Five days of Challenge

1 view

Globetrotter

Apr 26, 2008, 7:40:30 AM4/26/08
to Android Challenge
Five days of Challenge.

No hit/logs in server. No communication of judges/Google reporting
problems. Is this normal?

My team is very much discouraged. We could be disqualified for some
reason...

efon...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2008, 10:46:00 AM4/26/08
to Android Challenge
I think it is normal to have no communication in that is a fair way to
judge. 1700 is a lot of testing.

I'm used to using Pugh's process for concept selection, where each
entry is compared against a datum, then after all have been judged as
either better or worse than the datum in the areas of interest, the
strongest entry becomes the datum. Repeat.

Whatever process they are using and whatever areas of interest they
have defined, it will take a while. I expect our entry overlaps an
area where they or one of their partners have already invested
heavily, perhaps your's does, too. If it does, it may be more
thoroughly evaluated toward the end as an influencer that illustrates
feature that would be lost in the depth of the invested tool.

Anyway, don't expect communication, and there are lots ways they can
make our efforts support the platform launch.

Incognito

Apr 26, 2008, 2:31:02 PM4/26/08
to Android Challenge
Odds are that YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED, (evil laughter follows)
hahahahahahah.

Sorry, just kidding! >:{) Currently too much time on my hand.

Dan Morrill

Apr 26, 2008, 4:36:00 PM4/26/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I checked our current statistics, and there is nothing to worry about.  No judges have accessed the application yet;  each judge has a list of some 75 applications to evaluate, and by random chance your entry simply ended up at the bottom of your judges' lists.

- Dan

ian

Apr 26, 2008, 5:32:14 PM4/26/08
to Android Challenge
Hello, Dan M

Our location based application connects to the server every a few
seconds by default. We recorded only one hit one day ago, but seems
the app was not allowed to go further (we did not have any more
records after the first one). I'm a little concerned if the app is
fully tested before any conclusion is made. Any comment from you,
Dan? (we've put hundreds of hours on the development of the apps and
really hope and appreciate they can be judged as completely as
possible).

tberthel

Apr 26, 2008, 7:01:48 PM4/26/08
to Android Challenge
While your checking out the current stats can you give mine a perfect
score. I would be your best friend. :)

On Apr 26, 3:36 pm, "Dan Morrill" <morri...@google.com> wrote:
> I checked our current statistics, and there is nothing to worry about. No
> judges have accessed the application yet; each judge has a list of some 75
> applications to evaluate, and by random chance your entry simply ended up at
> the bottom of your judges' lists.
> - Dan

Cow Bay

Apr 26, 2008, 8:17:11 PM4/26/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
you can be disqualified by the msg >:-{)

tberthel

Apr 26, 2008, 9:26:13 PM4/26/08
to Android Challenge
They can do that to anyone they want it's their contest. I think
anyone thinking it is anything other than humor is nutz.

Lucky for me my Game Library can push Android harder than probably any
other submission. So I don't think they would do that if they want to
sell more adverts.

Kevin

Apr 26, 2008, 4:46:31 PM4/26/08
to Android Challenge
Two things.

First, I've sent a couple messages to this group, but don't see any of
them. Maybe my user isn't set up right? Seemed to work in the
developers group, and I think I joined this one correctly.

Second. I've seen two different people access my application, but
neither one really seemed to do that much on the application. Neither
finished the user setup portion. One seems to have clicked around a
bit. The other looks like he got to the first part of user setup,
then stopped completely. There is obviously no feedback from the
person directly, but I kind of feel like they're not really
"evaluating" the application. Are there any sort of guidelines as far
as that is concerned? The application is not overly complication, and
I have a test user set up for them if they aren't feeling the whole
user setup thing (neither has tried the test user).

Thanks in advance.

On Apr 26, 4:36 pm, "Dan Morrill" <morri...@google.com> wrote:
> I checked our current statistics, and there is nothing to worry about. No
> judges have accessed the application yet; each judge has a list of some 75
> applications to evaluate, and by random chance your entry simply ended up at
> the bottom of your judges' lists.
> - Dan

Dan Morrill

Apr 26, 2008, 11:47:37 PM4/26/08
On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Kevin <kgal...@gmail.com> wrote:
First, I've sent a couple messages to this group, but don't see any of
them.

To help try to reduce spam, we've recently turned on moderation for new Group members.  (Most spammers sign up, send a spam or two, and then move on, so this moderates their first few messages.)  Unfortunately this is also an inconvenience for legitimate users.  We apologize for that but hope everyone agrees that it's an improvement.

