GPL source code for the 4.0 / r14 SDK

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 18, 2011, 11:07:52 PM10/18/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Here are the GPL source files that match the 4.0 / r14 SDK.

Like we did for all Honeycomb release, this is NOT the full source
tree for IceCreamSandwich, these are only the GPL parts that are in
the SDK (along with a few associated files), and they're not enough to
build the whole IceCreamSandwich for a device.

Kernel:
Size: 71MB
SHA-1: 805f7cb1e4fffd476f622cd5ba4f6555e939ed72
URI: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/gpl/android-gpl-kernel-sdk-4.0.1_r1.tgz

Platform:
Size: 96MB
SHA-1: 7cae9329e5a8992c0f02dac3809cf9633727e3f2
URI: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/gpl/android-gpl-platform-sdk-arm-4.0.1_r1.tgz

Dev Tools:
Size: 9MB
SHA-1: ca5f08897019a965d72991c9b1c536c9912915b5
URI: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/gpl/android-gpl-tools_r14.tgz

Extra:
Size: 22kB
SHA-1: 8cb8ef299e8d33835790ede8a68b5346aa9eefc0
URI: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/gpl/android-extra-4.0.1-r14.tgz

In order to build the Platform and Dev Tools, you need to start from a
source tree as it existed on android.git.kernel.org, remove the
existing versions of the GPL packages, extract the Dev Tools and
Platform packages, and also extract the Extra packages that contains a
few files necessary to complete the build.

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

teothx

Oct 19, 2011, 5:55:35 AM10/19/11
to Android Building
Hello,
when the full source tree will be release?

Thanks

On 19 Ott, 05:07, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Here are the GPL source files that match the 4.0 / r14 SDK.
>
> Like we did for all Honeycomb release, this is NOT the full source
> tree for IceCreamSandwich, these are only the GPL parts that are in
> the SDK (along with a few associated files), and they're not enough to
> build the whole IceCreamSandwich for a device.
>
> Kernel:
> Size: 71MB
> SHA-1: 805f7cb1e4fffd476f622cd5ba4f6555e939ed72
> URI:https://dl.google.com/dl/android/gpl/android-gpl-kernel-sdk-4.0.1_r1.tgz
>
> Platform:
> Size: 96MB
> SHA-1: 7cae9329e5a8992c0f02dac3809cf9633727e3f2
> URI:https://dl.google.com/dl/android/gpl/android-gpl-platform-sdk-arm-4.0...

Carlos Silva

Oct 19, 2011, 6:37:59 AM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I'm even afraid to ask this question:
"Will the full source of ICS be available?"

Not asking when, but if it will be.

Steev Klimaszewski

Oct 19, 2011, 2:35:30 AM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
> --

Is this a just for now thing, and the rest of it will be opened, or
will it be like Honeycomb where the parts that aren't GPL won't be
released?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 19, 2011, 9:41:34 AM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
At the moment I don't have anything to say on that subject.

JBQ

jakob

Oct 19, 2011, 9:51:55 AM10/19/11
to Android Building
The complete silence on this subject is really sending out the wrong
message to the millions (well, thousand at least) of developers who
has been waiting for source code since the previous major update. At
IO the message was clear that the complete source code _will_ be
released with ICS and now the message is just "no comment"?

At the moment Android has had a huge success and the adoption from
different vendors has been great. But everyone is now asking what is
the future of Android with the recent aquirement of Motorola Mobile.
Google really need to be 100% clear on that Android will remain open
(with source code availiable at release, at latest) otherwise will
many lose trust in Andorid (including me).

On Oct 19, 3:41 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> At the moment I don't have anything to say on that subject.
>
> JBQ
>
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:35 PM, Steev Klimaszewski
>

> <st...@genesi-usa.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> >> Here are the GPL source files that match the 4.0 / r14 SDK.
>
> >> Like we did for all Honeycomb release, this is NOT the full source
> >> tree for IceCreamSandwich, these are only the GPL parts that are in
> >> the SDK (along with a few associated files), and they're not enough to
> >> build the whole IceCreamSandwich for a device.
>
> >> Kernel:
> >> Size: 71MB
> >> SHA-1: 805f7cb1e4fffd476f622cd5ba4f6555e939ed72
> >> URI:https://dl.google.com/dl/android/gpl/android-gpl-kernel-sdk-4.0.1_r1.tgz
>
> >> Platform:
> >> Size: 96MB
> >> SHA-1: 7cae9329e5a8992c0f02dac3809cf9633727e3f2
> >> URI:https://dl.google.com/dl/android/gpl/android-gpl-platform-sdk-arm-4.0...

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 19, 2011, 10:20:59 AM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I'm an engineer. I deal with technical matters, and I talk about the
present. I don't take care of non-technical aspects, and I don't talk
about the future. And I'm trying my best to not be silent.

Can we now please get back on the topic at hand, i.e. the components
of the SDK whose source code was released? There are better locations
to have broad discussions that are off-topic here, e.g. the
android-platform group.

Thanks,
JBQ

Tim Liquia

Oct 19, 2011, 10:11:30 AM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

While you have several valid points, and I agree, you are barking up the wrong tree. These building groups have no "say so" or authority on such subject matter.

