C2DM extremely slow

Eurig Jones

Sep 9, 2011, 5:41:18 AM9/9/11
to android-c2dm
My app is currently experiencing C2DM message times between 3 seconds
to 10 minutes. My app relies on C2DM heavily and this ruining the user
experience!

The speed used to be far lower and consistently less than 10 seconds.
Now, I very rarely see anything below 2 or 3 minutes during testing
which is very worrying.

bISHOP

Sep 9, 2011, 7:24:59 PM9/9/11
to android-c2dm
If it relies heavily, could it be any Google limit? Have you increased
the number of devices with the app installed? Have you increased the
number of messages per hour, for instance? I had similar symptoms with
batch calls to Google Maps once.

NiroApps

Sep 11, 2011, 11:35:16 PM9/11/11
to android-c2dm
I actually have had the same problem as well. This seems to have been
discussed quite a few times in this group but there doesn't really
seem to be any solutions offered. I have an app in beta and so far one
of my users have reported having to wait over 15 minutes and still not
seeing anything (app sends a C2DM for the phone to report its status
to the app server). They did say however after refreshing the page (on
my application server to get phone status) they were able to see the
results right away. I saw no errors in the logs that log the response
from C2DM. I currently suggest to my users to refresh the page (so it
sends out another request to C2DM) or if that doesn't work to manually
unregister, force stop the app via manage applications and then re-
register.

So just wondering if anyone here has some Pro tips on how to cut down
the wait time? I typically never see these types of delays with other
Google products (like GMail, Calendar) who Google claims also uses
C2DM.

Eurig Jones

Sep 12, 2011, 7:24:08 AM9/12/11
to android-c2dm
I have confirmation via email from google that my C2DM quota is ok so
it can't be my quota.

As far as tips to cut down the wait time NiroApps, I can't give you
any because I don't know what the bottleneck is. You would naturally
assume Google would put google products higher up in the C2DM priority
messaging list, so no you don't notice this types of issues with Gmail
etc.