge. Winning the challenge would be
nice, but its not the end of the world.

--
Thanks.

Muthu Ramadoss
http://mobeegal.in http://androidrocks.in http://intellibitz.com
http://twitter.com/intellibitz http://linkedin.com/in/tellibitz
http://slideshare.net/intellibitz
http://groups.google.com/group/android-chennai
+91 44 22476750

We develop innovative search solutions using LBS for Android.

Dan U.

Apr 8, 2008, 12:46:28 AM4/8/08
to Android Challenge
I agree, but it seems such a daunting task to do that. Especially if
you aren't in the right financial position.
> Muthu Ramadosshttp://mobeegal.inhttp://androidrocks.inhttp://intellibitz.comhttp://twitter.com/intellibitzhttp://linkedin.com/in/tellibitzhttp://slideshare.net/intellibitzhttp://groups.google.com/group/android-chennai

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 8, 2008, 1:19:22 AM4/8/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Agree, its a daunting task. Having fun and taking it easy might help ;)

Dan U. wrote:
> I agree, but it seems such a daunting task to do that. Especially if
> you aren't in the right financial position.
>
> On Apr 7, 9:10 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I hope people take their applications forward and realize their dreams
>> even if they don't win the challenge. Winning the challenge would be
>> nice, but its not the end of the world.

--
Thanks.

Incognito

Apr 8, 2008, 2:18:00 AM4/8/08
to Android Challenge

I guess that doing it even if it is hard is the challenge. Else
anybody would be rich. :)
Having fun will of course make all the difference as previously
mentioned. Right now I'm quite fed up though and will be really happy
once I submit my applicaitons. \o/

On Apr 8, 1:19 am, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Agree, its a daunting task. Having fun and taking it easy might help ;)
>
> Dan U. wrote:
> > I agree, but it seems such a daunting task to do that. Especially if
> > you aren't in the right financial position.
>
> > On Apr 7, 9:10 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I hope people take their applications forward and realize their dreams
> >> even if they don't win the challenge. Winning the challenge would be
> >> nice, but its not the end of the world.
>
> --
> Thanks.
>
> Muthu Ramadosshttp://mobeegal.inhttp://androidrocks.inhttp://intellibitz.comhttp://twitter.com/intellibitzhttp://linkedin.com/in/tellibitzhttp://slideshare.net/intellibitzhttp://groups.google.com/group/android-chennai

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 8, 2008, 2:24:44 AM4/8/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Dan U.

Apr 8, 2008, 3:04:36 AM4/8/08
to Android Challenge
I've been ready for a break for a couple months. Thankfully I got done
with my submissions a couple weeks ago.

On Apr 7, 11:24 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> me too, ready for a break. time to have some fun!
>

> Incognito wrote:
> > I guess that doing it even if it is hard is the challenge. Else
> > anybody would be rich. :)
> > Having fun will of course make all the difference as previously
> > mentioned. Right now I'm quite fed up though and will be really happy
> > once I submit my applicaitons. \o/
>
> > On Apr 8, 1:19 am, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Agree, its a daunting task. Having fun and taking it easy might help ;)

> >> --
> >> Thanks.
>
> >> Muthu Ramadosshttp://mobeegal.inhttp://androidrocks.inhttp://intellibitz.comhttp://...

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 8, 2008, 3:07:17 AM4/8/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

You lucky... ;)

Dan U. wrote:
> I've been ready for a break for a couple months. Thankfully I got done
> with my submissions a couple weeks ago.
>
> On Apr 7, 11:24 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> me too, ready for a break. time to have some fun!
>>

>> Incognito wrote:
>>
>>> I guess that doing it even if it is hard is the challenge. Else
>>> anybody would be rich. :)
>>> Having fun will of course make all the difference as previously
>>> mentioned. Right now I'm quite fed up though and will be really happy
>>> once I submit my applicaitons. \o/

--
Thanks.

Hielko

Apr 8, 2008, 7:58:24 AM4/8/08
to Android Challenge
+/- 1000 hours (2 man team)

On Apr 8, 9:07 am, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dan,
>
> You lucky... ;)
>

> Dan U. wrote:
> > I've been ready for a break for a couple months. Thankfully I got done
> > with my submissions a couple weeks ago.
>
> > On Apr 7, 11:24 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> me too, ready for a break. time to have some fun!

> --
> Thanks.
>
> Muthu Ramadosshttp://mobeegal.inhttp://androidrocks.inhttp://intellibitz.comhttp://twitter.com/intellibitzhttp://linkedin.com/in/tellibitzhttp://slideshare.net/intellibitzhttp://groups.google.com/group/android-chennai
> +91 44 22476750
>
> We develop innovative search solutions using LBS for Android.- Hide quoted text -

Pedro Kayatt

Apr 8, 2008, 8:21:14 AM4/8/08
to Android Challenge
3 months = 60 days * 8 hours per day =~ 500 hrs * 3 guys (team) =
1500hrs :D in just one project! But a client-server game...