Second.  I've seen two different people access my application, but
neither one really seemed to do that much on the application.  Neither
finished the user setup portion.  One seems to have clicked around a
bit.

Your application currently has only one review recorded.  I can't discuss specific scores, unfortunately.

It's worth noting that there have been and may continue to be random "spot checks" that are not reviews by judges, but part of routine testing of our procedures and tools.  The abortive hits you described sound like those spot checks.

- Dan

Kevin Galligan

Apr 26, 2008, 11:53:29 PM4/26/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Good deal. Thanks for the info.

In regards to the moderation and spamming, that makes sense. I just
sent a message about that, as it was pretty obvious I was recently
turned "on". I would only suggest some message show up if you're
being moderated. It sort of feels like the forum isn't working. You
know?

Thanks for the update on reviews. Glad there's been only one, because
that first one really didn't do anything. I'm prepared to lose hard.
I just want somebody to actually look at it ;)

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 27, 2008, 4:45:38 AM4/27/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Globetrotter,

Cheer up, now that you got clarification. Get your team back into action now. If you have a team working on Android applications, I would suggest marching on irrespective of the results. I personally believe it takes a couple of iterations before the product hits that sweet spot.
--
take care,
Muthu Ramadoss.

http://mobeegal.in
find stuff closer.

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 27, 2008, 4:46:48 AM4/27/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Travis,

Your confidence is amazing. Rock on!

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 27, 2008, 4:47:44 AM4/27/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
No way!

Dan is not a judge, and we are free to influence him however we want.

Globetrotter

Apr 27, 2008, 4:53:33 AM4/27/08
to Android Challenge
Hi,

we do not work to win the challenge.it is almost impossible. to work
for improve. that is the goal.

Thanks all

On 27 abr, 10:45, "Muthu Ramadoss" <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Globetrotter,
>
> Cheer up, now that you got clarification. Get your team back into action
> now. If you have a team working on Android applications, I would suggest
> marching on irrespective of the results. I personally believe it takes a
> couple of iterations before the product hits that sweet spot.
>

> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 2:06 AM, Dan Morrill <morri...@google.com> wrote:
> > I checked our current statistics, and there is nothing to worry about. No
> > judges have accessed the application yet; each judge has a list of some 75
> > applications to evaluate, and by random chance your entry simply ended up at
> > the bottom of your judges' lists.
> > - Dan

Alex Pisarev

Apr 27, 2008, 7:03:17 AM4/27/08
to Android Challenge
Hi Dan, what about ours? Commandro.net project! It looks like it
hasn't been accessed by any judges so far and I am worried whether we
were disqualified or not...

Gilberto

Apr 27, 2008, 1:52:18 PM4/27/08
to Android Challenge
Hi Dan!
It looks like our Anagog submission was not run by any judge (no
activity on the server). May 5'th is approaching and our team is
getting worried.. after all that effort...

On Apr 26, 10:36 pm, "Dan Morrill" <morri...@google.com> wrote:
> I checked our current statistics, and there is nothing to worry about. No
> judges have accessed the application yet; each judge has a list of some 75
> applications to evaluate, and by random chance your entry simply ended up at
> the bottom of your judges' lists.
> - Dan

Shamim

Apr 28, 2008, 1:42:08 AM4/28/08
to Android Challenge
Hi Dan,
I have two questions:
1. My application is based on m3-rc37a SDK , will judge having
appropriate SDK before testing the application?
2. Yet I didn't receive any hit or clue of my judging my application ,
I am afraid whether My application facing any problem of running on
the emulator or corrupted at the time of submition?

eugenk

Apr 28, 2008, 2:04:43 AM4/28/08
to Android Challenge
Hi Dan ! I want to ask you first of all, when 50 winers will be
known ? It assumed earlier that it happens 5 of May. But too many
applications was submitted. Is 5 of May remains in force, or it put
off to later time ? At second. Will winners and their applications
list be published on Android site or some discussion group ?
Regards
Eugene

YA

Apr 28, 2008, 6:36:27 AM4/28/08
to Android Challenge
Guys! Cut bugging Dan will ya? Most judges will use the apps a few
days or hours before the deadline on which they have to submit their
reviews, or I do not know the way contest judging process always comes
out. I have seen tenders and contests with far greater money at stake
and always always always judges had other more pressing business to
attended until time pressure rose above a critical level.

Do not worry, you will all get you hits after May 2 or 3 in a wave.

YA