Building a cloned repository

Michael

Mar 30, 2011, 12:15:00 PM3/30/11
to Android Building
I know this is not the preferred way of working with the Android code
base, but I am doing this for other reasons, so please bare with me.

I have created a bare repository by cloning each one of the Git
repositories separately listed in the repo tool's manifest file. I
would now like to build the code on the "froyo-plus-aosp" branches, so
I wrote a script to checkout that branch in each one of the Git
repositories. I know not all of the repositories actually have that
branch in them, and if it's not found then it defaults to master, but
what should be the right default in the event that the branch does not
exist? The code, as it's checked out now ("froyo-plus-aosp" plus a
default of "master"), does not build and I understand why that is the
case, but the repo tool must be correcting for that. How would does
the repo tool handle this situation? The manifest seems to provide a
default, but what does it do when the default is not available?

I would appreciate any insight you can provide.

Thanks,
Michael

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 30, 2011, 12:24:19 PM3/30/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com, Michael
There's no such thing as "the" manifest: you need to start from the
manifest for froyo-plus-aosp.

Also, note that not all projects referenced by a manifest use the same
branch: notably, qemu and sdk tend to use different branches.

Ultimately, you're going to be replicating a good chunk of the logic
that's already in repo, so you might as well use repo.

Really, branches within individual projects are implementation details
that are actually quite opaque.

JBQ

> --

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Michael

Mar 30, 2011, 1:15:40 PM3/30/11
to Android Building
Thanks for the input, JB. I'm all for using repo, so is there a
preferred way to set up a "private" repo server, so that people within
a company can pull/push changes to that server without everyone
needing to pull from the public Android server? The idea is for our
company to host a "master" server that synchronizes with Google's main
servers, but all of our other development machines on the network pull/
push from that server.

Michael

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 30, 2011, 2:16:50 PM3/30/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
You'll get better expertise about that on the repo-discuss group - I
know that some people there do something similar.

JBQ