ARMv6 support on ICS

Anton H.

Nov 22, 2011, 1:48:22 PM11/22/11
to Android Building
There is currently again issues building ICS for ARMv6, I have come
this far to manage to get the armv6-vfp to be recognized and it starts
building up to the point of the dalvikvm.
The current issue is that in dalvik/vm/ the armv6 folders are
partially there and partially missing. I have managed to add these
from the previous Gingerbread but fail to edit them the right way
(especially in dalvik/vm/mterp).
Is there anybody who already made it work? It's really frustrating as
the armv6 is capable of using v8 JS Engine and is stuck with the v5te
code for now (which seems to work ok but is slower).

Is there any chance of getting armv6 back to ics? Or if somebody
already did could you point me to your source in order to get there as
well.

Thanks in advance.
Anton

Mathew Says IdareYou

Nov 22, 2011, 2:03:22 PM11/22/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I get a segmentation fault with one of the .apk packages in framework-res.
It seems that the files weren't made.
However, it seems possible to use ARMv5TE-VFP instead of ARMv6-VFP, right?

> --

Mathew

Anton H.

Nov 22, 2011, 2:16:17 PM11/22/11
to Android Building
I am wondering how you even got this far to get the apk compiled with
armv6 (if you have compiled against armv7 then the segmentation fault
is obvious) yes you should be able to compile against armv5te.
For me the building unfortunately stops right here:

ut/target/product/mimmi/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libjs_intermediates/
Source/JavaScriptCore/jit/ThunkGenerators.o] Error 1
/tmp/ccwLEDn7.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccwLEDn7.s:25: Error: selected processor does not support `stmdb
sp!,{r1-r3}'
/tmp/ccwLEDn7.s:26: Error: selected processor does not support `stmdb
sp!,{r4-r8,lr}'
/tmp/ccwLEDn7.s:33: Error: lo register required -- `ldmia sp!,{r4-
r8,lr}'
/tmp/ccwLEDn7.s:46: Error: lo register required -- `ldmia sp!,{r4-
r8,lr}'
/tmp/ccwLEDn7.s:52: Error: lo register required -- `str lr,[sp,#64]'
/tmp/ccwLEDn7.s:54: Error: lo register required -- `ldr lr,[sp,#64]'

and so on...

On 22 Nov., 20:03, Mathew Says IdareYou <iamthegodk...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I get a segmentation fault with one of the .apk packages in framework-res.
> It seems that the files weren't made.
> However, it seems possible to use ARMv5TE-VFP instead of ARMv6-VFP, right?

WillingMagic

Nov 22, 2011, 5:29:16 PM11/22/11
to Android Building
As temporary fix try add to BoardConfig.mk:
WITH_JIT := false
ENABLE_JSC_JIT := false

Mathew Says IdareYou

Nov 27, 2011, 12:15:53 AM11/27/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I think I just realised that the segmentation fault has something to do with my 4 measely gigabytes of RAM .

bigsupersquid

Nov 28, 2011, 4:56:59 PM11/28/11
to Android Building

On Nov 26, 11:15 pm, Mathew Says IdareYou <iamthegodk...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think I just realised that the segmentation fault has something to do
> with my 4 measely gigabytes of RAM .
>

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 6:29 AM, WillingMagic <willingma...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > As temporary fix try  add to BoardConfig.mk:
> > WITH_JIT := false
> > ENABLE_JSC_JIT := false
>
> > --

to chip in:
before android 2.3.7, make PRODUCT-generic-eng would produce armv5
binaries on my system.
I could make the generic product and boot it on my device with a
cyanogen gingerbread boot.img.
now it defaults to armv7, but PRODUCT-generic_armv5-eng still produces
armv5 binaries.
I built GB on a desktop with 512MB of RAM (took forever but did work.)
I can build ICS on my laptop with 2GB of RAM and it doesn't crash
during the build. It just eats my hard drive space. I think ubuntu
runs enough cruft in the background that useable RAM is not accurately
represented by what the computer has installed (I use a minimal debian
squeeze system, which isn't supported here)

Mathew Says IdareYou

Dec 2, 2011, 1:24:38 AM12/2/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
ICS defaults generic to ARMv7-a now. That's why I need to compile ARMv5TE-VFP as cooper-eng (Samsung Galaxy Ace) instead, otherwise I would usually just use generic for stuff like this.