Help us test patches to support 32-bit hosts (and other cleanup)

Jean-Baptiste Queru

May 25, 2011, 12:00:49 PM5/25/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The topic of building Gingerbread (and later) on 32-bit hosts is one
that comes back a lot.

Ying has put together a set of patches that might help, but we don't
have a good way to test them across many environments, and we need
your help.

The patches for 32-bit hosts are http://r.android.com/23134 and
http://r.android.com/23135

We're also using the opportunity to clean up some build warnings that
have been causing some confusion: http://r.android.com/23136 and
http://r.android.com/23137

Ying and I would very much appreciate if people could pull those
changes, test them (preferably on full clean builds) and let us know
whether they cause problems. Testing is relevant both on 32-bit
systems (to check whether they improve the situation) and 64-bit
systems (to try to spot regressions). If possible, please leave
comments in Gerrit, which will be much easier to track than on the
mailing list.

Thanks,
JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

May 27, 2011, 11:16:19 AM5/27/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Since I haven't seen any community feedback, it's hard to know whether
those patches are beneficial, harmful, or ineffective.

If you've been testing those patches, don't be shy, feedback is very
much appreciated.

if you haven't, you can play a small role in the evolution of AOSP and
give them a try.

Thanks,
JBQ

Wei Liao

May 27, 2011, 10:18:07 PM5/27/11
to Android Building
I was going to give this a try, but having a little problem after
getting some system update (fedora 14x64), I think it did something to
my make, now can't build without getting the "you're using ver 3.82 of
make" message, I downgraded to v3.81, it builds for about 20 mins and
errors out :( When I get this resolve I'll give the patch a shot.

now getting butt loads of error.

Chris Schaefer

May 28, 2011, 11:21:50 PM5/28/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
On a 32bit linux machine I'm able to build the froyo branch without issues.

With a clean clone of the gingerbread branch, I applied 23134 and
23135 but the build failed. I figured the other patches were just
warning cleanup's and shouldn't pass/fail a build. I'v attached the
make output -- let me know if you need any additional details about my
environment

chris

> --

gingerbread-32bit-build.log

Wei Liao

May 29, 2011, 10:15:24 AM5/29/11
to Android Building
http://r.android.com/23134 builds fine on my box.
I pulled the http://r.android.com/23135, do a full clean build and got
this error:

find: `frameworks/base/frameworks/base/docs/html': No such file or
directory
find: `out/target/common/docs/gen': No such file or directory
find: `frameworks/base/frameworks/base/docs/html': No such file or
directory
find: `out/target/common/docs/gen': No such file or directory
find: `frameworks/base/frameworks/base/docs/html': No such file or
directory
find: `out/target/common/docs/gen': No such file or directory
find: `frameworks/base/frameworks/base/docs/html': No such file or
directory
find: `out/target/common/docs/gen': No such file or directory
find: `frameworks/base/frameworks/base/docs/html': No such file or
directory
find: `out/target/common/docs/gen': No such file or directory
build/core/base_rules.mk:162: *** external/clearsilver/java-jni:
MODULE.HOST.JAVA_LIBRARIES.clearsilver already defined by build/java-
jni. Stop.

hedwin

May 29, 2011, 7:59:57 AM5/29/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Verified the patches on 32bit ubuntu 11.04 environment.
Build generic-eng, build is ok.

Hedwin

Ying Wang

May 31, 2011, 12:57:06 PM5/31/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,
  The error you got "lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found " is not related to 32bit/64bit issue.
Basically it said GLIBC_2.11 is required by the prebuilt toolchain, but not found on your machine.
There were some discussions about it. Please search in the forum.

Thanks.

Ying Wang

May 31, 2011, 1:06:20 PM5/31/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wei,
  It seems you have a local copy of clearsilver in build/java-jni, which does not exist in the remote git project.
The build system just loads any Android.mk it can find. But it does not allow 2 modules with the same name (and class).
  Could you remove build/java-jni and try again?

  MODULE.HOST.JAVA_LIBRARIES.clearsilver already defined by build/java-
jni.  Stop.

Thanks.

Chris Schaefer

Jun 6, 2011, 4:26:31 PM6/6/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
ah yes thanks -- major user error there

the machine i was using as a test was 64bit, but was running 32bit
linux. i ended up re-installing the 64bit version so looks like i
won't be able to test this out again. thanks for the heads up tho :-)