On Apr 8, 8:58 am, Hielko <hie...@tweakers.net> wrote:
> +/- 1000 hours (2 man team)
>
> On Apr 8, 9:07 am, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dan,
>
> > You lucky... ;)
>
> > Dan U. wrote:
> > > I've been ready for a break for a couple months. Thankfully I got done
> > > with my submissions a couple weeks ago.

> > --
> > Thanks.
>
> > Muthu Ramadosshttp://mobeegal.inhttp://androidrocks.inhttp://intellibitz.comhttp://...

patric...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2008, 12:40:02 PM4/8/08
to Android Challenge
On average about 300-400 hours. Great learning experience. Got help
from the group when I needed it the most.
Omar Flores.

On Apr 8, 7:58 am, Hielko <hie...@tweakers.net> wrote:
> +/- 1000 hours (2 man team)
>
> On Apr 8, 9:07 am, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dan,
>
> > You lucky... ;)
>
> > Dan U. wrote:
> > > I've been ready for a break for a couple months. Thankfully I got done
> > > with my submissions a couple weeks ago.

> > --
> > Thanks.
>
> > Muthu Ramadosshttp://mobeegal.inhttp://androidrocks.inhttp://intellibitz.comhttp://...

Paul Marrington

Apr 10, 2008, 6:04:57 AM4/10/08
to Android Challenge
No, it's not the end of the world. I hope you are right but many who
don't win the challenge won't continue because the continued
investment is for a device that won't be available for some time.
> Muthu Ramadosshttp://mobeegal.inhttp://androidrocks.inhttp://intellibitz.comhttp://twitter.com/intellibitzhttp://linkedin.com/in/tellibitzhttp://slideshare.net/intellibitzhttp://groups.google.com/group/android-chennai

Paul Marrington

Apr 10, 2008, 6:10:06 AM4/10/08
to Android Challenge
I am having fun. I haven't had to develop like this since pre-
internet. The feeling of discovery, etc. While I am looking forward to
having some r&r, there is still so much to do. Google App Engine is
equally exciting and as my application is client/server it is also the
perfect partner to my Android application.

On Apr 8, 4:24 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> me too, ready for a break. time to have some fun!
>
> Incognito wrote:
> > I guess that doing it even if it is hard is the challenge. Else
> > anybody would be rich. :)
> > Having fun will of course make all the difference as previously
> > mentioned. Right now I'm quite fed up though and will be really happy
> > once I submit my applicaitons. \o/
>
> > On Apr 8, 1:19 am, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Agree, its a daunting task. Having fun and taking it easy might help ;)

> >> --
> >> Thanks.
>
> >> Muthu Ramadosshttp://mobeegal.inhttp://androidrocks.inhttp://intellibitz.comhttp://...

Wesley

Apr 10, 2008, 6:15:38 AM4/10/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
is true...
I notice less people from Asia country is doing this... of course, if selected... I might think of something to attract developer at my places/my country...

"if my games not selected... will I continue???"
God Knows...

"How many hours I spent???"
Timesssss... a lot... a lot of times + cost I spend... until I tired... want to take a break for this moments...

I develop games for this... a numbersssss of games...

"What games???"
God Knows...

Wesley Sagittarius.

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 10, 2008, 7:22:56 AM4/10/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

You know you rock when you make your..

Google Android Client running on Google App Engine.

If that doesn't impress Google folks, then I'm not sure what will.

Rock on!

Paul Marrington wrote:
> I am having fun. I haven't had to develop like this since pre-
> internet. The feeling of discovery, etc. While I am looking forward to
> having some r&r, there is still so much to do. Google App Engine is
> equally exciting and as my application is client/server it is also the
> perfect partner to my Android application.
>
> On Apr 8, 4:24 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> me too, ready for a break. time to have some fun!
>>
>> Incognito wrote:
>>
>>> I guess that doing it even if it is hard is the challenge. Else
>>> anybody would be rich. :)
>>> Having fun will of course make all the difference as previously
>>> mentioned. Right now I'm quite fed up though and will be really happy
>>> once I submit my applicaitons. \o/

--
Thanks.

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 10, 2008, 7:25:00 AM4/10/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Agree, that people might not be motivated enough to continue unless they
have a strong reason to do so. We are doing a mobile search engine, and
yes we'll be marching on.

Paul Marrington wrote:
> No, it's not the end of the world. I hope you are right but many who
> don't win the challenge won't continue because the continued
> investment is for a device that won't be available for some time.
>
> On Apr 8, 2:10 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I hope people take their applications forward and realize their dreams
>> even if they don't win the challenge. Winning the challenge would be
>> nice, but its not the end of the world.

