Client registration id unicity

Patrick Mezard

Dec 8, 2010, 6:28:31 AM12/8/10
to android-c2dm
Hello,

Are there unicity constraints on client registration identifiers ? Are
they unique per:
- client account ?
- client device ?
- client device and account ?

One thing I am looking for is whether one registration identifier
could be bound to more than one device per client.

--
Patrick Mézard

Costin Manolache

Dec 8, 2010, 1:05:33 PM12/8/10
to androi...@googlegroups.com
The registration id encodes the device ID, sender ID, app id and few other things.

Costin

--
Patrick Mézard

Patrick Mezard

Dec 8, 2010, 1:17:58 PM12/8/10
to android-c2dm

On 8 déc, 19:05, Costin Manolache <cos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Patrick Mezard <pmez...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > Are there unicity constraints on client registration identifiers ? Are
> > they unique per:
> > - client account ?
> > - client device ?
> > - client device and account ?
>
> > One thing I am looking for is whether one registration identifier
> > could be bound to more than one device per client.
>
> The registration id encodes the device ID, sender ID, app id and few other
> things.

Good.

I suppose the device id is the ANDROID_ID. Taking this bug in account:
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=10639

Is there any risk of registration id collision for a user owning two
buggy devices with the same ANDROID_ID? Or are the "few other things"
good enough to avoid that?

--
Patrick Mézard

Costin Manolache

Dec 8, 2010, 1:28:32 PM12/8/10
to androi...@googlegroups.com
The timestamp would do that, it's one of the 'few other things'.

2 devices with same android id may cause all kind of other problems,
and if the android id changes (factory reset, etc ) the messages will
stop working.

Costin

--
Patrick Mézard