Today's changes in AOSP

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Dec 2, 2011, 8:09:47 PM12/2/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I've pushed quite a few things in AOSP today:

-ITL41F, which matches the recent OTA to Galaxy Nexus, is tagged as
android-4.0.1_r1.2. It's really just a kernel change to add some
debounce on the hardware keys, so if you're targeting any other device
this is exactly the same build as ITL41D. For completeness, the ITF41F
hardware-related binaries and factory images for Galaxy Nexus are
available at their usual locations.

-I've removed some unused toolchains in the master branch, saving
almost 800MB of disk space.

-The GPL files for the recent HLK75F OTA are tagged as android-3.2.4_r1.

-Along with that, and differently from all previous Honeycomb GPL
drops, I've similarly tagged HLK75F as android-3.2.4_r1 in the non-GPL
frameworks/base and libcore projects. This is probably most
interesting for application developers who want to see at the source
code level how the core platform interfaces with applications, and
that should hopefully make development and debugging easier.

In nitty-gritty details, here's how to get just those files in an
empty directory without downloading the entire platform.

mkdir frameworks
cd frameworks
git clone https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base
cd base
git checkout android-3.2.4_r1
cd ../..
git clone https://android.googlesource.com/platform/libcore
cd libcore
git checkout android-3.2.4_r1
cd ../..

That's about a 675MB download, and 1.5GB of disk space (though you can
delete frameworks/base/.git and libcore/.git if you don't care about
the change history, and save 675MB of disk space).

Happy tinkering, happy developing!

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Liangyan Chen

Dec 5, 2011, 12:30:29 AM12/5/11
to Android Building
I've seen Binaries for Nexus S. (Orientation Sensor/Wifi, Bluetooth,
GPS/Graphics/NFC/CDMA, WiMAX)
But, why is Galaxy Nexus only having two of them? (Graphics, GSM)

Thanks in advance.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Dec 5, 2011, 10:43:46 AM12/5/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
At the technical level, nothing would prevent it. Check
device/samsung/maguro/self-extractors.

The issue is non-technical, as Google can't distribute such files
without having proper contractual authorization from the owners of
those files, and only 2 such contracts out of 7 have been signed so
far for Galaxy Nexus (whereas 5 out of 6 are now in place for Nexus
S).

JBQ

Fabio Rossi

Dec 7, 2011, 6:50:05 PM12/7/11
to Android Building
On Dec 5, 4:43 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> The issue is non-technical, as Google can't distribute such files
> without having proper contractual authorization from the owners of
> those files, and only 2 such contractsoutof 7 have been signed so
> far for Galaxy Nexus (whereas5outof6are now in place for Nexus
> S).

Which is the missing binary for Nexus S?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Dec 8, 2011, 11:07:02 AM12/8/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The missing one is from Cypress, and that's an improved firmware for
the touchscreen. In AOSP, we end up having to use the chip's built-in
firmware instead of the improved one, so touch detection isn't quite
as accurate.

JBQ

Fabio Rossi

Dec 8, 2011, 11:42:35 AM12/8/11
to Android Building
Ok, so basically building the AOSP with all the other 5 binaries gives
me almost the factory image currently installed on my Nexus S. The
only difference will be in the touch detection response but the
touchscreen should be more or less functional, won't it?

I hope that the last Cypress binary will be soon released to be able
to rebuild the factory image :-)

Thanks!

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Dec 8, 2011, 11:49:24 AM12/8/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Well, it's not quite the factory image (different apps), but it's
certainly built from the same source code and with the same
hardware-related proprietary binaries.

As far as I know there's no difference in functionality at the
touchscreen, the difference is really about the precision of the
calibration. I've been working with Cypress and Samsung for a very
long time on being able to distribute it. I haven't lost hope, but at
this point I'm counting in months and quarters, not in days and weeks.

JBQ

Fabio Rossi

Dec 8, 2011, 12:24:13 PM12/8/11
to Android Building
On Dec 8, 5:49 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:

> Well, it's not quite the factory image (different apps), but it's
> certainly built from the same source code and with the same
> hardware-related proprietary binaries.

Uuhm, I thought that the factory image on "Google-phones" was the bare
one coming from the sources. Is there a simple way to know which apps
are not present? I'll try to run the emulator but something is still
not working after having compiled the sources.

Thanks a lot!

Fabio

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Dec 8, 2011, 12:38:49 PM12/8/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The factory images on Nexus S indeed come straight from Google's
internal source tree, but AOSP is only a subset of that tree and
doesn't contain everything. Notably, all the proprietary Google apps
are missing (e.g. Market, Gmail). AOSP contains everything that's
necessary to build a compatible phone, though.

On the other hand, the factory images don't quite contain everything
that's in AOSP, e.g. they don't have all the wallpapers, all the
ringtones, all the input methods or all the languages and locales.

JBQ

Fabio Rossi

Dec 8, 2011, 12:50:28 PM12/8/11
to Android Building
Thanks for the clarification! Let's hope then that also the factory
images for the Nexus S will be releases sometime in the near
future :-)

Best,
Fabio

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Dec 8, 2011, 12:55:38 PM12/8/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
As you can probably imagine, there's no technical difficulty, the
hurdles are on the non-technical side.

JBQ