--
Thanks.

xtrawurst

Apr 10, 2008, 7:32:28 AM4/10/08
to Android Challenge
~1500h since December. Two-man-team.
We experimented a lot and Android didn't always make things easy for
us. But I think we have created something really cool.
App is to be announced officially and submitted within the next days.
Watch out! :)

On Apr 10, 12:15 pm, Wesley <sit06...@gmail.com> wrote:
> is true...
> I notice less people from Asia country is doing this... of course, if
> selected... I might think of something to attract developer at my places/my
> country...
>
> "if my games not selected... will I continue???"
> God Knows...
>
> "How many hours I spent???"
> Timesssss... a lot... a lot of times + cost I spend... until I tired... want
> to take a break for this moments...
>
> I develop games for this... a numbersssss of games...
>
> "What games???"
> God Knows...
>
> Wesley Sagittarius.
>
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Paul Marrington <
>
> > twitter.com/intellibitzhttp://linkedin.com/in/tellibitzhttp://slideshare.net/intellibitzhttp...

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 10, 2008, 7:27:03 AM4/10/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
watching...

--
Thanks.

Apr 15, 2008, 8:06:26 PM4/15/08
to Android Challenge
For those of you who spent 1000+ hours on your entries. I am guessing
that you are coding Android as part of your regular job? That's very
nice.

On Apr 10, 4:27 am, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> watching...
>

> xtrawurst wrote:
> > ~1500h since December. Two-man-team.
> > We experimented a lot and Android didn't always make things easy for
> > us. But I think we have created something really cool.
> > App is to be announced officially and submitted within the next days.
> > Watch out! :)
>
> > On Apr 10, 12:15 pm, Wesley <sit06...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> is true...
> >> I notice less people from Asia country is doing this... of course, if
> >> selected... I might think of something to attract developer at my places/my
> >> country...
>
> >> "if my games not selected... will I continue???"
> >> God Knows...
>
> >> "How manyhoursI spent???"
> >> Timesssss... a lot... a lot of times + cost I spend... until I tired... want
> >> to take a break for this moments...
>
> >> I develop games for this... a numbersssss of games...
>
> >> "What games???"
> >> God Knows...
>
> >> Wesley Sagittarius.
>
> --
> Thanks.
>
> Muthu Ramadosshttp://mobeegal.inhttp://androidrocks.inhttp://intellibitz.comhttp://twitter.com/intellibitzhttp://linkedin.com/in/tellibitzhttp://slideshare.net/intellibitzhttp://groups.google.com/group/android-chennai

GodsMoon

Apr 15, 2008, 8:26:47 PM4/15/08
to Android Challenge
And thus the question "is my app good enough to be my regular job?" I
guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

I spend about +350 hours on my app.

www.goldfishview.com
> > Muthu Ramadosshttp://mobeegal.inhttp://androidrocks.inhttp://intellibitz.comhttp://...

luke

Apr 15, 2008, 11:31:02 PM4/15/08
to Android Challenge
I spent 300h on my project just in the last 3 weeks :o)

This raises an important point though: despite how well-engineered
Android is, in many cases it is over-engineered, and/or development
features are just not there yet, and/or the interfaces are too low-
level, and/or there are bugs that limit productivity (even in crucial
parts like Dalvik, or the Eclipse plugin). Many things have been far,
far harder to do than I would have liked, and the platform doesn't --
yet -- lend itself to fast-turnaround development: there is no hot
code replace, launching apps takes a long time, running in the
debugger causes the code to run at half the speed, etc.

I am hoping for three main things in Android's near future:
(1) nicer, higher-level abstractions built on top of the current
Android stack. (e.g. I built something to make it trivially easy to
build complex databases on top of the ContentProvider framework,
because the current framework makes the code start getting really
repetitive and messy once a single ContentProvider serves multiple
databases and/or tables)
(2) a port of Android that runs on your native desktop as a local app,
not in an emulator, and runs on the JVM *not* Dalvik (unless someone
ports Dalvik to x86, which would be more work). This is so that
things run several times faster than they currently do inside the
emulator, speeding up development time. I would say that at least a
quarter of the 300h in the last 3 weeks was spent waiting for
something to happen, because I had to do lots of tweaking and
exploratory development.
(3) hot code replace for Dalvik (not needed if point (2) is satisfied,
it's already there in Eclipse)

John

Apr 16, 2008, 12:10:00 AM4/16/08
to Android Challenge
I spent most of my nights and weekends working on my project the 1st
week the SDK came out. I was working with a 3 man team, so we had a
lot of time put into together. All of us have day jobs so that cut
back some on the time we could spend on it. We probably all spent a
combined 1000+ hours on it. But we had to do a website, and a server,
since it is a client-server game.