Parallel connections from application server

Eric Fung

Sep 2, 2010, 1:35:49 PM9/2/10
to android-c2dm
Does anyone know if Google permits multiple, parallel connections to
be made from your application server to the Google C2DM server? That
is, if I have a lot of devices to send to, can I make three or four
requests in parallel?

It appears that you can only send one message to one device per call
to https://android.apis.google.com/c2dm/send. As a point of
comparison, Apple's push notification service allows multiple,
parallel connections to https://gateway.push.apple.com, as well as
allowing multiple messages to be sent to multiple devices as long as
the SSL connection is established.

Just wondering whether something similar is available or allowed with
Google's C2DM service.

Costin Manolache

Sep 2, 2010, 2:17:34 PM9/2/10
to androi...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Eric Fung <ef...@acm.org> wrote:
Does anyone know if Google permits multiple, parallel connections to
be made from your application server to the Google C2DM server? That
is, if I have a lot of devices to send to, can I make three or four
requests in parallel?

Yes.

It appears that you can only send one message to one device per call
to https://android.apis.google.com/c2dm/send. As a point of
comparison, Apple's push notification service allows multiple,
parallel connections to https://gateway.push.apple.com, as well as
allowing multiple messages to be sent to multiple devices as long as
the SSL connection is established.

Just wondering whether something similar is available or allowed with
Google's C2DM service.

Make sure you reuse the Http(s) connection, must clients will do this automatically.

We don't support batch sending at the moment.

Costin