ATom

Oct 19, 2011, 11:02:38 AM10/19/11
to Android Building
I think, that most important for developers is source code of java
classes used in framework to allow debug code inside framework
classes, better understand some not well documented features. I'm Java
programmer mostly because all this is possible in Java world and I
think that in Android too. I don't waste time to try to debug black
box like Windows Phone or Apple.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 19, 2011, 11:28:26 AM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
There are at least 12 different categories of people that use AOSP,
all with different goals and needs. Balancing all of those categories
is hard, very hard, there's no way to reasonably satisfy all the needs
of any individual category without throwing everything off-balance,
and any decision is likely to dissatisfy multiple groups of people.
Android can't be successful without all those people being successful
in their specific domains.

About looking at implementation of apparently underdocumented
features: that's a dangerous approach, as you risk relying on fine
details that aren't documented and that could therefore change with no
notice and break your app.

Please, let's move such discussions to the appropriate mailing list,
i.e. android-platform. I don't want to have to ignore or reject posts,
but at the same time I don't want this list to go off-topic. This is a
working list, and any off-topic post here wastes the time of plenty of
people who are reading this list in order to get their job done.

Thanks,
JBQ

Peter Kelly

Oct 19, 2011, 1:22:52 PM10/19/11
to Android Building
Hi JBQ,

Is it possible to build the WebKit component included here with the
NDK? I wish to include a custom build of WebKit with by application so
I can diagnose and hopefully correct some performance bugs that are
affecting my app.

--
Peter Kelly
kell...@gmail.com

On Oct 19, 10:07 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Here are the GPL source files that match the 4.0 / r14 SDK.
>
> Like we did for all Honeycomb release, this is NOT the full source
> tree for IceCreamSandwich, these are only the GPL parts that are in
> the SDK (along with a few associated files), and they're not enough to
> build the whole IceCreamSandwich for a device.
>
> Kernel:
> Size: 71MB
> SHA-1: 805f7cb1e4fffd476f622cd5ba4f6555e939ed72
> URI:https://dl.google.com/dl/android/gpl/android-gpl-kernel-sdk-4.0.1_r1.tgz
>
> Platform:
> Size: 96MB
> SHA-1: 7cae9329e5a8992c0f02dac3809cf9633727e3f2
> URI:https://dl.google.com/dl/android/gpl/android-gpl-platform-sdk-arm-4.0...

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 19, 2011, 1:24:53 PM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, that's not possible. Webkit uses private APIs that
aren't exposed through the NDK, so it can only be built in the context
of the whole Android source tree. It'd be very nice, though.

JBQ

Peter Kelly

Oct 19, 2011, 1:34:13 PM10/19/11
to Android Building
Does that mean that in order to do this I'd have to maintain my own
port?

--
Peter Kelly
kell...@gmail.com

On Oct 20, 12:24 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, that's not possible. Webkit uses private APIs that
> aren't exposed through the NDK, so it can only be built in the context
> of the whole Android source tree. It'd be very nice, though.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Peter Kelly <kelly...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi JBQ,
>
> > Is it possible to build the WebKit component included here with the
> > NDK? I wish to include a custom build of WebKit with by application so
> > I can diagnose and hopefully correct some performance bugs that are
> > affecting my app.
>
> > --
> > Peter Kelly
> > kelly...@gmail.com

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 19, 2011, 2:24:05 PM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Essentially, yes. You'll need to write a proper layer between the NDK
and webkit if you want your result to be portable across multiple
devices. This is probably not for the faint of heart.

The preferred development process for webkit (and the only practical
one I'm aware of) is to build it as part of the whole platform, to run
the result and to add your app on top of it.

JBQ

Kenji Tan

Oct 20, 2011, 2:50:57 AM10/20/11
to Android Building
Hi Jean-Baptiste,

The kernel source appears to be 2.6.29. I presume it's for the
goldfish (emulator) kernel?

I look forward to the rest of the source. Thanks.

-Kenji

On Oct 18, 8:07 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Here are the GPL source files that match the 4.0 / r14 SDK.
>
> Like we did for all Honeycomb release, this is NOT the full source
> tree for IceCreamSandwich, these are only the GPL parts that are in
> the SDK (along with a few associated files), and they're not enough to
> build the whole IceCreamSandwich for a device.
>
> Kernel:
> Size: 71MB
> SHA-1: 805f7cb1e4fffd476f622cd5ba4f6555e939ed72
> URI:https://dl.google.com/dl/android/gpl/android-gpl-kernel-sdk-4.0.1_r1.tgz
>
> Platform:
> Size: 96MB
> SHA-1: 7cae9329e5a8992c0f02dac3809cf9633727e3f2
> URI:https://dl.google.com/dl/android/gpl/android-gpl-platform-sdk-arm-4.0...

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 20, 2011, 10:50:34 AM10/20/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
That's the emulator kernel indeed, which is the one that is used in
the SDK and that shipped earlier this week.

JBQ

Jeff

Oct 20, 2011, 1:15:51 PM10/20/11
to Android Building
No comment wasn't his exact statement. That makes it seem like he was
completely ignoring the point
The comment was, "We're working on it and we're making good progress,
but we're not ready to announce any additional details yet."
Which to me makes a world of difference.